Cruising from Southampton, England

KAWS

We're looking at a RCCL cruise out of Southampton. We've never been to England before so wondering about flights/port.

I know that sometimes say in Florida you can fly right to the proper port and then it's just a quick taxi ride in. But sometimes you have to fly to another airport (like Orlando Florida) and then drive to Port Canaveral. I think there's a port in Italy that's like that. I'm ok with fiddling around like that in Florida because we've been there so many times. But England is another story. This Canadian is a big chicken!!

So just wondering would we fly directly into Southampton or is there a nearby airport that we would use and then somehow transfer into? This info would be very helpful when it comes time to book the flights for timing etc.

I'm really hoping that this will work out for us. The ports are Spain, Greece and Portugal and of course England to start/finish. Since we haven't been to any of these it just sounds so exciting to us.

Can anyone help me with this sort of information?

We're looking at a RCCL cruise out of Southampton. We've never been to England before so wondering about flights/port.

I know that sometimes say in Florida you can fly right to the proper port and then it's just a quick taxi ride in. But sometimes you have to fly to another airport (like Orlando Florida) and then drive to Port Canaveral. I think there's a port in Italy that's like that. I'm ok with fiddling around like that in Florida because we've been there so many times. But England is another story. This Canadian is a big chicken!!

So just wondering would we fly directly into Southampton or is there a nearby airport that we would use and then somehow transfer into? This info would be very helpful when it comes time to book the flights for timing etc.

I'm really hoping that this will work out for us. The ports are Spain, Greece and Portugal and of course England to start/finish. Since we haven't been to any of these it just sounds so exciting to us.

Hi

You would fly from Canada into either London Heathrow or London Gatwick (Southampton is too small an airport for you to fly direct to there). Then it is about 1 - 2 hrs transfer to Southampton port (depending on traffic)

Thank you! That's exactly the information I was looking for.

Now I know that if we take this cruise that I'd book an additional (minimum) 2 days before and one after just for ease. I always like to come to a port at least the day ahead, but for this one, with time change, etc. I'd probably come in an extra day, and I'd stay the extra so I wouldn't have to stress about making a flight home either.

Thanks again.

Hi, Kim....if you go to the ports of call page, and press the "Britain" button, there's all sorts of Q&A about landing in London, and getting to Southampton. Some people on that page know exactly which train, coach to take, and how much it will cost....then which hotel to stay in. If it helps, Indy often moors almost outside of the Holiday Inn, so people can watch her sail in that morning.

There's more expensive/cheaper hotels than that, and you'll find many cruisers in all of them.

Jo.

Thanks Jo. I'll do that.

I just tried to put in some hypothetical dates to check air fares and would you believe that Toronto - Gatwick is the same as or LESS than Toronto - Florida? Unbelievable.

Hi There

When we are in UK,we stay in Southampton most of the time and always travel from Heathrow or Gatwick by coach,they run about every two hours around the clock on most days,heres the link.If you are over 60 you get half price fares

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
Indy often moors almost outside of the Holiday Inn, so people can watch her sail in that morning.

We've just returned from a 10 night cruise to the Canary Islands on Indy and stayed at the Holday Inn the night before. When we opened our curtains in the morning there she was, 'parked' outside our window :cool:.

We paid £88 for a twin room including breakfast which we thought was a very reasonable rate. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the town centre with its numerous shops, bars and restaurants. Plus, the port gate (number 10) is literally a few yards away.

I did notice that a new Premier Inn had been built across the road and this chain often advertises £29 per night specials which would be an absolute bargain in view of its location.

I didn't know about the new Premier Inn....I'm at H.I. next week, so will check it out.

HI offers free parking, which is why lots use it, but it's the short walk to the dock which is the best selling point.

Jo.

HI offers free parking, which is why lots use it,

Hi Jo,

We used a 3rd party website to book and the rate only included parking for one night. This didn't matter to us as we were sailing with Royal Caribbean which offers free parking at the dock if you book your cruise early enough. I would think that if anyone could get the £29 Premier Inn offer plus free cruiseline parking it would be a great deal.

Regards

Carole

Wow, Carole, that would be some deal, if Premier are offering parking too....

We have free parking this time, but are meeting up with roll call members at HI, so we'll have a fun evening before we board.....I hope! :D

Jo.

I saw the Premier Inn when in Southampton a couple of weeks ago. It is opposite the West Quay Shopping Centre (next to Ikea).

The rates are £59 per night as standard. The hotel does not have a car park.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want an even cheaper hotel, next to the Premier Inn across the road from Holiday Inn there is an Etap - its a French chain which have sound proof rooms with great beds and showers but not much else! No restaurant / bar, free toiletries etc - however there is a Tesco (like Walmart!) and a McDonalds, TGI Fridays next door. These hotels are also within walking distance (providing not too much luggage) from the train station.

If you are from the US try TGI's they are such a different experience to the US!

Shout if need any more - I live 10 miles from Southampton (Soton) and work a mile from the cruise terminals.

Gillian.

If you want an even cheaper hotel, next to the Premier Inn across the road from Holiday Inn there is an Etap - its a French chain which have sound proof rooms with great beds and showers but not much else! No restaurant / bar, free toiletries etc - however there is a Tesco (like Walmart!) and a McDonalds, TGI Fridays next door. These hotels are also within walking distance (providing not too much luggage) from the train station.

If you are from the US try TGI's they are such a different experience to the US!

Shout if need any more - I live 10 miles from Southampton (Soton) and work a mile from the cruise terminals.

Gillian.

If you happen to have any advice on spending a day in the New Forest, it would be appreciated. Are there any drivers/guides/tour companies that do tours of the New Forest? -- please give their names and contact info. if you happen to know it. I know a car rental would be ideal, but driving on the left is a challenge.

If you happen to have any advice on spending a day in the New Forest, it would be appreciated. Are there any drivers/guides/tour companies that do tours of the New Forest? -- please give their names and contact info. if you happen to know it. I know a car rental would be ideal, but driving on the left is a challenge.

A few links here........ they include taxi firms that will do day tours........ or take a short train ride to Ashurst and do the Hop On Hop Off bus. Hope they may be of use! :)

Also try London Toolkit's Southampton Sightseeing

http://www.thehistoryteller.co.uk/newforest.htm

http://www.thenewforesttour.info/

http://www.touristnetuk.com/so/newforest/travel/taxis.htm

A few links here........ they include taxi firms that will do day tours........ or take a short train ride to Ashurst and do the Hop On Hop Off bus. Hope they may be of use! :)

Also try London Toolkit's Southampton Sightseeing

http://www.thehistoryteller.co.uk/newforest.htm

http://www.thenewforesttour.info/

Your information was most helpful. Thank you.

We cruised out of S'hampton last September and ended up doing our own air from Boston to Heathrow. We then took National Coach (which is located right in the airport) direct to Southampton. It is about a 2 hour bus ride and the cost was about $20 RT. We stayed at the Etap Hotel which was walking distance from the bus terminal and also walking distance to the port. There was a boat show going on at the time and all hotels were booked. Did some research and found this hotel which was very basic, but clean and reasonable ($70). We thought everything turned our perfectly.

Compared to renting a self-drive car, the only downside of a tour guide or taxi driver is the cost. The joy of the Forest isn't so much the specific tourist haunts, it's taking to the lanes, mixing moorland and deep forest, close-up fauna & flora and panoramic viewpoints. And that would involve a tourist-driver in a whole lot of research, map-reading, missed sights & missed turnings.

As well as driving on the wrong side of the road ;)

A taxi driver will not have the depth of knowledge of the history etc of the Forest & its sights as a tour guide, but the right driver will know enough to make it interesting. And there's no reason why you can't ask one of the bigger Southampton companies such as www.westquaycars.com/ to provide you with the right driver for the job.

Or, to ensure a knowledgeable local driver, book with a New Forest company such as http://www.andysprivatehire.com/home.html based at Hythe, on the edge of the Forest.

Take the Hythe Ferry http://www.hytheferry.co.uk/travel.php for the 15-minute crossing of Southampton Water from Southampton's Town Quay to the village of Hythe & meet the driver/car there. At the end of the day, same route back. This would avoid the drive out of Southampton, trim the cost, and add a little "cruise" to your day in the Forest.

The right driver can create an itinerary far better than you can.

John Bull :)

We live in London and always take the train to Southampton. So, if you stay in London for a few days prior, that is the way to go.

From Heathrow take the coach (bus) - the coach terminal is inside the airport.

However, from Gatwick there is a train to Southampton which is the most convenient way to go from there. Perhaps not the cheapest though?

We are arriving in Heathrow on 7/13 in the morning and would like to spend the day in London. We would then take the train to Southampton the next day to as our cruise leaves in the afternoon on 7/14. Any suggestions on where to stay in London that is centrally located to the main tourist sites and not too expensive as are traveling with our teenagers and understand most hotels will require us to get 2 rooms?? Also what is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport. And where should would we take the train to Southampton and at what time would you suggest so we are on time to board :) Sorry lots of questions.. appreciate your help...Thanks..

We live in London and always take the train to Southampton. So, if you stay in London for a few days prior, that is the way to go.

From Heathrow take the coach (bus) - the coach terminal is inside the airport.

However, from Gatwick there is a train to Southampton which is the most convenient way to go from there. Perhaps not the cheapest though?

Max cost is £12pp(was £10pp) with the daysave does not run on sundays.

(4 people is £24 and kids are £1)

http://www.southernrailwaytickets.com/buytickets/daysave/DaySave.php?sEvent=TicketDetails

Often cheaper if booked in advance but we don't train much so not sure on the specifics but this link says from £4.45

http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/advance-tickets/

also check super group this can be even lower.

http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/supergroup

Yes, National Express coaches way to go, we used them to get to Heathrow after debark from Crown Princess in Southampton, 1.5 hour journey. Just a £5 cab ride from Mayflower terminal to National Express Depot. I think we paid £10 eac, booked on line (senior rate.)

Also for o/n hotel, try the Ibis, it was ok, the Ibis, ETAP and Novotel all together near the cruise terminal.

What should we pay for a cab ride from Town center to the cruise port?

Also...I have been looking in vain for a Southampton Pub with an email address. All I can find on any of them is street address or phone number. Our cruise critic group wants to have a precruise meal and get together in a centrally located pub(at this count there are 50 of us)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

The following place isn't a pub but I've read about CC members having reunions at this place and they have an email address:

http://www.lamargherita.co.uk/

Sounds like a good place to go, in Town Quay, next to the Red Funnel Ferry terminal.

If it's of any help there's a tourist website that might help with other parts of your visit to Southampton..

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/

ScrozUK

Archived