Ruby VS D737 Detail and Pictures

scbwino

I have just submitted a review of the Ruby 4/17/11 cruise and to help facilitate the research and evaluation of staterooms I wanted to provide some detail and pictures of Ruby VS stateroom D737. This was our fourth spring break cruise, each on a different cruise line (RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess) and all of them very enjoyable.

D737 is an aft Vista Suite on the Dolphin Deck (9) on the starboard side of the Ruby Princess. The stateroom is larger than what is now called the Grand Suite on Carnival and just a tad smaller than the Celebrity Suite on Solstice both of which are smaller than the Owners Suite on RCCL. On the other hand the balcony was huge; the largest we have ever had and a real bonus for this stateroom.

We thought the furnishings were pretty nice. Much better that Carnival’s Grand Suite and comparable to the furnishings in RCCL’s Owners Suite. The Solstice Celebrity Suite had a more rich and high-end look in its furnishings and accessories (almost on par with the PH category on Crystal). In addition to the queen size bed there is a cocktail table and side chair and couch. There is also a wet bar in the entry hallway next to the main TV. The couch can convert 2/3 rd’s of itself into a single berth. There is a pull down bed in the ceiling parallel to the couch. Both were suitable for 10 & 13 year girls to sleep in but I’m not so sure about adults. When the couch is deployed as a berth, floor space does become tight in that area. The bedroom area also had a vanity/writing desk which was next to one of the bathroom entrances which was next to the closet entrance. There is a peninsular wall that holds two TV’s (large facing couch, small facing bed) that helps separate the bedroom and living area’s; there is also a curtain that can be pulled between the two areas for privacy. The bathroom has two entrances: one from the entry hallway and one from the bedroom. The bathroom is separated by a door into two compartments: one with a shower and Jacuzzi tub and the other with the sink and toilet. As has been noted before, there are no shelves or storage in the bathroom. There were plenty of drawers throughout the room and enough hanging space in the small walk-in closet for the belongings of all four of us.

The very large balcony was furnished with two padded loungers with a side table. There is also a round wood table with four padded chairs for dinning. We often had 13 people on the balcony with plenty of room to spare. There is a structural column in the right half of the balcony. It is about two feet or so wide. It really didn’t bother us and in fact I used it to block the sun on several occasions.

We enjoyed the suite amenities; especially the seemingly endless Mimosa’s at Sabatini's. The overall amenity package was way better than Carnival, which did not have any suite amenities that we could recall. It is also better than RCCL’s; the only amenity we remember was access to their concierge lounge which had complementary food and drinks. The suite amenities on Celebrity were similar except that instead of the bar setup you get on Princess you have access to a lounge on Celebrity for complimentary food and drink, which I prefer. However, I thought the Princess daily canapé’s and fruit service was better than what we got on Celebrity. Celebrity also had pseudo butler service which I could do without and which DW found to be a complete letdown after getting used to butler service on a couple of previous Crystal cruises.

Overall we enjoyed our stay in D737 and would recommend it for the large balcony area.

We're going to be in the exact same suite on the Crown end of November

and so excited to see your pictures of the balcony. We love, love the aft balconies & that one looks wonderful.

Thanks for your review & pictures!:)

We're going to be in the exact same suite on the Crown end of November

and so excited to see your pictures of the balcony. We love, love the aft balconies & that one looks wonderful.:)

Same here. We're in D737 in early June. We have tried the same one on the Emerald Princess and thought that it was wonderful.

Last year we booked a similar aft suite on the Queen Victoria (Queens Grill) and I thought it wasn't nearly as good as the one on Emerald. The balcony wrapped round the side which sounds like a good idea until you realise that so does the wind when you are under way. Also, the room service was inferior and the internet reception was poorer. The food in Queens Grill is good at night but the breakfast is way better in Sabatinis.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Thank you for the wonderful photos and description of the stateroom.

My family (four adults) will be in this suite on the 19 Feb 2012 sailing - we haven't drawn straws yet to see who gets the sofa though ;-)

It is nice to see just how large this stateroom actually is, especially the balcony.

Happy Sails to all those aboard the Ruby in the future!

Cheers!

Tom .........../

• 3 weeks later...

My family (four adults) will be in this suite on the 19 Feb 2012 sailing - we haven't drawn straws yet to see who gets the sofa though ;-)

Hopefully you will report back.

Our grown son slept on the couch - he said it was comfortable but only room for one. Only two of the three sections of the couch pull out for the bed. I don't think two adults would fit. There also is the berth that comes down from the ceiling - never saw it down.

Does anyone know how covered the balcony is? I'm looking at this room on the Crown.

We always pick that cabin and were on the Crown for Christmas. It is completely covered so don't plan to get much sun. Early morning and late afternoon you might get some sun but it depends on the direction the ship is heading. If you pull the chaise right next to the railing you will get sun but it isn't very comfortable. We usually get the most the last two days heading home (north) in the Caribbean.

• 3 years later...
Here are some pictures of the large balcony - with people to give you some perspective as to how large it is.

Thank you so much for the photos! We are in D737 on the Emerald and your photos let me know that we made the correct booking choice. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

This suite just popped up as available for our Hawaii cruise. Even though we are past final payment I called Princess this morning about changing from our Riviera Penthouse suite to this one. She grudgingly gave me a courtesy hold booking for this suite until Monday when my TA office is open. Hope I made the right choice but it looks like I did after looking at the reviews.

This suite just popped up as available for our Hawaii cruise. Even though we are past final payment I called Princess this morning about changing from our Riviera Penthouse suite to this one. She grudgingly gave me a courtesy hold booking for this suite until Monday when my TA office is open. Hope I made the right choice but it looks like I did after looking at the reviews.

Fantastic! A great balcony! Wonderful for Hawaii!

Great views back there when anchored off Maui, when leaving Kauai, and when leaving Hilo on the Big Island.

I have had D736 on the Ruby, Star, and Grand. It is the mirror image, on Port Side, of D737.

Aloha!

Thanks, Scbwino, for the great review and the fantastic pictures!

I especially like the balcony pictures! D736 and D737 have the best balconies, ever:)

As mentioned above, I have had D736 on the Ruby, Star, and Grand.

What great memories:)

Happy cruising:)