Videos of a recent visit to the QE2

Cruise Liner Fan

The man in these videos that is in 25 parts, his name is Rob Lightbody and he is from Scotland.His father did help build the QE2 at the John Brown Shipyard in Scotland in the 1960s.Rob did travel to Dubai over the Easter weekend to visit and film his videos aboard the QE2 and he does deserve an A+ for his effort.Here is the link to the webpage that has Rob's QE2 videos www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3166.0.html Regards,Jerry

Hello all. I didn't post a link to my videos here, because she is no longer a current Cunard ship, but thanks anyway to the poster.

Thanks for your comments. The videos have now been viewed over 12000 times in less than a week, so there is still a lot of interest in her out there. They were all shot in a rush, unscripted, and off the cuff - hence the factual errors. The trip was made at short notice at my own expense.

I do not think the QE2 will sail again. When asked, I say that she could in theory - which is the answer i was given on board. That doesn't meant that she will or indeed should.

The sole purpose of my visit, was to clear up rumours that she was ruined inside. These rumours have been circulating on board the current Cunard fleet and I thought they might put off people who might have plans for her. I have no idea what the future holds for her, but I would hope for an SS-Rotterdam style hotel somewhere appropriate.

I am completely tunnel-visioned with regards to QE2, I admit that, and I am not particularly interested in any current cruise ships, except QM2 a bit. I have been on board both QM2 and QV, for a few hours each however.

With regards to the floor-to-celing windows - you're right, i did not put my argument correctly. But certainly QE2's Mauritania and Caronia restaurants vs the new much bigger Britannia restaurants, and all QE2 restaurants versus her predecessors, had dramatically improved sea views - it was one of the main benefits of her aluminium superstructure. It is hard to be on board QE2 in the public areas and not have a sea view.

Thanks Rob for all you do to keep the memory alive of QE2. Will watch these clips again and again. We have such great memories of life on QE2, especially those long easy days at sea on long voyages. We enjoy our "vacations" on the other Cunard ships & look forward to more, however QE2 was our first love and will always be nearest and dearest to our heart. When you get a chance, Rob, do go on the other Cunard ships for a voyage - the crew and officers need old friends - and that connection between all of us is so much a part of the special ambiance which made QE2 dear. Long live QE2!!

Looking at the current condition of QE2 generates some conflicting

thoughts & emotions.

Considering that most realistically she likely has no future in any

capacity, I'm not sure that I wouldn't be happier seeing her rust

stained, mechanically exhausted, and filled with toxic mold on the

inside.

Knowing that she is sitting in near perfect condition, engines running

ready to sail, is somehow even more frustrating and sad.

Archived