Check this out. . .

Tra4

I've not posted here for some time but I have to say this one almost takes the cake. I really find it have to believe almost any of what was written. Some of this may be true but my assumption is that everything after the US Air flight being cancelled is a bit fabricated.

I mean who in their right mind, oh wait they have money "excuse me" would ever, ever pay additional monies like they did, espically for to catch a 10 night cruise.

I'm sorry but there is just NO WAY this story is 100% true.

Felix - IM BACK!

I don't know why this is posted on the South America port message board as its clearly regarding RCCL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=149771

Hopefully this link will work.

I can't imagine not flying in the day before, blaming RCCL for missing Grand Caymen in Dec., etc. Or since its the first post--a new troll???

First of all, this is unlikely to be a troll. The author of the letter signed her family name with an address that verifies through public records (I used Yahoo and 411.com and found the address confirmed by name and address and phone number). So, unless the person is trying to get the Sirum family spammed big time, the letter seems to be legit.

As for not flying down early, that is the mark of a seasoned cruiser. Since the author claimed that she and family were trying for the "vacation of a lifetime" she didn't sound like a seasoned cruiser. The vast majority of first time cruisers fly in the same day not realizing how much easier flying in a day ahead would be. Second, she did what many thought was legit, she arranged airfare through RCI since they guarantee that they will arrange things to accomodate those who fly with them. RCI should have made the arrangements that she requested or up front told her to return home and have the cruise fare reimbursed. They *WERE* responsible for ensuring that she got an alternate flight. When she made the alternate flight arrangements as per consulting with an RCI cruise consultant, they should have held the ship. The ship was due to sail at 17:00 and they arrived at the airport at 16:45. Had this "Steve" done his job, the ship would have held for the 30 minutes extra it would have taken for the RCI greeter to arrange for them to be shuttled or taxi'ed to the port to get on-board. The luggage could have been sent with them and a porter could have carried it on-board for them. I've seen this happen on a prior cruise that was held up for an hour for a late arriving flight and a busload of pax that were shuttled in. All it would have taken was a phone call and it could have been handled. Apparently, this agent blew it. And since they have given day-credits to other pax for far smaller problems, I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to give it here. However, we are only reading one side of the issue and don't know RCI's response. However, I can't fault the author for trying to get some or part of her vacation especially after consulting with RCI. And note, in the header, she commented that she hadn't been reimbursed yet for anything including the 3 days she had missed. Apparently she asked for full reimbursement, but would have accepted day-credit for the 3 days that they missed due to RCI's mishandling of the alternative arrangements.

For those who doubt it, this is not the first case like this. I have read of others through both the boards and through other media about travellers who have fallen through the cracks and the story is extremely credible to me. Although I have fortunately not had the poor fortune that this family did, I have heard enough stories (including the stories of people I was travelling with last month) to understand that mistakes happen and sometimes mistakes on a grand scale happen.

I for one do believe that RCI could easily have created this type of mess. Considering that they have tens of thousands of pax per week, even if they had less than 0.01% major error rate (highly unlikely it would be that small) that would still be at least one or more major errors per week. Why is this so incredible to some?

Maybe I missed something but why was it posted before RCI had time to rectify it? Don't get me wrong, I feel absolutely terrible for this family - even if they have money to go to the length they did to salvage it. I couldn't imagine RCI not reimbursing them something but I would imagine this will take time.

I hope they have better luck next time because vacations are too precious to have this kind of stress and bad weather on top of everything else. :(

Maybe I missed something but why was it posted before RCI had time to rectify it? Don't get me wrong, I feel absolutely terrible for this family - even if they have money to go to the length they did to salvage it. I couldn't imagine RCI not reimbursing them something but I would imagine this will take time.

I hope they have better luck next time because vacations are too precious to have this kind of stress and bad weather on top of everything else. :(

Again, the mark of an unseasoned cruiser. They had a bad experience and they sent a letter. Rather than wait for an answer and post if they got an unsatisfactory answer, they posted their problem "so everyone would know what RCI was like".

I personally would want to hear RCI's response before I took this incident at more than a bad experience gone worse and holding it against RCI. However, it doesn't make me doubt that it happened, just that I think that RCI will provide some sort of compensation to the author given enough time and appropriate nudging (like the letter).

Well, the link doesn't work anymore -- has it been moved, or deleted? Anyway, I have to say that I completely believe it, including all details. I found nothing in there that was difficult to believe. I've heard and read of many nightmares like this.

Regarding the question of why did they post it before RCI had time to rectify it -- as I can't access the original link, I'm not sure when they posted it. But given that the cruise happened more than three months ago, if they just posted it now, seems to me they DID give RCI ample time, and they apparently haven't. I feel for this family.

LeeAnne

My heart goes out to this entire family. If I were in her shoes, I would have posted it before RCCL had a chance to rectify, too. She should be compensated for all she had to go thru. You trust in the company, arrange everything thru them, and then you still get screwed? Who's to say it won't happen to me next time, or any of you?

It certainly wasn't RCCL's fault that USAir had their little "sick day." But it certainly wasn't that families fault either. RCCL should have been on the ball and trying to arrange flights long before any of these people arrived at the airport. I would think a company this large would have a 'game plan' because this wasn't the first time the airlines have had a huge number of employees call in sick or went on strike.

I hope this family gets reimbursed every penny, and it would be nice if they could get a very discounted future cruise.

I agree with LeeAnne and Lisa. Although we don't have the link to the original posting, it seems to be recent, and that's almost three months after the disaster.

And snoopy/Ted is right: *Steve* should have called and held the ship for them. Someone posted that very kind of story on this board.

I certainly can believe her story! After MY disaster in the same time frame, I got a response email from Royal Caribbean on FEBRUARY 25 - that was their reply to my email of 12/26/04!

Some people asked why I didn't chase the Jewel to Mexico, after not being able to get to Fort Lauderdale, and being told that we would be denied boarding in Key West.

THIS IS WHY!! FEAR of THIS happening to us!

Carol

Carol----you would know! You lived this nightmare yourself! I can't imagine. I don't know what I would have done. Most likely I would have put out for the airfare assuming I would be reimbursed just because you plan so long and I can't even imagine the disappointment! I am glad your story had a happy ending Carol. It may give this family a bit of hope.

I will tell you who will pay the extra. We did back in April of 04 in order do do an 11 day Hawaii cruise. This is the only time we have ever booked air with Rccl and it was because it was 900$ cheaper than we could do on our own. Needless to say everything was double checked 1 day before but when we got to the airport our seats were canceled so the only way to solve the problem was to re-buy air to California. To make a long story short Rccl refunded all moneys as a credit on our seapass and also gave us a gs free of charge. We also got wine and all sorts of things(they gave us vip status). It was like they followed us around the ship for 11 days trying to make sure everything was ok. The head waiter was at our table everynight talking to us by name. Anyway we found out that Rccl uses a Ta to do air and they screwed it up. It is called Sabre. We are multiple cruisers with Rccl and have used these boards for years.

Things like this happen with cruising which is why they offer insurance. Yes, I feel for the family, and we have had our own problems with cruising in the past--missed flights, ships, etc.

However, all this is spelled out for you esp. at the holiday season. The cruiseline gives disclosure to not going to islands missed, identifies flight problems, and really doesn't guarentee anything until you are on that ship.

And why post it on the South America port thread??????????

I'm sure this was the special 10 day holiday sailing. A few of the RC ships did this itinerary this year since Christmas and New Year's fell on Saturday.

Lisa, the difference is that RC could have cared LESS what happened to me. I only got reimbursed by the insurance company (FINALLY) - RC couldn't even be bothered TALKING to me. They were offering NOTHING.

I REALLY wish this family good luck.

Carol

Yikes! :eek: If this is for real, I hope they had the insurance. The only question I have is why anyone would post their name, address and phone number on a public forum. Unlesssssssss, it isn't theirs?

There's no way you couldn't feel bad for these people and I see no reason to doubt the validity.

Having said that however,it sounds as if RCCL wasn't really that bad.

PLEASE don't take this as contentious or a flame. It is not meant that way. When things go horribly wrong like this everyone looks for someone else to blame.It just seems like blaming RCCL for this, at least in this case, may be pointing the finger at the wrong place.

Here are a few things to think about.

1. We arrived at he airport to find our flight cancelled: RCCL tells you to confirm your flights before going to the airport.

2.We were placed on hold for an hour and 20 minutes: Hang up and call back until you get someone to help you.

3.We arrived at 4:45pm and had missed the ship: Except in the case of severe weather I have never heard of a ship leaving port early.In the case of severe weather they don't have a choice. They are MADE to leave.

4.Wrong Best Western: Posiibly RCCL's fault. Possibly the transport driver.

5. I called RCCL again and was placed on hold: Chances are, they had to call around to figure out what mistake had been made just as the hotel did.This takes time and I would expect to be placed on hold.

6. We were tired and hungry and (being Christmas Eve) all the restaurants were closed: Not really RCCL's fault.

7.Told to call RCCL in morning for flight arrangements: It's Christmas ( one of the busiest travel days of the year) and it probably took time to find a flight that was CONFIRMED. RCCL would not want to give info on an unconfirmed flight and confuse these peole more.Yet, she doesn't wait as instructed but calls around on her own.

8.Steve didn't know anything about the Continental flight to Cozumel yet in the next sentence, he gives her a confirmation number.

9.Continental informed her that the tickets were not paid for: Unless they bought cruise insurance, it would not be paid for. IF THEY HAD CRUISE INSURANCE THEN IT WOULD BE RCCL'S FAULT.

10.Placed on hold for 2 hours and 20 minutes:Who the heck would stand there holding that long? See point 2.

11.We were just abandoned by Royal Caribbean: Again, without cruise insurance, RCCL doesn't have any responsibility to get you to the ship.

12.It was sleeting in New Orlenas and plane was delayed: Unless RCCL has alot more power than I know about, this was not their fault.

13.Connecting flight missed due to delay: This happens unfortunately, and is not RCCL's fault.

14.Getting the recording that RCCL was closed for Christmas: OKAY...THIS ONE IS RCCL's FAULT AND IS A LEGITIMATE PROBLEM IF TRUE.

15.Once again, we were abandoned by RCCL: Once again, without cruise insurance it isn't their responsibilty. Also, it DEFINITELY isn't their fault that the plane was missed so why would you expect them to arrange for a motel? Continental should have, and they did.

16.Here we are Christmas Day without our luggage: What happened to the luggage? I don't think it is ever stated. BUT even if it is, it isn't RCCL's fault.

17.After going to airport again they are looking for transportation for 15 minutes then AGAIN jump the gun and go buy transport tickets. Then they find the guy that RCCL had OBVIOUSLY SENT HOLDING THEIR NAME ON A SIGN TO MAKE IT EASY TO FIND HIM. Evidently, RCCL was still doing more than they were obligated to do to help these people.

18.They get to the ship and find boxes stacked in their room: THIS ONE HAS ME PERPLEXED BUT IF TRUE IS 100% RCCL's FAULT. I just can't imagine why they would use ANY guest room as storage. It isn't like they don't have places to store everything when the ship is full????

19.They arrive on the ship anxious to see Cozumel and unpack (evidently the luggage they didn't have on Christmas is back now) : If it were me, I think I would leave the unpacking until later, throw the luggage in the room and go see Cozumel.

20.Weather in Grand Cayman too rough: RCCL is OBVIOUSLY thinking of the safety of the passengers by not stopping. It is stated clearly that this can happen.Again, what did RCCL do wrong by thinking of safety first?

21.Rock wall cancelled because of high wind: That's a good thing. Who would want their kid climbing a wall in high wind and rain and getting hurt?

22.Outdoor pool in the open and cold: Yea, it's outside. That would happen in bad weather.BUT again, not RCCL's fault.

23. The teen activities are cancelled or not happening: If they were outdoors, this would make sense. If not, why were they cancelled?

24.The wind was very bad: RCCL does not and cannot guarntee nice weather.

Neither can Disney, Carnival, Celebrity, etc.

25.They ask for their money back: What did RCCL do wrong when the facts are examined? It seems to me they did more then necessary without these peole having insurance.

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS AND I MAY WELL BE WRONG.

I AM GOING ONLY ON THE FACTS STATED HERE.

I SEE NO REASON WHY RCCL SHOULD REIMBURSE THIS FAMILY FOR THE TRIP ALTHOUGH IT TURNED OUT HORRIBLE AND I FEEL BAD FOR THEM.

HOWEVER, SOMETIMES WHEN THINGS GO WRONG WE JUST NEED TO LOOK AT THE REAL REASONS AND NOT BLAME THE EASIEST TARGET.

Number 1, Christmas Eve, you know all hell breaks loose on that day.

Number 2, December Weather is hell, lots of cancellations

Number 3, Its best to fly the day before, especially on holidays

This is the part that gets me, arriving at 4:45pm even if it was 5pm the Cruise contact at the airport will call the ship and hold them at the pier, They would fire up their emergency action plan as I seen it done before, Its like the Secret Service, they Take you and your family throw you into the van and rush you to the ship, they keep Radio communication with the ship at all time as the ship is pulling their Mooring lines the Brow is still attached to the pier, your luggage will follow you later at the next port. while youre in transite you register with them and its all verified, this was done on RCCL before and Carnival, I guess Xmas eve had alot to do with it.

Why isn't any blame placed on the airline????? If you ask me most of the blame lies there. And weather problems... well give me a break..in December anything is possible. I went to Hawaii last December and it was windy and cool, who do I demand a rebate from? Our plane was delayed due to snow in the connecting airport going and we had to take a later connection, and part of our luggage was delayed. Maybe I should have been more upset, but guess what I still had a good time and understood things happen due to weather:rolleyes: And as Deb said..post your name on a public board? for what reason?:eek:

There's no way you couldn't feel bad for these people and I see no reason to doubt the validity.

Having said that however,it sounds as if RCCL wasn't really that bad.

PLEASE don't take this as contentious or a flame. It is not meant that way. When things go horribly wrong like this everyone looks for someone else to blame.It just seems like blaming RCCL for this, at least in this case, may be pointing the finger at the wrong place.

Here are a few things to think about.

1. We arrived at he airport to find our flight cancelled: RCCL tells you to confirm your flights before going to the airport.

*I* printed out my e-ticket and was CONFIRMED on our flight less than 24 hours before flight time. USAir was cancelling flights at the last minute, with people standing there in the airport, simply waiting for a gate number to be posted. DON'T BLAME THE VICTIM!
2.We were placed on hold for an hour and 20 minutes: Hang up and call back until you get someone to help you.
If you hang up and call again, you go to the back of the queue AGAIN. YES, Royal Caribbean's customer service is THIS bad.
3.We arrived at 4:45pm and had missed the ship: Except in the case of severe weather I have never heard of a ship leaving port early.In the case of severe weather they don't have a choice. They are MADE to leave.
Bull Hockey. RCCL holds ships ALL THE TIME for late-arriving passengers, particularly in the U.S.
4.Wrong Best Western: Posiibly RCCL's fault. Possibly the transport driver.

5. I called RCCL again and was placed on hold: Chances are, they had to call around to figure out what mistake had been made just as the hotel did.This takes time and I would expect to be placed on hold.

I am trying to imagine YOU in this scenario, natish, being ENDLESSLY patient, smiling and laughing at what a fun time you were having.
6. We were tired and hungry and (being Christmas Eve) all the restaurants were closed: Not really RCCL's fault.
Maybe not, but the OP certainly has a right to make this part of her general complaint. SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ON THE SHIP.
7.Told to call RCCL in morning for flight arrangements: It's Christmas ( one of the busiest travel days of the year) and it probably took time to find a flight that was CONFIRMED. RCCL would not want to give info on an unconfirmed flight and confuse these peole more.Yet, she doesn't wait as instructed but calls around on her own.
Actually, Christmas Day itself is NOT one of the busiest days of the year. And THAT'S THEIR JOB. They are in the TRAVEL BUSINESS.
8.Steve didn't know anything about the Continental flight to Cozumel yet in the next sentence, he gives her a confirmation number.
And what did Continental tell her? That RC HAD booked her on that flight; they just hadn't TOLD *HER* THAT. *She* had to discover it by calling around HERSELF.
9.Continental informed her that the tickets were not paid for: Unless they bought cruise insurance, it would not be paid for. IF THEY HAD CRUISE INSURANCE THEN IT WOULD BE RCCL'S FAULT.
No, RC told her that they would get her there; it IS RC's responsibility because THEY hadn't gotten her to her cruise in the first place.
10.Placed on hold for 2 hours and 20 minutes:Who the heck would stand there holding that long? See point 2.
See RESPONSE to point 2.
11.We were just abandoned by Royal Caribbean: Again, without cruise insurance, RCCL doesn't have any responsibility to get you to the ship.
Yes, they do. See Post #14, from "setsail."

Fascinating. Royal Caribbean is just the "easiest target"? Royal Caribbean booked her on the original flights; they ARE responsible for getting her to the ship on time; this STEVE character, a Royal employee, seems to have been the destroyer of all things hopeful. If he had been doing his job properly, these people would never have been subjected to all of this; he would have radioed ahead, the ship would have waited 15 or 20 minutes, and all would have been well.

Natish, try a little empathy the next time before you start accusing people of wanting more than they deserve.

Carol

Very well put, Carol. This is not a case of someone being pissed because they had an excursion planned at Grand Cayman and did not make that port.

Our first cruise, we booked everything directly thru RCCL. That was the only time we did that, and we will never do it again. Paying the extras for the transfer......loading a big bus with dozens of other people and their luggage.....no thanks.....we'll get a cab ourselves. You assume that because they are in the "travel business" they would know what to do in unexpected situations. And to repeat what Carol said, why attack the victim?

I also agree with the previous poster that too many people act as though RCCL can do no wrong. Believe me, RCCL has some morons working for them, just like every other large company does. I think the entire chain of events starts with "Steve" not doing his job and snowballs from there.

I hope these people get reimbursed for all the extra flights they had to take, and for their cruise. I think that is the least RCCL can do for them----and maybe to find out who this "Steve" character is and give him the boot.

If you'll remember the Dec. weather. There were snow storms all over the place on Christmas Eve. All the major airlines had cancelled flights up and down the coast and in the mid-west.

I think if this letter is indeed fact, RCI will take care of them. I do feel they should have given them a chance before going public. I once wrote a cruise line and it was in no way as bad as this family. Mine was just a complaint over something that happened on the ship and I received a voucher for $200 off my next cruise.

I completely believe this story...and as other people have mentioned, it has all of the signs of a new cruiser...while having more experience probably would have helped prevent a lot of the problems they had, let's face it...everyone has to have their FIRST cruise sometime, right? :) So you cannot blame them for being unsophisticated in the challenges of cruising in winter, especially if they have not encountered a community like CC before leaving.

If I had to give any advice to them or anyone else who has this issue, I'd suggest that any letter to RCI have at least one section at the beginning or end that bulletpoints the facts clearly without an emotional narrative, and states clearly what the expected resolution is (the total amount in dollars, broken down by expense). It helps boil down the situation to "brass tacks", clearly shows what the customer perceives to be RCI's role and responsibility, and describes exactly what it is that the customer wants in return. Stating the case and expectation succinctly and dispassionately makes RCI's job easier, which you really do want if you expect a quick response, especially one with a check in it :)

One thing this poor family's story reinforces with me is the value of a GOOD travel agent. I had similar weather problems on a December cruise back in 2003 (and I'd already booked a flight a day early!) and the TA worked off-hours jointly with me to set up the flights and cancel hotel arrangements. He spent time on hold (and arguing) with RCL and I spent time on hold (and arguing) with the airlines, and we sent messages to one another when we had any updates or news. I know that without his extra help I would never have gotten a flight down to the ship in time (and paid for by the cruise line). He also helped me manage the cruise insurance claim.

I hope that this family is reimbursed for the considerable expenses incurred for this trip. If anything, their experience will hopefully be a valuable lesson if they choose to cruise in the future.

Cheers,

Esther

Archived