Check this out. . .

Tra4

[quote name='dc-snoopy']And I hate posters who attack and harass new posters with negative responses rather than welcoming them and chase them away so that they don't feel comfortable with the forum and coming back.

The nasties around here have a way of creating "trolls" out of newcomers that truly appalls me.[/QUOTE]

Calling people nasties isn't exactly a positive way to interact with others. :rolleyes: However, it is very dramatic and provocative.:rolleyes: Again, not really conducive to that loving feeling you are looking for is it?:rolleyes:

Are you a lawyer, Snoopy?

jc

MANY of us are appalled at the way new posters with bad experiences are routinely flamed, harrassed and ridiculed. I would agree that name-calling is probably not the most effective thing to do in here, however, I can't help but understand exactly how he feels, and what drove him to do it!

LeeAnne

Even if you are a new cruiser, when you spend as much money as you do for a 10 day Holiday cruise (I know this as we were on the Brilliance last year for 10 days over New Years), you do your own homework. Its December for one, there are ALWAYS air delays. You cannot ever assume anything!! Especiallly that the cruiseline will make everything alright. The airlines caused their biggest problems which was getting in too late to make the ship. Everything after was a domino effect. Being on Christmas day without eating was not anyones fault as well as missing Grand Cayman, going to the wrong hotel first, missing Cozumel due to unpacking, etc.

Its a difficult lesson to learn, but lets face it, we have all had vacations that things didn't go as planned. A free cruise won't change that, and if RCCL gave a free cruise to everyone that missed the ship due to flight delays they would be in the same situation as our airline industry.

Well I can live with that, DC.

As I explained before, and I will say it again, I am often sceptical of people that post a complaint as the very first thing they ever post here.

I am not going to apologize for that.

They did not ask for help or advice in remedying this situation.

And as I stated before, I wish them the best.

And hate is a very strong emotion. Sure you want to waste all that energy on me?

celtic

[quote name='celtic selke']Well I can live with that, DC.

As I explained before, and I will say it again, I am often sceptical of people that post a complaint as the very first thing they ever post here.

I am not going to apologize for that.

They did not ask for help or advice in remedying this situation.

And as I stated before, I wish them the best.

And hate is a very strong emotion. Sure you want to waste all that energy on me?

celtic[/QUOTE]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=red]If you can dish out the criticism you should be open to receiving a dose in response.[/color][/font]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred][/color][/size][/font][/i][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]I hate to be the one to have to bring this up, but all this lively debate/discussion may just be for nothing. On the other side, there are many questions that haven't been answered.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]1. Was the OP, legit to begin with, especially since the original thread has been removed?[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]2. Why is the OP now listed as an invalid user.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]3. Which Air/Sea policy of RCI's is the real McCoy?[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]4. Is RCI's disclaimer on Air/Sea packages legally binding?[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]5. Will the OP ever return to this board.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]6. What ever happend to Bicker?? :D [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]7. Is Elvis alive and well, working as a Walmart greeter in Lochapoka, Al. ? :eek: [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='stretch'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]I hate to be the one to have to bring this up, but all this lively debate/discussion may just be for nothing. On the other side, there are many questions that haven't been answered.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]1. Was the OP, legit to begin with, especially since the original thread has been removed?[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]2. Why is the OP now listed as an invalid user.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]3. Which Air/Sea policy of RCI's is the real McCoy?[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]4. Is RCI's disclaimer on Air/Sea packages legally binding?[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]5. Will the OP ever return to this board.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]6. What ever happend to Bicker?? :D [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]7. Is Elvis alive and well, working as a Walmart greeter in Lochapoka, Al. ? :eek: [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch [/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE]

LOL I especially liked # 7. Do you think he is still working on that 'review' of his? I've been back for over almost a month now, and he was gone before me......that has got to be some review!

Very valid questions......all of them ( well, most all of them ) :D and if it wasn't true, someone has a very vivid imagination and perhaps they should write a book to pass their time.......If it did happen......those people deserve a total refund......but that is just my opinion.

Leave it to the ole partying tiger to get us to sing Kumbaya.... Thanks StretchO. I think.:confused: :D

Still wondering who are those in this thread that are qualified to speak about all of the legalities. :confused: :D
jc

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Calling people nasties isn't exactly a positive way to interact with others. :rolleyes: However, it is very dramatic and provocative.:rolleyes: Again, not really conducive to that loving feeling you are looking for is it?:rolleyes:

Are you a lawyer, Snoopy?

jc[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are correct. Name-calling isn't the way to pass the peace pipe around the circle. Do I hear the Righteous Brothers humming in the background? It was intended to be dramatic and provocative and hopefully to shame or shock some people into lightening up a bit on new posters. Apparently it didn't work as at least one self-admitted skeptic plans to be just as abrasive to new posters in the future as he has in the past.

No, I am not a lawyer, however, I have worked with computer investigations of federal computer crimes. Trying to determine what is and is not within the constraints of published laws (or interpretting laws for what can be prosecuted and what cannot) gives me experience in reading laws and interpretting laws. Not the same as a practicing lawyer, but more than some laymen.

Celtic, no I don't waste the energy/emotion. In fact after I read one of those very rude and negative posts, I tend to respond and move on and tend not to carry it with me. So perhaps you are right...hate is to strong a word, but it does get the image across that I find that type of posting to be very distasteful and uncharitable.

You know, Snoopy, many of us work in the real world and have experience with legal proceedings and with the way things work in the the real world. Just a thought, that while you are undoubtedly a very bright individual and thoughtful, that others might have insights just as deep as your own. Again, just a thought. ;)

Trying to stop perceived rude behavior by admittedly provocative and dramatic behavior intending to shame others, might just have the opposite result. Again, just a thought. ;)

In the meantime, please join the "Righteous Brothers" in another rousing chorus of Kumbaya........ as lead by the now drunk partying Tiger from down south in Dixie. :D

jc

[quote name='xpcdoojk']You know, Snoopy, many of us work in the real world and have experience with legal proceedings and with the way things work in the the real world. Just a thought, that while you are undoubtedly a very bright individual and thoughtful, that others might have insights just as deep as your own. Again, just a thought. ;) [/QUOTE]

I never doubted it. Notice that I used "...more than some laymen" not "more than many laymen" or even "more than most laymen" just more than some. I reserve the same right as many other posters to post my opinions. I certainly have no more control over RCI than any other customer, but I know how I would present my case to them should I be in a similar situation.

[QUOTE]Trying to stop perceived rude behavior by admittedly provocative and dramatic behavior intending to shame others, might just have the opposite result. Again, just a thought. ;) [/QUOTE]

True, but from my perspective, ignoring it has just made it blossom. I doubt we'll catch those experienced posters who are set in their ways and just don't care. But, I think that many of the "jump on the bandwagon" and "beat the dead OP" types may think twice about this behaviour.

[QUOTE]In the meantime, please join the "Righteous Brothers" in another rousing chorus of Kumbaya........ as lead by the now drunk partying Tiger from down south in Dixie. :D [/QUOTE]

Kumbaya, AGAAAAIIIIINNNNN? Can't we sing something else, daddy?

Royal Caribbeans Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired. I would believe anything after what happened to a large group we had booked on RCI New England cruise 9-15-01, 4 days after the infamous 9-11. The ship sailed out of Boston, RCI told us they would not refund anyone any of their money if they did not sail. On Friday they opened Boston airport, on Saturday morning they closed it again, our group was at the airport ready to board the plane and it was cancelled due to the fact the airport was not open. RCI refused to give these people a refund, they said, "the ship sailed, therefore they would not refund any money". It took us many months of phone calls and letters to finally get them a cruise certificate for the amount of their cruise. People can say all they want to about Carnival, but they immediately refunded everyones money that chose not to sail from any port several weeks following 9-11. No questions, just refunds. I even had one couple sailing in Nov who did not want to go, Carnival, without hesitation, gave them the option to rebook at a later date. That is cusomer service in my book!

One thing about Rccl is that they have a preaty good web site, good enough that you can go back and surf all the press releases for several years, even around 9/11. Maybe the press release dated Sept. 13,2001 should be checked out for useful info.

For those people who may not be very Internet-savvy and not know how to find the press releases, here is the text of the referenced press release:

[quote name='Royal Caribbean International']

[img]http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/images/misc/web_page/header/cor_pressrelease_hdr.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/s.gif[/img]

[left][b]Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises Provide Special Cancellation Policy[/b][/left]
[b]
MIAMI - September 13, 2001 / 5:15 p.m. EST[/b] - Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced that due to the interruption of the air transportation system, both Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises will allow guests booked on cruises that depart on or before September 16 to postpone their cruise. Those guests who are unable to meet their cruise due to flight interruptions will receive a credit of up to the amount they paid toward a future cruise.

Guests being impacted by the interruption of air service should contact their travel agent or either Royal Caribbean International at 1-800-327-6700 or Celebrity Cruises at 1-800-437-3111 prior to the departure time of their cruise. The rescheduled cruise must be taken prior to December 15, 2002. Guest booked on cruises after September 16, will be subject to normal cancellation policies.

The company's reservations personnel are currently available on a 24-hour basis. Guest calling from the United Kingdom or Ireland should dial +44 (0) 1932-834440. Guest calling from France should dial 0800 204060. Guest calling from Scandinavia should dial +47 22 51-3780. All other international guests should contact their local cruise representatives.

The company has established a help desk to assist family members wanting to check the status of loved ones onboard ships. Family members may call 1-888-829-4050. Shipboard guests with relatives who may have been impacted by this week's attacks are being provided free phone lines to check on their well being.

Itinerary changes will be made public as soon as possible, as well as posted on the Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises websites.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Royal Celebrity Tours. Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises have a combined total of 22 ships in service and seven under construction or on firm order. Royal Celebrity Tours operates land-tour vacations in Alaska utilizing the world's largest glass-domed railcars.
[/QUOTE]

You know the [b][color=red]Airline[/color][/b] was the one that caused this. Why no anger towards them? And let me tell you from experience no TA in the world can fix it when the airline gets it's back up. I went thru hell replacing a flight for my son's honeymoon cruise. The online agency were on the phone for days with the airline and when outages in an airline occurs, all the other airlines get filled up. The only way a replacement flight could be had is that we had to go to the nearest airport to get a refund in person, but not an immediate refund, one that took months. So money does have to be laid out by YOU for a new flight, this is their policy, not the TA or the cruisline.You know there may have been no way to resolve it easliy. No offense but some people are very niave to the workings of the real world. These things do take time.:rolleyes:

And again until you know the whole story, why get so crazy nuts?:eek:

All I have to say is, to all the posters who say:
1. "RCI should not be held responsible", OR "the Sirums have to take their part of the responsibility",
2. "The Sirum Family don't necessarily deserve a full refund or free future cruise",
3. "I'm skeptical of the validity of the story" (it really doesn't matter...stuff like this could and does happen)

etc., etc., (you get the gist), I have one question...

If something like this happened to YOU, how would you feel, and what would you do? I'm pretty sure you would want reimbursement (at LEAST partial).

And for those of you who are smugly thinking "nothing like this would happen to me because I would know better"...HAH! You better knock wood!!! (For example, 9-11 happened to everyone!)

Archived