Got new camera -- have question

We just got a new Canon Powershot SX130IS for our upcoming Alaska cruise. What is the best recording pixel setting to use?

This camera does so much, I'm trying to memorize the manual 'cause it's way too big to carry around with me!

I'd set it at the highest level: 4000 x 3000

Enjoy the new camera!

We just got a new Canon Powershot SX130IS for our upcoming Alaska cruise. What is the best recording pixel setting to use?

This camera does so much, I'm trying to memorize the manual 'cause it's way too big to carry around with me!

Agreed! Always shoot at the highest resolution. Size decisions are a one-way street. You can make an large image smaller for e-mail or posting on a board, but you can't make a small image larger to print without some loss of quality.

Here's an article I wrote that explains some of the image settings that you may have questions about.

http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/VivaLaResolution.htm

Happy shooting!

Dave

Thank you Chipmaster and Dave. Dave the article was very helpful. Are you a professional photographer? I have currently set at the normal setting, or I guess standard, but felt the "fine" or highest would be better quality.

Thanks again for the advice!

I was looking at that camera liked it but the continues shooting time or I guess it's shutter speed changed my mind so I got the Nikon P500 for my Alaska cruise and yes lots to remember but only had it 2 days . First I read the manual now I am going around taking pictures of everything just to try it out at all the settings it really has helped me better than just reading the manual and has given me a feel for what the camera is all about .

...Dave the article was very helpful. Are you a professional photographer?

I guess if you classify a "pro" as someone who has occasionally been paid to do photography, I would qualify. In truth, I'm just someone who loves photography and has since the age of ten. I would love to make my living as a photographer, but am probably happier taking photos because I want to rather than because I have to.

Glad the article helped.

Enjoy your new camera!

Dave

Some amateurs may be as good as pros... or perhaps I should say more creative at times.

While pros are indeed creative, they are also concerned with production - to get the product out. Creativity may take a backseat to production at times. Of course, if they are not creative enough, no one will buy their photos.

On the other hand, sometimes amateurs are more interested in creativity and do not have the pressure of production.

But it never hurts to have a little luck as well.

Just my thoughts...

Archived