Jeans in steakhouse

NAUdebo

Per John Heald:

Jeans are allowed in the Steakhouse on all ships beginning immediately.

Thoughts?

They were already allowed.

This has been in the Carnival FAQ well BEFORE John's announcement.

"The dress code for the Steakhouse is Cruise Elegant (Jeans permitted on Cruise Casual evenings)."

I have seen jeans in the Steakhouse already.

Personally, I don't like it.

I like dressing smart for nice meals but so this wont impact me but I undertand the change.

One of my 'looks' is a smart pair of dark jeans, shirt and jacket - think this is a smart look

I like dressing smart for nice meals but so this wont impact me but I undertand the change.

One of my 'looks' is a smart pair of dark jeans, shirt and jacket - think this is a smart look

sounds really smart:rolleyes:

I have been wearing a Caribbean shirt and silk pants w/sandels for years in the steakhouse. Somebody wants to wear jeans go for it. I want to be comphy when I go out to eat and the temp is 85 to 90 Deg. and Im in the caribbean sailing I would even go for dress shorts also.:D:D:D Now do away with elegant night. The dress police are going to be fired.

I still have not seen anyone address my point that jeans were already allowed in the Steakhouses on any night other than Cruise Elegant night. I don't understand why this is being touted as new.

But again, I don't like it. Which is fine. My business can go elsewhere.

It's academic really what the policies are (not just dress policies) because they are continually ignored by both guests and Carnival staff. They may as well not be there.

And please, before anyone jumps all over me, I'm just expressing my opinion. I am not looking down on anyone that wants to ignore policies, that's your choice and I have no say in it. But I am allowed to not like it.

We went to the Golden Fleece on a non-elegant evening and did not see anyone dressed in jeans- zip -nada .... Seriously, it's not a Ponderosa or The Golden Corral. Somehow the jeans thing, no matter how nice a pair they may be, just doesn't fit in with the ambiance of the Steak House. But who knows, perhaps this is just another ploy by Carnival to puff up more reservations for the steak house. I can just picture the hostess ringing the dinner bell now... -- " Come and get it ! "

Any establishment that hosts a sommelier and and this kind of upscale service, should at the very least negate the wearing of a pair of Docker pants and a dress shirt. JMHO

huh? They weren't before? I have seen folks wear nice jeans in the steakhouse many times. Pretty sure I have worn them a time or two as well. The only dress code in the steak house I was aware of was "smart casual and gentlemen must have a jacket on formal nights"

We went to the Golden Fleece on a non-elegant evening and did not see anyone dressed in jeans- zip -nada .... Seriously, it's not a Ponderosa or The Golden Corral. Somehow the jeans thing, no matter how nice a pair they may be, just doesn't fit in with the ambiance of the Steak House. But who knows, perhaps this is just another ploy by Carnival to puff up more reservations for the steak house. I can just picture the hostess ringing the dinner bell now... -- " Come and get it ! "

Any establishment that hosts a sommelier and and this kind of upscale service, should at the very least negate the wearing of a pair of Docker pants and a dress shirt. JMHO

So a $150 pair of jeans are trashier than Uncle Ed's walmart slacks? Sure. And if you think that guy with the tasting cup is a sommelier, you'll be in for a rude surprise when you mention that it was a wet spring in Alsace.....

So a $150 pair of jeans are trashier than Uncle Ed's walmart slacks? Sure. And if you think that guy with the tasting cup is a sommelier, you'll be in for a rude surprise when you mention that it was a wet spring in Alsace.....

Woo is me - I personally don't care what anyone wears./doesn't wear/won't wear and I also am a wine taster but a cup does not make me a sommelier. But when I go to the steak house I do like to dress up but that is me - I have even seen people with jeans and hoodies on - did it ruin my dinner - not a chance. I am with the one I love and enjoy our time together not others time. Personally, I feel they should drop all of the codes and let people do what they want to do/when they want to do/how they want to do - it does not affect me what so ever.

I agree. I squatted down on the floor to look under the table and noticed the "dreaded jeans", I left immediately, even the ponderosa didn't allow such ambiance killers. Last cruise we were on paradise beach in coz, and while on the beach two men were walking on the beach in slacks and button up shirts, talk about a ambiance killer, there was even a professional lifeguard, it ruined the whole ambiance of the beach so we left. Please quit ruining our ambiance!:D

Don't think that they won't allow jeans in there on "Elegant" night as well, I have seen that more than once.

We will be in the Steakhouse each of our upcoming nights on the Valor and expect to see it all...

Tom

A few years ago on the Pride my son was asked to change from his Kacki shorts to long pants. He had a collared shirt, but they said no shorts.

I was a little taken aback, only because I didn't see any dress code displayed. He changed into his dress pants and that was the end of it.

I like to dress for the occasion, my BF does not. I don't care if he or anyone else wants to wear jeans in the steak house. I don't see the problem as long as they are clean, not torn and worn with a nice collared shirt. I don't understand how someone else is dressed affects your meal. I have been in some very good steak houses on land that allow you to wear jeans, why would a cruise ship be any different?

We all have different views on the subject. None are wrong. Why do people feel the put down others' viewpoint?

I have said repeatedly I don't like it. That's a fact. I don't feel the need to tell those that want to do something different that they are wrong.

It doesn't spoil it for me. I will continue to wear a suit and on non Elegant nights, smarts dress pants and shirt and probably a jacket. But I don;t like to see the jeans and flops, etc. Dress how you want; you're going to anyway just don't call me a snob for wanting something a little different. That's what irks me.

Carnival sold the Supper Clubs/Steakhouse as something elegant, for a fee. My definition of elegant is not denim, no matter how expensive or tidy. So forgive me for baulking when they change things on me.

Both my husband and I wore jeans (me with a blouse and heels, he wore them with a nice polo and dress shoes) to the Steakhouse in March on the Spirit. I had no idea this wasn't anything but appropriate. It was a 7pm reservation and in the whole restaurant there was us and two other couples. Soooo, I can't imagine the staff cared in the least...they were probably happy just to have business.

In any case, what's the big deal with jeans in a steakhouse as long as you don't look like a slob? Like I said in John's FB post, we just don't dress up for many things like we used to...people used to get all gussied up for the movies and for the airplane. Expectations are different everywhere now. And thank goodness!

We've been to plenty of restaurants where we've spent well over $200 for the two of us, without alcohol, and the dress was pretty casual. I guess most of these were restaurants more geared to "foodies" and those interested in innovative cooking rather than fancy meat and potatoes but still, I think jeans are more and more the norm, even in expensive restaurants.

Maybe they should designate a night on each cruise for the folks that want to dress up for the steakhouse experience. That way they wont have to be subjected to the folks who are wearing jeans.

Maybe they should designate a night on each cruise for the folks that want to dress up for the steakhouse experience. That way they wont have to be subjected to the folks who are wearing jeans.
That's how it was on Elegant Nights per the FAQ. But again, pointless as things are typically not enforced.

I still have not seen anyone address my point that jeans were already allowed in the Steakhouses on any night other than Cruise Elegant night. I don't understand why this is being touted as new.

I commented several times on the thread on Facebook about it only to have the YES THEY SHOULD - NO THEY SHOULDN'T back and forth to continue without anyone addressing the fact that this is about as much of a "change" as if would be if they suddenly announced that the midnight gala buffet was being discontinued.

I think this must be more of an exercise in "getting the word out" that the steakhouse isn't "The high temple of dressy" that some people seem to think in order to encourage more patronage. Personally I am less concerned about them allowing jeans (even though Ive never worn them) than this other idea of putting in a bunch of barstools where you'd pay only $20 for your meal. At least jeans are under the table if you don't want to look at them. It's hard to ignore the added noise that goes with a bar atmosphere.

As Nezmo mentioned. Its been in the rules for a bit now.

When I went up to confirm my reservations the hostess told me there was a dress code and I affirmed that. She said what I had on was fine. Jeans and a nice collared shirt. Thats my everyday wear so I was not going to wear to to dinner there.

I went and put some slack and dress shoes on and a better shirt.

Archived