Guarantee Cabin Question

roothy123

I'm sorry if this has been asked before (or asked a million times before!), but is there any advantage to booking a "guarantee cabin" over a specific cabin category? We normally like the "F" category on Regatta and Insignia, but for one cruise I'm interested in, the Fs are up for grabs and the Gs are listed as "guarantee." I'm not crazy about being on the 4th deck or wherever the Gs are located, but if taking a guarantee for an F will give me a good chance of being upgraded to something better, I would do it. If you book an F guarantee, are you likely to end up with an F?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before (or asked a million times before!), but is there any advantage to booking a "guarantee cabin" over a specific cabin category? We normally like the "F" category on Regatta and Insignia, but for one cruise I'm interested in, the Fs are up for grabs and the Gs are listed as "guarantee." I'm not crazy about being on the 4th deck or wherever the Gs are located, but if taking a guarantee for an F will give me a good chance of being upgraded to something better, I would do it. If you book an F guarantee, are you likely to end up with an F?

If you book an F guarantee you are likely to get an F because it is guarenteed that you will. You *might* be offered an upgrade (free or reduced cost) but that is just speculation. I've seen a number of posts wondering how O chooses who is offerred an upgrade (free, reduced cost or even at full price) but it is O's secret formula. They could offer the upgrade to another person with an F cabin assigned and then assign you their cabin if they take the upgrade.

As I read it anyway it is the G's are the one that are offerred as a guarentee (GTY) and it is a G tht you do not like the location. If getting a location you prefer is more important than taking a chance at getting an upgrade offer, I'd go with the firm booking and take an F and not take the G category that only has gaurentees available.

If you like a specific location then book a specific cabin not a GTY

You never know where you will end up with a GTY

You probably will not be upgraded, maybe an upsell will come your way but maybe not and you may be disappointed with the GTY you get ;)

I've found that booking a GTY rate in a specific cabin category usually works well. You are guaranteed the category you want - though not the specific cabin - and, who knows? Perhaps the Upgrade Fairy will pay you a visit, even if she demands a minor 'bribe'.

Donna

Archived