P&O to be rebadged as Princess??

P&O Australia and Princess have always been close brands. Before Carnival took over, Princess was basically P&O America - a subsidiary of P&O UK, based in the US simply because to the Americans P&O was an unknown brand.

When we went on Pacific Sky, I was surpised at how Princess it was - the staff uniforms were the same as Princess, several things on board had the Princess logo on them.

Then when Carnival took over they made an effort to bring in more distinction between the brands. They painted over the "P&O" that had been on the side of all Princess ships, and P&O on board staff got their own uniforms, and the Princess decor on the ships has been gradually replaced.

The P&O name survived a lot of negative publicity a few years ago, and now it's very well known - to the extent that people will assume any white cruise ship they see is a P&O one -I'm sure there are people who see Rhapsody in Sydney and just assume it's a P&O ship. Occasionally on TV programmes Fairstar is still mentioned, as if she is still sailing from Sydney.

Because of all this I do find it hard to believe they would re-badge P&O as Princess. I'm not saying they won't, but I would be surprised (and disappointed) if they did.

Our travel agent mentioned that P&O have recognised a need to improve their on board experience and service, and as a result Princess have taken over the running of that side of things - and already there are a few signs of this. Chocolates on the pillow, evening turndown service re-instated, etc. Now, they are talking of a loyalty scheme, they have announced Gift Certificates for P&O and Princess available in Australia now (like gift vouchers for a cruise or part fare, any amount up to $2000 value, which you can give to someone as a gift) and according to their facebook page they are also looking at soda cards/drinks packages like they have on Princess.

In fact, the last few P&O cruises we've done, compared with our Dawn Princess cruise, it's Princess that now need to lift their game - and maybe they will too. If it's Princess US that are running things, there might be more of the Princess US experience coming into the Australian based ships. This could be the re-structuring that has been mentioned.

Our TA mentioned that the plan was for Princess to run both brand's on-board product and service levels, Princess would concentrate on the longer cruises which attact the older crowds and P&O would mainly do the shorter cruises to the islands and be a younger, more family oriented line.

It's possible they could re-badge them all as Princess - it's possible they could equally badge them all as P&O, and I think (and hope) that strong brand recognition will see the P&O name stay.

Just my opinion, and I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Officers and Crew will now be able to transfer from P&O and Princess with ease. Previously they had to end their contract with one line then apply from scratch with the other line. The ships will retain their current names in the meantime, but Pacific Sun will go in 2012.

Thinking about the original post,

what she could have meant was that Princess will be taking over the managing of the Catering and Staff Contracts.

Now they are all under the Carnival umbrella it opens up huge possibility's , to both transfer and upgrade the service on all the Carnival ships.

When Cunard launched its mammoth QM2, they had huge problems with the catering, so much so , that the powers that be, decreed that Princess would take over, and the food and the serving of food , from then on improved out of sight.

Its all done on contract by V ships, which , if you trace back their history ,

is Sitmar.

thus the Italian influence:)

We commenced cruising with Sitmar in the late 60,s on both Fairsky and Fairstar and sailed later in the US on the Fairwind and Fairsea wich was later the Fair Princess Sitmar cruising was a family cruising experiance the crews were friendly and did remember you when you returned the demise came when the Fairstar had P&O painted on her side we could not believe the how the crew had changed what was left of the Sitmar crew were unhappy with the new owners the deck crew that used to chat to you as they went around early in the morning cleaning and setting up the decks were no longer allowed to chat with the early risers like me and the same went for the cleaning crew inside. Bar prices increased and anything that could be charged for was and maintence to the ship was not carried out as well as had been before

We were on the first voyage on the Fair Princess out of Sydney to Papaette that was a trip to remember as the ship could not burn the fuel taken on in Sydney which slowed us down and realy upset our fellow US passengers there were only about 140 Aussies on board but will say it was good to have a crew that was happy but 18 months later when we sailed on her again we could see the difference that had come over the ship with P&0 management

That is the last time we sail on a P&O Managed ship we started sailing on US based ships and have been happy since the Sun/Dawn/and Diamond have been here the difference between P&0 and Princess both Carnival owned is hugh there is a standerd that is stuck to by Princess so no matter if it is a US/UK or AUST based Ship you know what to expect and get it

Davaller

Archived