Travel Insurance

surreal

Does anyone have a recommendation for purchasing travel insurance that will cover both cruise and air fare? There are many companies to choose from including Azamara. I've been google searching reviews and find several posts making the ususal complaints about various companies taking your money but making it extreamly difficult for you if you file a claim and quite often, not paying the claim at all. Has anyone had "positive" experience with a travel insurance company they would like to share?

surreal, we use CSA Freestyle as it can be bought at final payment and covers pre-existing conditions for you and family members not traveling with you. With that said, not all policies are available to residents of all states and the costs will vary by the amount you insure, length of cruise, and your ages. This policy did not require that we insure the entire trip amount. Also, note that it is a secondary policy, and while many argue that they only want a primary policy, we specifically want a secondary as we have medical we can use worldwide and if we make a claim it will go towards our primary policy deductible.

Contact Steve at

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/

We have used insuremytrip.com in the past but they do not carry the policy that we want.

Does anyone have a recommendation for purchasing travel insurance that will cover both cruise and air fare? There are many companies to choose from including Azamara. I've been google searching reviews and find several posts making the ususal complaints about various companies taking your money but making it extreamly difficult for you if you file a claim and quite often, not paying the claim at all. Has anyone had "positive" experience with a travel insurance company they would like to share?

I use http://insuremytrip.com They provide comparison policies and rates from many insurance providers. The also provide AM Best rating for the insurers writing the policies, which is an indication of their financial security, though not of the insuror's business practices.

I just want to add about the pre existing conditions issue...

Be VERY VERY careful

check the fine print of when your last doctors visit can be prior to your trip and prior to purchasing your policy or prior to cancelling the trip

many policys say they cover pre existing, but sometimes the timeframe

of doctors visits comes into play.

this is particularly problematic for those with chronic health issues that have regularly scheduled visits pretty close to departure dates for medicine/treatments to hold them over while they travel.

I don't think that insurance from Azamara will cover independently booked air. Please check their policy for verification.

We start with Insuremytrip.com. Because of pre-existing conditions and elderly parents and children with health issues we are very careful to book our insurance within a few days of the cruise DEPOSIT. We have worldwide medical evacuation so that also comes into play when examining coverage.

There are all kinds of policies including cancellation for any reason policies. There are also differing levels of monetary coverage and the rates will show this as well.

Don't forget to check the coverage you may have with your credit card.

Following disembarkation one of my suitcases was stolen at FLL. You may recall seeing dumpsters filled with stolen suitcases - mine was one of those. Our travel insurance combined with our homeowners did a fairly decent job of covering my loss. That particular policy was with Travel Guard.

We use various policies based on our needs especially now that we are no longer spring chickens.

We have also been able to adjust the policy after purchase when we have upgraded a cabin or booked a cruise before air was available. That's a good question to ask any agent.

It may take a little work on your part but there will be a policy that works well for you. Insure, and then wait and plan for a wonderful vacation.

In order to waive the pre-existing conditions you must purchase your insurance withing a certain time frame (10 days to 21 days depending on the insurance carrier) after initial deposit. The only one that you can do that at final payment with is CSA Travel Pro Freestyle and Freestyle Lux. They are the only ones that have no look back period. The others may cover pre-existing but have a 60-180 day look back period.

Be aware also just because you have coverage for 'air fare' that does NOT mean that you can recoup those costs for any and all travel troubles. Trip insurance covers specific, limited, named perils, not everything. Be sure to read the half dozen or so typical named reasons in your policy and understand that you are only covered for those reasons.

The only one that you can do that at final payment with is CSA Travel Pro Freestyle and Freestyle Lux. They are the only ones that have no look back period.

Sure they do. Here it is:

"PRE-EXISTING CONDITION means an illness, disease,

or other condition during the 180-day period immediately

prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling

Companion, Domestic Partner, or Family Member is

scheduled or booked to travel with you:

1. received, or received a recommendation"

If you don't define the "pre" then the term "pre-existing condition" is meaningless.

WAIVER OF THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION

The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you

meet all of the following requirements:

1. the payment for this plan is received prior to/or within 24

hours of your final payment for your Covered Trip; and

2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you make your

plan payment.

WAIVER OF THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION

The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you

meet all of the following requirements:

1. the payment for this plan is received prior to/or within 24

hours of your final payment for your Covered Trip; and

2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you make your

plan payment.

Quite correct that a waiver of the pre-existing exclusion is available. But this does not mean that there is no "lookback period." Those are two entirely different things.

If you are a USAA member or a military retiree who is eligible to be a USAA member, go to their web site (http://www.usaa.com) and search for travel insurance. Their deal with Travel Insured International is the most comprehensive and reasonable I've seen. Be aware that the rates quoted are considerably lower when you go through the USAA web site than if you access Travel Insured International directly.

Quite correct that a waiver of the pre-existing exclusion is available. But this does not mean that there is no "lookback period." Those are two entirely different things.

Because one or both of us are confused by the wording I emailed CSA about it and this is the response I received. I could provide the actual email if needed.

Hello Pat,

Sorry to hear that you are confused about the waiver. Trust me, it is not the easiest to understand or explain. I hope this answers your question.

If the plan is purchased within 24 hours of final payment, and the client is medically able to travel, they will qualify for the PE waiver. At this point, anything that happened prior the purchase of insurance would not be considered if there was a cancellation do to a on-going illness. If the client is not medically able to travel when the insurance is purchased, or the insurance is purchased after 24 hours after final payment, they would not qualify for the waiver, which would not allow them coverage if they cancelled due to an ongoing condition. The look back period for both Freestyle products is 180 days.

Also, your air will not be covered if you miss your ship if your scheduled arrival time is not 5 or 6 hours (depends on policy) prior to departure. So you can't buy a flight arriving at noon if departure is 4 and you don't make it you can't make a claim.

As far as I know CSA is one of the only products you can buy at final payment that has a pre-existing conditions waiver as long as you meet the criteria. By the way - the critieria of being medically able to travel on the day you book the insurance applies to all the insurances. So CSA Freestyle and Luxe have NO LOOKBACK PERIOD unless you do not buy it within 24 hours of payment and aren't medically able to travel at purchase time.

• 3 weeks later...
I just want to add about the pre existing conditions issue...

Be VERY VERY careful

check the fine print of when your last doctors visit can be prior to your trip and prior to purchasing your policy or prior to cancelling the trip

many policys say they cover pre existing, but sometimes the timeframe

of doctors visits comes into play.

this is particularly problematic for those with chronic health issues that have regularly scheduled visits pretty close to departure dates for medicine/treatments to hold them over while they travel.

In general a chronic health issue is NOT necessarily a concern regarding pre-existing if it is controlled. Even if a medication dosage is adjusted would not automatically disqualify you, as often dosage is adjusted to a lower amount (as well as higher). An example of this would be someone who is on medication for high blood pressure who loses excess weight, and now the blood pressure has dropped (but still in range). The doctor might then feel the medication can be lowered and still be effective. The patient remains controlled throughout the timeframe.

BTW --I am speaking as a physician with > 30 years of experience--now retired so I can enjoy travel,hobbies and grandchildren.

-Barry

In general a chronic health issue is NOT necessarily a concern regarding pre-existing if it is controlled. Even if a medication dosage is adjusted would not automatically disqualify you, as often dosage is adjusted to a lower amount (as well as higher). An example of this would be someone who is on medication for high blood pressure who loses excess weight, and now the blood pressure has dropped (but still in range). The doctor might then feel the medication can be lowered and still be effective. The patient remains controlled throughout the timeframe.

BTW --I am speaking as a physician with > 30 years of experience--now retired so I can enjoy travel,hobbies and grandchildren.

-Barry

I have talked to many insurers about this and they all see a lowering of the required prescription as the same as a raising of the dosage. The reason is that they think the Doc might lower the meds and overshoot causing the condition to flare up again. Here's from a TravelSafe plan:

""Pre-Existing Condition" means any injury, sickness or condition (including any condition from which death ensues) of You . . yada, yada, yada . . unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician."

Here's from a Travelex plan:

"Pre-Existing Condition : means . . yada, yada, yada . . . this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period before the Effective Date."

These insurers are serious about this. By "any" they really do mean any. If you have had a change in your prescription either up or down you'd better call the insurer directly to find out how you stand with regard to the pre-ex exclusion before you make your purchase.

• 1 month later...
If you are a USAA member or a military retiree who is eligible to be a USAA member, go to their web site (www.usaa.com) and search for travel insurance. Their deal with Travel Insured International is the most comprehensive and reasonable I've seen. Be aware that the rates quoted are considerably lower when you go through the USAA web site than if you access Travel Insured International directly.

Check out Travel Insured International. If purchased within 21 days of booking cruise, pre-existing condtion is waived.

There are several plans on insuremytrip.com that cover pre-existing conditions if purchased w/in a specific time frame (usually 14-21 days from deposit). They have a "compare" feature that you can use that compares medical evac coverage (necesity IMHO), baggage delay, preexisting condition coverage etc. etc.. Lots of good companies to choose from...

Archived