I don't want to see stingrays, turtles, or Hell

adira

I have been to many a turtle farm, from the reviews here it sounds like Hell isn't worth it, and I have a thing about stingrays making me really not want to hang out with them.

As we were discussing Grand Caymen, my dh revealed that he doesn't really like sand or salt water (I told him the pool will be a bummer), so although I might be able to get him to snorkel once, he's not going to be too big on it.

What else do you suggest for us? I promise, we are normally pretty easy going and at our other ports of call we are having a hard time deciding what to do because there are lots of choices we are interested in, but for some reason, Grand Caymen just isn't doing anything for us.

Enjoy the ship? It is an island after all. :confused:

Go horseback riding, go see a movie, hit a bar and get drunk, take an island tour (by van or by helicopter), race go karts, visit the botanic park...

What are you doing in the other ports of call?

PS. It is spelled Grand Cayman

Well, we were hoping to go on the bar hopping tour in Cozumel, but right now only the two of us have signed up, and if we don't do that, it seems like there are a ton of all inclusives that are popular, as well as shopping.

In Jamaica, we want to do something adventurous, preferably involving some white water, so I have been looking at various tours.

Since we were planning on getting pretty tipsy in Cozumel, I was hoping for something other than just being the ship's drunks who get drunk at each port of call, you know? Dh is suggesting we stay on the ship and enjoy the relative emptiness.

I love botanical gardens. Info on those, please?

Thanks for the spelling tip! ;)

Here is a link to the botanical garden and blue iguana sanctuary:

http://www.botanic-park.ky/

You will pass the island's only brewery on the way, nothing special, but they do provide free samples of their brews. :) You will also pass the Pedro St. James historic park http://www.pedrostjames.ky/. Again , nothing super special, but provides a glimpse into Cayman's history and the "cliffs" by the sea are a good photo-op.

Forgot to mention there is also a submarine tour in town where you do not need to get wet to see the underwater sights.;)

Thanks! I'll have to check carefully to see days and hours of operation. When we were still dating, my dh and I took a little vacation to San Antonio and I wanted to go to the botanical gardens. We didn't think we were very far away from them so we decided to walk. Turns out the walk was longer than we anticipated and we were there on one of the two days of the year they are closed: Christmas and New Year's Day. He still won't let me live it down!

Grand Cayman has such beautiful beaches. I would go to Seven Mile Beach. I just can't imagine staying on the ship in such a beautiful place. If you have to go to one beach on your cruise, I would go to Seven Mile. Maybe you can talk DH into it. :) (Bummer, he doesn't like sand or salt water. Maybe he will do okay in a beach chair under an umbrella?)

hop in a taxi and ask them to take you to Sunset House

wanna snorkel? it is a great place but more importantly it is home to perhaps the most popular bar on the island with the local folks. It is far enuf from town that few cruise ship folks will be there so expect a quiet day. Around 1230 the morning dive boat trips will return and all the divers will wander over to the bar for libations and a snack. Maybe all the dive talk will get him interested.

If you ask nice at the bar they usually say 'sure, use the pool' (if you are buying) and it is NOT salt . . . . btw Sunset's area is "iron shore" and that means: no sand!

http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

p.s. please don't spread this around because we don't want the place to get crowded ... my first visit was 1982 and last was a few months ago.

p.s.s. the local folks, especially taxi drivers that hang out here play dominoes .... SERIOUS dominoes. Interesting to watch ... stay out of the way and don't think of challenging to a game.....cuz, well I'm sure there are no wagers involved . . ..

If you enjoy history and an insider's view of the island, check out Cayman Safari Adventures tour. We had a tour with Shirley and she took us to see the blue iguanas at the Botanical park, Pedro Castle, Rum Point, and past the blow holes as well as a delicious Cayman lunch at Viviene's. We loved it!

Archived