Mattress foam topper

We plan to purchase a mattress foam topper before our next cruise. Some seem too heavy to consider traveling with. Some seem too thin to work well. If I'm going to trouble of including it with our luggage I'd like to get a good one that works. Which ones have you tried and liked best/worst?

As far as I know, everyone uses those supplied by the cruise ship. I can´t imagine anyone bringing their own

:confused:

Oh, I have, many times. Since they switched to the extra thin foam toppers (supplied by the ship), we have either been purchasing our memory foam topper in the embarkation port, or have carried one along with us. Normally a 1" or 1 1/2" memory foam topper fits nicely in a space bag in our luggage, and isn't all that heavy. The lesser priced ones do not weigh that much, and we can decide whether to just leave it onboard or take it back home with us on the final morning.

I agree the foam toppers aren't that great. I think carrying one would be very cumbersome and a good one is pricy. Maybe you could ask them to put two on.

I loved my last cruise, but I made sure to put on the comment card that the beds are too hard!

I agree the foam toppers aren't that great. I think carrying one would be very cumbersome and a good one is pricy. Maybe you could ask them to put two on.

I loved my last cruise, but I made sure to put on the comment card that the beds are too hard!

We had a brand new mattress on the Grand princess (really rock hard), and tried three Princess supplied foam toppers, it still was horrible. That is when we began brining our own. :(

We had a brand new mattress on the Grand princess (really rock hard), and tried three Princess supplied foam toppers, it still was horrible. That is when we began brining our own. :(

That's too bad. Maybe if they get enough requests for mattress toppers they will realize that most people prefer cozier beds.

Or maybe we are the minority and not everyone finds them uncomfortable.

Oh yes, we have tried multiple egg crate toppers supplied by the ship, and they don't give enough comfort. They are not really egg crates, just very very thin foam. Toto do you purchase a real "memory foam" or are you using the term generically? Is there a brand you like?

We just returned from a cruise to Mexico on the Princess Sapphire, our cabin steward gave us a very thin pad that did not help at all - so I asked for a couple more to pile on and he said they were all out, that I was lucky to even get one. I doubt that we'll leave it to chance next cruise, we'll probably see about buying one to pack. I hate doing that, but otherwise the nights can get pretty miserable.

. Toto do you purchase a real "memory foam" or are you using the term generically? Is there a brand you like?

Actually, I just buy ours at Walmart. That way we don't invest very much should we decide we don't want the hassle of bringing it back home. They work great, and I have no idea even what the name of it is. Just the lesser priced one. And they aren't that heavy weight wise, and pack perfectly in a space bag with about half the room left for clothing and other items in the suitcase. Even flying, we have never been overweight. ;)

Here's what we did on our last cruise at the suggestion of our cabin steward. He managed to find 2 extra duvets and put them under our sheets. It was like our down pad at home....it worked pretty darn well!!!

Here's what we did on our last cruise at the suggestion of our cabin steward. He managed to find 2 extra duvets and put them under our sheets. It was like our down pad at home....it worked pretty darn well!!!

Our steward did this for us too on our last cruise and it was very comfortable. We had one foam topper and one duvet and it was perfect.

Actually, I just buy ours at Walmart. That way we don't invest very much should we decide we don't want the hassle of bringing it back home. They work great, and I have no idea even what the name of it is. Just the lesser priced one. And they aren't that heavy weight wise, and pack perfectly in a space bag with about half the room left for clothing and other items in the suitcase. Even flying, we have never been overweight. ;)

After reading your posts, I think we will buy one at Walmart when we arrive in FLL. We always go in a day ahead, so we should have time to do this. That way, we don't need to worry about weight issues flying down as we both are already heavy packers.

Adding duvets softened the bed a little, but we didn't find that option to give any back support so we were still uncomfortable. I guess I'm looking for both comfort and support, and I believe a good topper will do it. We want to purchase a topper to bring with us, and I know there are a variety of styles out there. I'm hoping those who have brought a topper with them and found what worked or didn't work, can suggest what to look for. If we can narrow down a style or brand or something to look for, that would help a lot.

I've had the duvet and foam topper, three foam toppers, etc. and it's still too hard. I've considered bringing a foam topper, but I just don't have the space in my suitcase. Someone who posts regularly on these boards brings an airbed from REI. Some of them aren't that heavy, so I might try that. I really want to be able to sleep on my vacation. And, as far as Princess getting the message about the beds......I'm sure they know the beds are the worst in the industry and simply don't care. You're right, some people like a rock hard mattress and they probably last longer. It's less money for the cruise line to put out. JMO.

For me, Princess has replaced the too soft beds with ones that are now too firm. It's too bad they didn't go for something in between that would work for everyone. I know that it's not a hotel but those mattresses always seem to be comfortable for nearly everyone.

Our Sapphire mattress was tolerable with 2 of their thin pads for a week. For future cruises (no matter how long) will probably pack our own which we use on long cruises. It's a reversible memory foam/pillowtop we bought through Costco.com & makes it like home...or a hotel. It is extra weight & space in our bag but it also is good for protecting our wine.

Mattress comfort is subjective & there are those happy with the newer firm ones. But for those of us who find them too firm, then Princess should provide good toppers to soften them without us needing to bring our own or hope to get enough thin toppers to sleep comfortably.

Toto, on the Golden last month in the suites, I noticed a new matress pad/topper that spanned the two mattresses. I assume that is for suites only unless you've seen it elsewhere?

Also, the foam pads were singles, which still leaves the chasm between the two mattresses in their "queen configuration". Which leads me to questions:

What size do you buy? Full? Queen?

Did it help keep the two matresses together?

Since you're on the Sapphire with us in October, where are you going to buy yours in LA, or are going to bring it with you?

Toto, on the Golden last month in the suites, I noticed a new matress pad/topper that spanned the two mattresses. I assume that is for suites only unless you've seen it elsewhere?

Also, the foam pads were singles, which still leaves the chasm between the two mattresses in their "queen configuration". Which leads me to questions:

What size do you buy? Full? Queen?

Did it help keep the two matresses together?

Since you're on the Sapphire with us in October, where are you going to buy yours in LA, or are going to bring it with you?

Normally, when we bring our own, we bring a queen size. We have the room steward place it on the bed sideways, as with the twins pushed together, it is not wide enough. But since we don't need it under the pillows, the queen size works great if it is put on side ways. It definitely helps with making the two twins a real queen bed without the huge bump in the middle. ;) Kings are so much larger, it would be difficult to carry one of those along that might fit better.

Since this next cruise is 28 days, I doubt we will have space to bring one on the flight with too many other essential items to bring. What we had planned to do is to go to the first port once reaching Hawaii to make our purchase. I will have to check out this new mattress pad you are talking about that they may supply, but our suite only offers a queen, no twins, so not sure if it will have one on the bed. But they may be able to get us one, which could mean we won't need to make that purchase this time. We have been sailing out of Honolulu the last couple of years, so it has been very easy to get ourselves to a discount store by shuttle to pick one up. If the beds are still very hard, you will see me with a slight limp walking around the ship half asleep from lack of rest until we reach Hawaii I am afraid. lol

I am not a big complainer on beds when you have slept on what I have you can most generally sleep on anything.

We just got of the Sapphire on May 14 had cabin E728 and I noticed the bed did not have the division thing between the beds my only complaint. It had a 1" maybe 11/2" topper on it no line between beds I loved it not sure DW did.:D But new to us.

Also no noise.

Normally, when we bring our own, we bring a queen size. We have the room steward place it on the bed sideways, as with the twins pushed together, it is not wide enough. But since we don't need it under the pillows, the queen size works great if it is put on side ways. It definitely helps with making the two twins a real queen bed without the huge bump in the middle. ;) Kings are so much larger, it would be difficult to carry one of those along that might fit better.

Since this next cruise is 28 days, I doubt we will have space to bring one on the flight with too many other essential items to bring. What we had planned to do is to go to the first port once reaching Hawaii to make our purchase. I will have to check out this new mattress pad you are talking about that they may supply, but our suite only offers a queen, no twins, so not sure if it will have one on the bed. But they may be able to get us one, which could mean we won't need to make that purchase this time. We have been sailing out of Honolulu the last couple of years, so it has been very easy to get ourselves to a discount store by shuttle to pick one up. If the beds are still very hard, you will see me with a slight limp walking around the ship half asleep from lack of rest until we reach Hawaii I am afraid. lol

Judy has just corrected me. The mattress pad was actually two, one for each twin side of the bed. If your suite bed is a full sized queen, you may just luck out.

The foams were also just twin sized. Our first hawaii port is the tender port of Lahaina and wal mart a long ways away. You might have to wait until Hilo.

I think Judy and I can carry a mattress pad, but I really want to bring snorkel gear as well. Might just have to break down and check that 4th bag. Good tip about installing the thing sideways. I would have gone crazy thinking I bought the wrong size.

You are right about the ports, I am so used to sailing from Honolulu and the first stop in Kauai (which has a great shuttle to the discount stores and malls), I forgot to check the itinerary. Oh well, if nothing else, one extra day or two of limping along will work. I can always sleep on the couch, which at times is better than the actual bed. :) :)

I know one thing, I doubt there will be any trips to Walmart in Honolulu. We went last time to pick up some toiletries and that place was the biggest zoo we have ever been in. Wall to wall people and the shelves were half empty. They said it is the busiest shopping place in Honolulu now.

We just got off the Golden and our mini-suite also had this type pad and topper. It was about 2" thick and very comfortable. It was a very pleasant surprise, after spending 7 days on the Sapphire the week before, on a very hard mattress.

Ok so far I have:

1) an airbed from REI

2) a reversible memory foam/pillowtop from Costco

3)Cruise Junky's suggestion- packing the topper in a spacesaver bag along with formal wear.

Any other suggestions that have been good or bad?

CruiseJunky did you do that to help protect your formal wear? How did that work, and what type mattress topper did you get?

Archived