Celebrity Train Rome Shuttle

TomMMD

There are actually 3 types of trains you can catch which take between 40 and 60 minutes to reach Rome

1. The normal commuter train. Slower and sometimes crowded but cheap and runs regularly.

2. The fast train. Stops at Roma Ostiense and Termini. Limited services.

3. The Express train, specifically provided for cruise passengers based on demand (i.e. the number and size of ships in port). Non-stop to San Pietro station, a short walk from St Peters. Usually leaves about 9:30 and the return trip at 16:40. The trip takes about 40 minutes

The train that Celebrity uses is the third one and although it is not a regular Trenitalia service it is absolutely NOT an exclusive private train. All cruiselines share this same train and all of them rip off their passengers mercilessly. It can be booked online at a fraction of the cost of the shore excursion.

The information is (I believe) current but could change at any time. Do your own research - a Google search on Fast Track Express Train to Rome will find what you need.

There are actually 3 types of trains you can catch which take between 40 and 60 minutes to reach Rome

1. The normal commuter train. Slower and sometimes crowded but cheap and runs regularly.

2. The fast train. Stops at Roma Ostiense and Termini. Limited services.

3. The Express train, specifically provided for cruise passengers based on demand (i.e. the number and size of ships in port). Non-stop to San Pietro station, a short walk from St Peters. Usually leaves about 9:30 and the return trip at 16:40. The trip takes about 40 minutes

The train that Celebrity uses is the third one and although it is not a regular Trenitalia service it is absolutely NOT an exclusive private train. All cruiselines share this same train and all of them rip off their passengers mercilessly. It can be booked online at a fraction of the cost of the shore excursion.

The information is (I believe) current but could change at any time. Do your own research - a Google search on Fast Track Express Train to Rome will find what you need.

Thanks, didn't find it but will try again...

When you say they "rip off" what do you mean? As I said earlier I almost always DIYS

You will find that the train option with the cruise line is the same price as the coach option.

OK DIY is cheaper, but Rome is a long way and for people wanting to take the cruise ship travel options, the train as to be number 1 in my opinion . Nice big seats and air con.

Thanks, didn't find it but will try again...

When you say they "rip off" what do you mean? As I said earlier I almost always DIYS

Less than 20 euros return if you book it yourself. The ship tours cost much, much more with no value-add - apart from maybe a 5 minute shuttle bus trip from the ship to the train station (a very easy walk) and maybe a "tour guide" standing at the station pointing to the train.

We used the Celebrity "Rome on your own" excursion in September 2011.

We loved it. The Pulman coaches were comfortable and there was a fabulous tour guide with us.

He gave us lots of interesting information on Rome and the best places to eat, drink etc. He also gave us all a street of Rome map and walked us from the train station into the Vatican City.

We really appreciated the fact that we had a nice, guaranteed seat on the way home after a long and hot day.

Do you remember what time you got to Rome in the morning? I am trying to book Vatican tickets based on the Celebrity train excursion.

Do you remember what time you got to Rome in the morning? I am trying to book Vatican tickets based on the Celebrity train excursion.

The express train normally arrives at San Pietro shortly after 10am

Archived