cruising round New Zealand

We have been twice - early Spring with HAL and Summer with Princess. The Spring ( September / October) cruise demonstrated why NZ is called the Land of the Long White Cloud. The overcast although not rainy (well not very often) weather lasted until we reached Wellington and the crossing was very rough. The Summer trip in early December was much better for weather with mostly sunny days, especially good for Bay of Islands and for visibility in Fjord Land. I preferred the itinerary that started with the North Island and went clockwise to the other direction. It was a round trip from Sydney so we had no hassles remembering to limit and weigh baggage for the return flight from Aukland. I would check departure dates to avoid Australian School holiday season - mid December through January unless you have chidlren yourself. NZ schools have similar dates so tourist areas are likely to be more crowded in general. We liked both ships - our balcony cabin on HAL was larger. Plan you cabin choice so you are on the starboard side for a clockwise cruise and vice versa.

Gidday all.

We are a family of 5, 2 adults, dad, mum, one teen and one tween with an adult additional, my best friend, currently planning the new years 2012/2013 Diamond cruise departing Auckland and sailing to Sydney.

Although we have cruised on the Diamond before, shout out to Margo, Pete, KiwiPete, and Kiwikruser, the current prices are insane:eek: about 50% higher than our last trip!

Any idea why the prices are so high?:confused:

Advice regarding 'waiting for a special' or just go for it and book the cabins we prefer now.

The US exchange rate is creeping up so I am seriously thinking about booking through a US agent, any experience with this?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

God bess you all:)

TraceyG

Gidday all.

We are a family of 5, 2 adults, dad, mum, one teen and one tween with an adult additional, my best friend, currently planning the new years 2012/2013 Diamond cruise departing Auckland and sailing to Sydney.

Although we have cruised on the Diamond before, shout out to Margo, Pete, KiwiPete, and Kiwikruser, the current prices are insane:eek: about 50% higher than our last trip!

Any idea why the prices are so high?:confused:

Advice regarding 'waiting for a special' or just go for it and book the cabins we prefer now.

The US exchange rate is creeping up so I am seriously thinking about booking through a US agent, any experience with this?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

God bess you all:)

TraceyG

Hi Tracey and Co - we are off on the Celebrity Century for Christmas/new Year 2011! Extra 3 ports and Burnie instead of Hobart.:D

Check out the Celebrity Solstice for 2012/2013.

Just be careful with US Agents as I understand they only accept people who booked with US Agents pre 2010, otherwise they may not accept you on board - I am sure David -Kiwi Kruser will be along soon to clarify (He is busy waving good bye to Pete & Norma who head off on the Pearl tonight!:eek:

Hows the family?? Keeping busy no doubt.

Hi Tracey and Margo....

Its just like our Diamond Princess Roll Call again for the Au/ NZ cruise.:)

It sure is a great cruise, must be if you are both looking at doing it again. ...

but then we have done it 5 times and will probably do it again....

its the best choice for cruising in this part of the world, and we go for the ship now , as we have been to all the ports.:D

Re price drops Tracey, its very hard to give any advice, as Princess set the prices according to demand. However in the last 2 years the prices did take a drop around June, but who knows if they will again. We just look for a deal we are comfortable with . I know some folk brag about booking overseas, but all our cruises have been with local agents, and we go in armed with the overseas prices, and they, after a bit of haggling , have come up , and if not matched, come pretty close to them. Sometimes they can get extra good deals on flights or hotels which more than compensate. Its the overall total package price you have to look at.

Princess has recently announced that bookings made by US agents to overseas guests are subject to some severe penalties including revocation of commission. Agents must be able to demonstrate that they have an ongoing business relationship with any overseas guest that they book.

So getting that agent to book you is going to be difficult to impossible without actual fraud on your part.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice, judging from the information given I think I will steer clear of the US reps, I like my travel agent anyway.

David, I would be somewhat worried facing you with a bunch of figures, your travel agent must be well aware of your barganing ability;)

It is wonderful to hear from the Diamond 2010 crew.

We are all well, the kids are growing and we are getting the passport renewal forms for the Kiwis while anticipating a booking.

Margo, I saw your pictures on a website recently, we were looking at pictures of cabins and there you were! I almost cried, really miss you, Pete, KiwiPete and Norma, and David and Barry, even the yanks. That cc roll call was a neat bunch.

Kyle is on facebook now and regularly communicates with 2 US friends and 1 Aussie that he met on board.

David, we are looking primarily at cruising on the Diamond 'for the ship' rather than the ports, although self arranged land tours will factor in to the equation.

Margo, the option of cruising with you again is very tempting, I might just look at the Solstice anyway, but I reckon we are pretty much set for the Diamond.

I am glad that Pete and Margo are off on another adventure, they are

fab-u-lous!

Will keep watching the prices, can't book until the Kiwi passports are renewed, the Ausiee, Oi Oi Oi, is valid for 10 years, tee hee hee.

Big warm fuzzies to all!

God bless you:)

TraceyG

Archived