Is the Archeological Museum in Naples within walking distance of the ship?

stipmom

• 1 month later...

We were there a year or so ago. We had been to Capri, Sorrento and Pompei before so we decided to explore Naples. What a mistake. It is uphill slightly to the museum and not very close. But worse yet is Naples around the Pier area. The place was littered with trash. Bags of it stacked on the streets. Cigarette butts, food wrappers, trash in the curbs. Lots of flies too. Plus people rushing around, smoking, bumping into you. We just gave up and went back to the ship. It may not be like that all the time, but I have friends who went a different time and they said the same things.

There has been so much crime in the port area in the last few months that I would definitely take a taxi. In addition when we were there a few weeks ago there was garbage everywhere. What a nasty,dirty city!:eek:

There has been so much crime in the port area in the last few months

I understand your comment about garbage, that's something you can observe for yourself. I'm curious about the data for your assertion about crime and the implication that it has increased in the last few months - can you provide more information to support that claim?

I understand your comment about garbage, that's something you can observe for yourself. I'm curious about the data for your assertion about crime and the implication that it has increased in the last few months - can you provide more information to support that claim?

Try the following:

July 5, 2011 "Protesters set 30 trash fires around Naples Tuesday...Camorra organized crime syndicates reportedly have infiltrated Naples waste management and dumped toxic waste near residential areas."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2011/07/05/Protesters-set-more-trash-fires-in-Naples/UPI-35691309883524/

July 9 2011: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/mafias-toxic-dumping-increases-cancer-rates-2309527.html

June 22, 2011 http://www.adnkronos.com/IGN/Aki/English/Security/Italy-Woman-among-six-Naples-mafia-suspects-arrested-in-overnight-raids_312159372254.html

Yes, but all of your references are about trash, not crime. The only crime in those articles relates to illegally dumping trash, which is awful but not the kind of crime a tourist is usually worried about.

The poster claimed that there was crime in the port area "in the last few months" and I was wondering what they were referring to.

They might be referring to the man who died after being mugged right outside the port terminal. He was getting off a Princess ship, I believe, and some guys on a vespa came by and tried to pry the Rolex off his arm. He fell and later died. They guys got away. Clearly, it is not a good idea to be wearing a Rolex in any major touristy city, but in Naples especially, you really need to be smart. Don't get me wrong, I really love the city, but you must admit that certain precautions are required here.

We were in Naples last November and walked from the ship to the train station. A family walked to the train station right after we arrived and the wife and mother of the family told us how her purse was stolen from a guy driving a motorcycle, just grabbed it right off her. I would not recommend walking in that area, it was littered with trash and we did not feel safe. Would definitely take a cab and cabs are at the pier waiting for riders.

We took a cab from the port to the museum 2 weeks ago. It was 15 euros. Didn't fancy walking it on such a hot day.

Outside the museum a guide was urging us to take her guided tour of the highlights- 10eu per person when she had collected enough people. We didn't take this offer as we preferred to go at our own pace. One thing I would suggest is that you take some info off the internet about what you want to see, as the only leaflet or guide we were given was a badly printed plan of the rooms. (There is a shop there, but we didn't come to that until on the way out!) Quite a few of the rooms were closed for refurbishment.

After the museum we walked back down via Piazza Ballini, Piazza Dante, Spacca Napoli, via Toledo, galleria unberto and piazza real. Tried the pizza and ice cream, enjoyed the nativity street, bought a couple of cheap souveniers. Found the people very friendly and didn't feel unsafe. However, we were vigilant, and wouldn't take safety for granted in any big city.

It was pretty crowded and chaotic in the old centre, but didn't find it too dirty or rubbish strewn (maybe this is worse near the station area?) Enjoyed the character and atmosphere.

kate

We walked from the ship (15 minutes) to the beautiful Naples Universita metro station, and for 1 euro each ended up at the Museo station (a 2 minute walk from the museum) after a quick train change at the Dante station. The whole trip was easy and took less than 30 minutes. We never felt unsafe. The museum is very worth the trip.

After the museum, we walked the short version of the "Rick Steves" route from his Italy guidebook (about a 40 minute very interesting walk at an easy pace) to L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele (WOW!!--very worth the 40 minute wait to eat great pizza). Again, no concerns of safety--crossing streets was no problem, with lots of people around quietly enjoying themselves. From there, it was about a 1/2 hour boring walk back to the ship. In retrospect, we should have taken a taxi for the last part.

Les

Archived