what to bring on when boarding

Hi leaving on Saturday on Explorer for Bermuda--wondering what to bring on board (while luggage is being checked in) should I bring a bathing suit -can I change in restroom? weather is supposed to be nice in Bayonne on Saturday (raining all this week) and i need a tan!!! will the pool be open? any suggestions? but seriously I know to bring my passport, sea pass and sea bands is there anything else? we are planning to get there early since we are only a half hour away thanks 3 days to go:)

I literally board the ship in my baithing suit. I put a pair of shorts in my bag, ipod, deodorant, toothbrush/paste, socks, sneakers and sunscreen - basically something to change into after a shower in case you don't get your things by dinner (have always gotten them by then)... maybe a magazine. I may put in there a pair of jeans if I were in your situation.

It's supposed to clear up a little Saturday I think... no idea about the pool but I don't see why it wouldn't be opened. If it isn't, just grab a drink and hit the hot tub.

If you want to go to the pool it will definitely be open, you could wear your suit under your clothes or bring it with you. Your room wont be ready until around 1 and your bags may not be delivered until around 4 or 5 pm. So bring your sunscreen, camera, and anything else you might want between the time you board and then. Don't bring anything heavy or you'll be carrying it around with you or stuck in one spot.

Pools, hot tubs and most bars will be open after boarding begins. The Windjammer Cafe (on deck 11) will be open for lunch as well. If you want to use the pool, then pack your swim suit in your purse/carry on. You may change in the restroom, that is ok. If you haven't been onboard Explorer before then you may want to explorer the ship. Find your assigned dining table in the dining room, if you have assigned seating and not my time dining. Staterooms will be open on or around 1:30pm. All bars, pools and other areas will close 30 minutes prior to the manditory guest assembly grill (muster drill). You'll want to get to your muster station prior to the actual alarm going off, to avoid the mad rush. Your station location is on your seapass card. Life vests are not required to be worn during the guest assembly drill. In case of a real emergency a life vest will be provided for you at your assembly station. Pay attention during the drill. If a real emergency does occur, you will want to go directly to your assigned station from where ever you are onboard. Enjoy your cruise!!

I actually WEAR my bathing suit onboard (under shorts or a sundress), so that I don't have to find somewhere to change.....I head straight to the pool, if the cabin isn't ready and start sunning!

You should carry on ANYTHING of value...your jewelry, electronics, any medications, etc....and anything you HAVE to have prior to bedtime...sometimes, your luggage can take a while to get to you!

In the past we have boarded early and left our carry ons in the cabin. Can we do this if we board early? I have a 6 year old and we will have a few extra cary on items as I have to bring her medicine and things to entertain her while we wait as well as a change of clothes.

In the past we have boarded early and left our carry ons in the cabin. Can we do this if we board early? I have a 6 year old and we will have a few extra cary on items as I have to bring her medicine and things to entertain her while we wait as well as a change of clothes.

The doors to the cabin hallways will be locked until the time that cabins are ready (1:30 on our last Explorer cruise) so you will not be able to drop anything off. If you board early you will have to carry your things with you.

You can't get into the cabins, even to drop off your carry-on until 1-1:30 so be aware you will literally be carrying anything you don't check at the pier. If you want to use the pool, try wearing your swimsuit under shorts and t-shirt. There will be towels in the pool area, but you'll need anything else you would use by the pool (sunscreen, shades, flip-flops, etc). You'll need to have your passports, ID, meds and possibly a change of clothes in case your luggage doesn't make it to your cabin by time for dinner. We've only had this happen once.

The advise I was given was assume you don't get your main bags until midnight, and carry on anything you may need until then. (That's not happened in three cruises, by the way!)

Essentially, swimwear, clean undies and a collared shirt and slacks for dinner, as well as book, camera etc.

From the moment you board, the ship and its facilities are yours to enjoy, as others have said, access to cabins is restricted until 1(ish).

Enjoy!

I would be quite nervous if my stuff didn't come by 7ish.

My first cruise my luggage didn't come until about 8:30. My DIL got her luggage at about 10:00 on a different cruise (we were getting nervous by then).

Archived