Is the Ultimate Ship Tour worth the cost?

Longhornfan2

We will be going on Princess to Alaska out of Vancouver next month. My husband has never cruised before and I think he would find the ultimate ship tour very interesting...but it runs @$150.00 and I have heard it is based on a lottery. Has anyone out there taken this tour, your opinion and was it worth the extra cost?

Thanks!:)

I did it on my recent Ruby Princess trip, and I'd say that if you're the type of person who has an interest in how things work behind the scenes then it's definitely worth doing the tour once. The tour also provides an opportunity to spend some time on the bridge with the ship's captain (or on the tour I went on, Commodore Romano) which is a great opportunity to learn a lot about how the ships operate.

On the tour I took, we visited:

-Backstage in the theater

-The theater dressing rooms

-The forward mooring deck

-The kitchen

-The bakery

-Food storage

-The photo lab

-The print shop

-The Engine Control Room

-The ship's laundry

-The medical center

-The Navigation Bridge

I think some of these may vary from ship to ship though (for example, I've heard of tours that actually go to the top of the funnel) but I'm guessing you'd hit at least most of these.

(for example, I've heard of tours that actually go to the top of the funnel)
That's the case on the Sapphire, Diamond and other ships that have a gas turbine generator, which is located in the area behind the Sea Witch logo. You can tell which ships have the turbine generator because they have what looks like a jet engine up there. That's merely for decoration; there's no practical purpose. On the tour to this area, you climb up a rung ladder on the side of the ship which is why you must wear good, solid shoes and not be carrying anything.

We were on the Sapphire Princess earlier this month and did the UST which in my opinion is worth the money. Along with the tour and the behind the scenes look, the price includes some 'gifts'. A plush Princess bathrobe ($90 in onboard shops), an official Chef's tunic, about 8 pictures (5x7) taken by ship photographer of tour group, fruit drinks and snacks in galley and champagne with canapes after in the Wheelhouse Bar. When going onto the Bridge we were delayed about 10 minutes (at the request of the Bridge) and when we did get onto the Bridge we were told they were navigating around some humpback whales (which we did see and watched for some time). Excellent 4 hour tour!

Lifelong water-rats (like me) enjoy those tours....DW decided not to go.

Princess tour was nice. Not cheap; nice. You get stuff.

For security reasons you won't go into the engine room

or camera room. You do see control room, bridge, galley,

laundry etc.

If you have interest, I would do it at least once.

:cool::cool:

Be sure to leave enough room in your luggage for the gifts, especially the robe. It will take up a lot of room and add weight. Besides that there is the chefs coat, a picture frame, a tote bag, and a note pad.

To me, the chefs jacket it a total waste.

I'm not a chef, why would I put it on -- Halloween?

Although, if needed, I can curse like Gordon Ramsey

(in American, rather than British english)

I don't wear the robe, but at least I understand it.

To me, the chefs jacket it a total waste.

I'm not a chef, why would I put it on -- Halloween?

I've often wondered just what people would do with one since we're not they type to entertain dressed like that at home unless it were a costume party & I had the hat to go with it. :p

I did the tour on Carnival for $95 and got a few gifts at the end. Not sure I'm interested in paying Princess's price, even with the extra swag. Tour was fun though.

We will be going on Princess to Alaska out of Vancouver next month. My husband has never cruised before and I think he would find the ultimate ship tour very interesting...but it runs @$150.00 and I have heard it is based on a lottery. Has anyone out there taken this tour, your opinion and was it worth the extra cost?

Thanks!:)

Yes, its well worth it. Think of it as a shore excursion only on the ship and then it doesn't seem to cost as much. IMHO much better than many shore excursions costing much more.

I've often wondered just what people would do with one since we're not they type to entertain dressed like that at home unless it were a costume party & I had the hat to go with it. :p
My BIL was a fabulous cook so I gave mine to him for Christmas. He was thrilled and wore it when he and my sister gave dinner parties. For most people, it is a waste but I was glad I could make him happy.

My BIL was a fabulous cook so I gave mine to him for Christmas. He was thrilled and wore it when he and my sister gave dinner parties. For most people, it is a waste but I was glad I could make him happy.

Wow! Great idea, Pam. I plan to do the tour on my upcoming CB cruise (if I'm lucky) and was wondering what to do with he Chef's coat. My brother in law is a retired chef, and I know that he'd love it! Thanks for the idea! Of course, the way I make a mess when I cook, I should probably keep it for myself.

Maureen

Wow! Great idea, Pam. I plan to do the tour on my upcoming CB cruise (if I'm lucky) and was wondering what to do with he Chef's coat. My brother in law is a retired chef, and I know that he'd love it! Thanks for the idea! Of course, the way I make a mess when I cook, I should probably keep it for myself.
Just make sure you request one in the right size. They gave ms a "S" initially so I asked for an "L" and they gave it to me.

We were on the Sapphire Princess earlier this month and did the UST which in my opinion is worth the money. Along with the tour and the behind the scenes look, the price includes some 'gifts'. A plush Princess bathrobe ($90 in onboard shops), an official Chef's tunic, about 8 pictures (5x7) taken by ship photographer of tour group, fruit drinks and snacks in galley and champagne with canapes after in the Wheelhouse Bar. When going onto the Bridge we were delayed about 10 minutes (at the request of the Bridge) and when we did get onto the Bridge we were told they were navigating around some humpback whales (which we did see and watched for some time). Excellent 4 hour tour!

I was going to say that on my last cruise some friends of mine did the tour and thought it was so worth it they said they'd do it again...but you beat me to it ;)

Archived