tipping in a suite

Slyfox16

The auto tip for a suite is the same for a mini suite - $11 per person per day. Personally I would add about $2-3 per day at the end of the cruise, given the larger space to service. (Since it was a free up, that seems fair value especially given the amenities..)

We were upgraded to a PH suite and was wondering how much more people might tip from a regular mini-suite?

The auto tip for a suite is the same for a mini suite - $11 per person per day. Personally I would add about $2-3 per day at the end of the cruise, given the larger space to service. (Since it was a free up, that seems fair value especially given the amenities..)

I would agree with Loonbean. VERY nice upgrade!

We normally tip an additional $2-$3 per person per day in a full suite, and sometimes a lot more, all depends on the service included with the cleaning of the suite. But totally your choice in this matter whether you tip extra or not. Enjoy that great upgrade. ;)

That is amazing...............:eek:

On top of that one steward told me that a woman was ordering double boxes of cereal from room service. When he opened a drawer toward the end of the cruise it was full of the unopen boxes?? She also demanded that he unpack and hang and drawer their luggage which, at that time, they were not allowed to do. He didn't and didn't get any tip from them.

On top of that one steward told me that a woman was ordering double boxes of cereal from room service. When he opened a drawer toward the end of the cruise it was full of the unopen boxes?? She also demanded that he unpack and hang and drawer their luggage which, at that time, they were not allowed to do. He didn't and didn't get any tip from them.

I would guess that some passengers can rationalize that they are paying a hefty sum for their suite, and think that is enough to cover gratuities. What many don't realize (it seems) is that none of that (except the basic low low wages) are given to their room steward or others that made their cruise so special.

I look at it this way, if I can't afford to tip (AT LEAST) the basic amount, then I actually can't afford that suite to begin with. ;)

I would guess that some passengers can rationalize that they are paying a hefty sum for their suite, and think that is enough to cover gratuities. What many don't realize (it seems) is that none of that (except the basic low low wages) are given to their room steward or others that made their cruise so special.

I look at it this way, if I can't afford to tip (AT LEAST) the basic amount, then I actually can't afford that suite to begin with. ;)

We are happy to book an inside - we can usually get two to four cruises a year that way. We usually book cat II.

I agree! When you're paying $7-10k for a 14 day cruise in a suite, 10 dollars per day additional equates to only 1% of your cruise! If you can afford the suite itself this is chump change!! You certainly receive the white glove service to justify the extra "thank you".

In talking with some of the room stewards it appears that most suite passengers not only remove the autotip but also do not tip individually!

WHAT!!!!

I was going to say I can't believe that but I can. A waiter once told us that many times they get someone that makes a big deal about handing them an envelope and when they open it, there isn't ANYTHING in it.

We are good tippers and if they really go out of their way, we add more.

Last year was the first time a stewart asked if I wanted him to unpack for me. There's no way I'd ask them to do that.

I'd be interested in knowing if some of these people are ones that are upgraded or if they booked and paid for the suite.

I book, and pay, for suites.

As much as I don't agree with it, I do not remove the autotip. I will often tip extra to the steward if he/she deserves it.

I can only think those that remove the autotip AND do not tip anything at all at the end, or take great delight in handing out empty envelopes, must have had a very strange up bringing.

Maybe thats why they can afford a suite, never pay for anything if they can possibly avoid it, remove any and all optional charges, only drink tap water, never buy a single thing on board. I expect that if there are people who do this regularly then their names will soon get to be known on all the ships so that all the staff can look out for them knowing they don't need to give exceptional service or make any real effort because they are not going to make anything from them anyway.

Archived