Newfoundland - Saint John's

We are taking the Jewel TA this fall. Our stop in St. John's will be in mid September. Can anyone answer these questions? Thanks!

Is September too late for whale or bird watching?

Will leaves be turning color?

Is there an area we can take a tour to that gets us outside the city for part of the day? An easy walking trail would be nice.

We want to visit The Rooms. Is that within walking distance of the port? Taxi?

Any suggestions that will make a visit to St. John's a memorable experience?

We are taking the Jewel TA this fall. Our stop in St. John's will be in mid September. Can anyone answer these questions? Thanks!

Is there an area we can take a tour to that gets us outside the city for part of the day? An easy walking trail would be nice.

I can try and answer a couple of the questions. We have been to St. John's twice. My understanding is that the best whale watching is done by mid August. We were there on one trip in early July and had the best ever exerience whale watching and puffins all at Bay Bulls with O'Briens. You could contact O'Briens Tours and ask them. http://www.obriensboattours.com/

As far as the leaves, this is a guess, I doubt the leaves will be turning by mid Sept.

The Rooms, Walking from the pier is possible as long as you are fit. It is not far but is a healthy up-hill slog on pathways and stairs or a longer walk following the streets. We have walked the down hill portion back to the dock area but would hesitate to try the up-hill portion.

Can't help with the walking trail. Our visits to St. John's has left the impression of a hilly area. I'm sure others have suggestions on this item.

Liftlockcouple - Thanks for the information. It's very helpful.

I'd used the search tool to find some answers, but these were questions I hadn't seen answered. I did find the answer to leaves changing by using Google.

Hi there. i am a native Newfoundlander and I live in St. John's, so hopefully I can help you out a little!

There are still plenty of tour boats operating in September and I think you will still have a good chance of seeing some whales and birds.

September is usually one of our nicest months, we have a very late, and very short summer, but September is good. Just remember to bring a light jacket, I don't think you'll need your shorts!

The Rooms is close to where you will dock, but as someone mentioned before it is an uphill climb.

There is a nice walking trail that takes you around Quidi Vidi Lake, it's not too far from the dock either, quite doable to walk there from the ship. There is a quaint little fishing village down there that you could visit while walking, as well they have a micro brewery that does tours (if you are into that sort of thing)

There is also a nice hike around Signal Hill, but that one is quite strenuous.

From what I have seen whenever cruise ships are in port, there will be a line up of taxis and tour busses waiting when you arrive at the pier.

If you get the chance, take a trip to Cape Spear, it's not that far outside the city, but it is the most easterly point in North America. Just obey the signs and don't be tempted to dab your toes in the ocean, tourists (and locals) have been swept away out there before.

There are lots of things to do and see in the downtown area. It's one of the oldest cities in North America, and there are a ton of boutique type shops and restaurants all within walking distance of the dock.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Hi there. i am a native Newfoundlander and I live in St. John's, so hopefully I can help you out a little!

There are still plenty of tour boats operating in September and I think you will still have a good chance of seeing some whales and birds.

September is usually one of our nicest months, we have a very late, and very short summer, but September is good. Just remember to bring a light jacket, I don't think you'll need your shorts!

The Rooms is close to where you will dock, but as someone mentioned before it is an uphill climb.

There is a nice walking trail that takes you around Quidi Vidi Lake, it's not too far from the dock either, quite doable to walk there from the ship. There is a quaint little fishing village down there that you could visit while walking, as well they have a micro brewery that does tours (if you are into that sort of thing)

From what I have seen whenever cruise ships are in port, there will be a line up of taxis and tour busses waiting when you arrive at the pier.

If you get the chance, take a trip to Cape Spear, it's not that far outside the city, but it is the most easterly point in North America. Just obey the signs and don't be tempted to dab your toes in the ocean, tourists (and locals) have been swept away out there before.

There are lots of things to do and see in the downtown area. It's one of the oldest cities in North America, and there are a ton of boutique type shops and restaurants all within walking distance of the dock.

Any great restaurants that you can recommend? We want something local and we really want to eat lobster every chance we get.....:D

There is a restaurant in the Murray Premises called the Hungry Fisherman, their specialty is seafood and they get rave reviews. Lobster season will be over here by the time you arrive, but you can still get them, they'll just cost more as they'll be brought in from other areas. Here's a link which lists quite a few of the restaurants downtown and what they offer. Some are very pricey, some are more reasonable. And of course you have the usual chain places such as the Keg Steakhouse etc, but you can eat at those places anywhere. You may find some other useful information in here as well. http://downtownstjohns.com/ But if you are looking for authentic seafood, I would highly recommend the Hungry Fisherman. Water Street runs parallel with Harbour Drive which is where you will be docked, The Murray Premises is at the West End of Harbour Drive, easily walkable for the pier. Water Street houses all the little shops and restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have always lived in St. John's and Carnival Cannucks info is great. If you are interested in Cape Spear and a nice walk there is a trail that goes south of the lighthouse that is stupendous. You can go along as long as you like and will see sea stacks, good examples of local terrain and will be just on the eastern edge of the continent. Remarkable...we walk it several times each year...http://eastcoasttrail.ca/trail/view.php?id=3

In my experience the whales will be gone south by mid September and the operators might not be exactly honest about their departure. If the birds are still on the islands the trip is still very worthwhile. Most people go on the tour to see whales but are more impressed with the birds when they get there. This is the largest puffin colony in the world.

If you have any more questions I'd be glad to answer.

Miss Molly

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be in St Johns with my sister and elderly mother in late October. I'm looking for a way to see the tidal effect as effectively as I can. From what I gather, going to St Martins would be a good way to do that. (Ive seen the reversing falls before.) There are three of us so a taxi or small tour group would do fine. Is this a good idea?

Any recommendations as to whom? I've been looking at their websites.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your really helpful post.

Could you please tell me...

How far is the walk to Quidi Vidi from the port

Roughly how long a cab journey it is to get to Cape Spear

I have also read about Bowring park. Is this a scenic place to visit, and is it far from the port?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your really helpful post.

Could you please tell me...

How far is the walk to Quidi Vidi from the port

Roughly how long a cab journey it is to get to Cape Spear

I have also read about Bowring park. Is this a scenic place to visit, and is it far from the port?

Thanks again.

From the port to Quidi Vidi Lake, taking a leisurely stroll should have you to the lake in about 20 minutes. If you're a fast walker you'll probably do it in less, but it is uphill for the first part. Once you get to the lake, the walk around is about 45 minutes, that's if you walk and do nothing else, if you take the time to wander down through Quidi Vidi village then you would be much longer. There is a micro brewery in Quidi Vidi Village that does tours of the brewery, as well as boat tours. If that interests you then you can just google it. A cab from St. John's to Cape Spear will probably take 20 minutes or so, not much longer than that. Bowring Park is scenic, but it's a typical park, lots of walking trails and pretty flowers, and a pond with ducks and seagulls in it :), not trying to deter you from going to the park, but there are so many more wonderful things that are original to this place that I would much rather see. But that is just my 2 cents worth. It really is a beautiful city, and whatever you choose to do here I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Sorry! Got wrong St Johns! Forget previous post. It wouldn't let me remove it

Actually you did not get the wrong St. John's as there is only one St. John's--- which is in Newfoundland. You are coming to Saint John (no apostrophe "s") in New Brunswick. We also officially spell out the "Saint" in the name Saint John---to avoid confusion with St. John's. Confusing the two has proven very costly for a lot of people over the years---like when they book air reservations to the wrong city.:eek:

I have just booked a fortnight in Newfoundland, arriving St John's on 3rd September. I was pleased to see that September can be one of Newfoundland's nicest months.

We are a couple of seniors, who would appreciate some local advice also.

Will it be too late for any special musical events?

How long should we stay at St John's? If we stay at St John's, would we need a car whilst we are there?

I would rather concentrate on a few special areas, than try to cover too much territory in Newfoundland, but would be happy to drive across the island, if necessary.

Our daughters have been to Newfoundland and recommended we not miss the island and its friendly people.

• 3 weeks later...

MMDown Under,

From looking over this thread, carnivalcanuck has made some good suggestions. Since you are in Newfoundland for 2 weeks, you might want to book a car and take a few day trips. It has been years since I lived there, perhaps carnivalcanuck or missmollytoo could help you more with ideas of what to do. One thing I plan to try next time I go back, though, is a Lighthouse Picnic (http://www.lighthousepicnics.ca). It looks like a beautiful spot to picnic on a warm day (hope you have a few in September!).

Have a nice trip.

MMDown Under,

From looking over this thread, carnivalcanuck has made some good suggestions. Since you are in Newfoundland for 2 weeks, you might want to book a car and take a few day trips. It has been years since I lived there, perhaps carnivalcanuck or missmollytoo could help you more with ideas of what to do. One thing I plan to try next time I go back, though, is a Lighthouse Picnic (http://www.lighthousepicnics.ca). It looks like a beautiful spot to picnic on a warm day (hope you have a few in September!).

Have a nice trip.

Thank you. If the weather is mild, we'll add Lighthouse Picnic to our travels.

Thank you. If the weather is mild, we'll add Lighthouse Picnic to our travels.

You'll definately enjoy the light house picnic! If you are staying 2 weeks though I would take a week and drive across the island to the west coast and visit Gros Morne National Park, it is a world unesco heritage site and it is absolutely breathtaking. There is a ton of wildlife to see, there is a beautiful fjord boat tour, hiking trails, and quaint communities within the park that you could visit. We spend several weeks there every year on snowmobile. It's really not to be missed if you have time......even take a couple of days to drive across as there are plenty of beautiful little towns along the way.

I would suggest you rent a car if you are going to be here for a while, we have a small population, but we are a big island and things are spaced far apart.

I do believe the music festivals will all be over in September, however we have a tiny street called George Street that is filled with bars and live entertainment to suit everyones taste,so I'm sure you would find something suitable down there.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your stay on our beautiful island!

Ahh the music. No season is too late for good music in St. John's. Having lived there for 3 years a long time ago, my fondest memory after the friendly people has been the music of Newfoundland's pubs and nightclubs.

We went back this spring to see how things have changed. St. John's is more cosmopolitan than it was and much larger, but the people are still friendly and the music is still great. Look for Irish music in the evening in one of the pubs along and around George Street. It's a small, walkable area and easy to sample.

Almost as musical is the accent of Newfoundland's rural women. This is not meant to be a sexist remark, but 40 years ago the young women of rural Newfoundland spoke with a distinctly different accent than the young men. Like the now-indigenous music, it has Irish roots and it's one of the world's prettiest, most musical dialects of English. We found it still this spring in the young woman who served us in the Nonia handicrafts shop on Water Street, in St. John's.

Rent a car, as others have suggested, and spend a day touring around Conception Bay. It's still a wonderful drive, unlike anywhere else in Canada.

You'll definately enjoy the light house picnic! If you are staying 2 weeks though I would take a week and drive across the island to the west coast and visit Gros Morne National Park, it is a world unesco heritage site and it is absolutely breathtaking. There is a ton of wildlife to see, there is a beautiful fjord boat tour, hiking trails, and quaint communities within the park that you could visit. We spend several weeks there every year on snowmobile. It's really not to be missed if you have time......even take a couple of days to drive across as there are plenty of beautiful little towns along the way.

I do believe the music festivals will all be over in September, however we have a tiny street called George Street that is filled with bars and live entertainment to suit everyones taste,so I'm sure you would find something suitable down there.

Ahh the music. No season is too late for good music in St. John's. Having lived there for 3 years a long time ago, my fondest memory after the friendly people has been the music of Newfoundland's pubs and nightclubs.

We went back this spring to see how things have changed. St. John's is more cosmopolitan than it was and much larger, but the people are still friendly and the music is still great. Look for Irish music in the evening in one of the pubs along and around George Street. It's a small, walkable area and easy to sample.

spend a day touring around Conception Bay. It's still a wonderful drive, unlike anywhere else in Canada.

Thank you carnivalcanuck and porsena, much appreciated.

Gros Morne National Park had been highly recommended, but I was of two minds re the long drive across the island, but sounds like it is not to be missed. Looking at my map of Newfoundland, I can see we could have spent much longer in Newfoundland. However, we have a week ferry cruise to the Magdalen Islands, as well, so I'm looking forward to enjoying lots of beautiful music, wildlife and spectacular scenery.

Brisbane used to have an annual Guinness Irish Concert in February, with Celtic singers/musicians from all over the world, including Canada.

Hi,

I am cruising to Saint Johns during Labor Day weekend (Sept 3rd) and was wondering how easy is it to arrange a Lighthouse Picnic from the Port of Saint Johns and how long it will take. If anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I am cruising to Saint Johns during Labor Day weekend (Sept 3rd) and was wondering how easy is it to arrange a Lighthouse Picnic from the Port of Saint Johns and how long it will take. If anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated.

Not sure how easy it is to arrange, you can contact them on their website http://www.lighthousepicnics.ca and ask if they arrange transportation etc, they are located an hour away from where your ship will be docking. I hope our weather improves by the time you get here!! If not, you will need a fall jacket and long pants!

Archived