Aussies enjoying an old ship

Thought I would start a thread where people could post some pictures of any enjoyable cruises that they have had on "old" cruiseships.

Strictly for old ships - 20 years plus!! :p The older the better! :)

This one is of Pacific Sun - on it's way to Vanuatu.

Quite a young crowd - families with children - great fun.

PacSun%20.JPG

Barry

I sailed on the Alexandr Pushkin in 1984-5

It was a great Ship, shared toilet facilities, Cabins booked until full so we had a 68 year old stranger sharing with 3 blokes in their teens or early 20's.

We had a great time and I am pleased to see its still doing the rounds as the Marco Polo with is strong Hull construction it does plenty of work in both of the Arctics.

My favourite Aussie P&O ship (so far) is the "old" Pacific Dawn. She fits into the old category now as she was built 1991 - yes, folks that was 20 years ago!!!

A great sailaway party heading to Tasmania

PacDawn.JPG

I just can't understand how these Aussies continue to enjoy cruising on these old tubs?? Can't they see that they are old and broken down all the time. And you can see by the crowds in my last two pics just how overcrowded they are - and not only that but you have to pay the same fare for an inside cabin that you can get a balcony for in the US. Aussies will just accept anything - that's the reason!

Barry

G'day Macca

Got any pics?? Marco Polo (ship) is quite famous now.

Barry

I have somewhere Bazz, I would need to find them and scan them in.

We did Noumea, Isle of Pines, Vila and Espirito Santo

There are plenty of pics of the Marco Polo online.

It was a menu of Borscht soup with a Bread that was dark outer Crust and a yellow inside.

Was not bad to be honest.

I will have to dig out some pics, but the Kareliya, a Russian ship, comes immediately to mind. A different experience for us some 20 yrs ago. Poker machines everywhere, even down the corridors, but main memory (shock) was the Vodka being served in shot glasses for breakfast.......wait for it.....even placed in front of the children.

Things were different then. Oh, did I mention the metalic creaking noises, constantly.

We have come a long way. I remember the Sun and the waterslide. It was great fun, until I was advised kids only.

Jen

I remember the Sun and the waterslide. It was great fun, until I was advised kids only.

Jen

Hey whaaaaat? Do you mean they wouldn't let you down the slide, Jen? :eek: Not nice! I've been thinking of a cruise on the Carnival Spirit just to experience the thrill of the new slide! :D

Ahh the memories, I loved Fairstar in the Sitmar days but I would have to say that my favourite ever cruise was on E&A's (P&O subsid) beautiful little passenger cargo ship "Cathay". (she accommodated 320 pax):)

She and her sister ship Chitral used to do 6 week round trips from Australia to PNG, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines and Japan, her exact itinerary and length of stay in the various ports could be slightly varied to suit loading and unloading of cargo. Our cruise was actually longer than normal as we disembarked in Hong Kong taken to an hotel for 10 days whilst she was taken to dry dock, then she was returned back to the terminal and we resumed out cruise. :D

She actually got a mention on our Pacific Sun cruise last year with the Captain Trevor Lane saying that Cathay was his favorite ship of all.

400411.jpg.f1356347096efb4de1b894cdc88b7952.jpg

Barry,thankyou for posting the photos of the Pacific Sun.It brought back some good memories.This was our first cruise and we were undecided about going as we had heard so many negative comments but we decided to give it a go and I'm so glad that we did.We had a ball!

That pool slide was very popular with the children and adults.Does anyone know why it was removed? Was someone injured or was it the fear of litigation.

Regards Elaine

I heard it was removed because of the water spray it caused that led to slippery decks. It took extra staff to keep the water under control.

This photo shows the relaxing back deck on the Sun. This was on our first cruise and we loved it.

I have only been on old ships so I wonder how I will go on the next one as it is only 5 years old.

SDC10138a.jpg.26b4c5589d810ed469606d1745d1468f.jpg

Archived