RR ...which side is better?

mmpadp

In Skagway we will be taking the White Pass and Yukon Railroad to the summit; and was curious if either right or left side is more scenic. I know the seats reverse for the return trip, but I was also wondering if people change sides.

They announce the seat flipping, and suggested switching sides. But we stood up and everyone on the 'good' side ignored us. Conveniently enjoying the wonderful view of the hillside and water puddles at the top.

YMMV.

Just took the trip last week, and the left side is best going up. On the right, you'll see trees primarily. Unfortunately, we did not make it past mile 13 and had to return. Never saw the really spectacular views. We received a 50% refund, but it was really not the trip we purchased, sadly. Brake problems.

I promised myself that the next time this topic was posted I would ask my question. CruiserBruce-is it the left side of the car (the driver's side on a bus) or the passenger's left when facing the seating? We are going on the Infinity in September and would love to have this information correct. Thanks for posting.

I promised myself that the next time this topic was posted I would ask my question. CruiserBruce-is it the left side of the car (the driver's side on a bus) or the passenger's left when facing the seating? We are going on the Infinity in September and would love to have this information correct. Thanks for posting.

I sat on the left side going up, getting the good view first. Then.......at the top, I turned my seat around, and crossed the aisle, switching with the people across the aisle. I was on the left again, but the train seats were facing the opposite way, so the people I switched with got the view going down. I was outside a lot though, and saw the view that way too. You can move around a lot.

Left side up and right side coming down. We have done it twice in recent years and the cars have never been full so we have always been able to enjoy both view sides. If possible get the left side up as the narration tends to be a bit better.

Left side up and right side coming down. We have done it twice in recent years and the cars have never been full so we have always been able to enjoy both view sides. If possible get the left side up as the narration tends to be a bit better.

How's the narration on the Chilkoot one? We are doing the bus up and the train back.

Here's another good suggestion....get in the last car so you can stand on the back landing and get fantastic unobstructed views / pictures on the way up. Even if it's raining (it was on my trip), the landing is covered so you can still stand out there and not get too terribly drenched.

Archived