Istanbul - DIY or HAL Tours

DoverHeights

Two of us (both female in our 60's) did Istanbul on our own on an overnight port stop. Finding ourselves without change for the tram, we went to a nearby bank, withdrew some Turkish lira, then obtained small change for the tram at a teller window. The bank people were kind and accommodating.

The first afternoon, we used the tram to get to Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, and the Cistern - all fabulous. We missed Topkapi and the Hippodrome, but had adequate time at the stops we chose.

The second morning, with the ship scheduled to sail early afternoon, we used the tram again and spent about two hours at the Spice Market, a smaller, kinder, gentler public market that sells lots and lots of stuff beyond spices and food, gave us a wonderfully exotic experience, some great saffron to bring home, and some memorable interactions with Turkish vendors in the various stalls.

Afterward, we had time to stop for coffee and some falafel at a nearby cafe. Total cost for the two days wasn't more than $80 for the two of us.

(We had both previously visited the souk in the Old City in Jerusalem, so didn't desire the overwhelm of the grand Bazaar. The sellers at the Istanbul Spice Market were much lower-key than the ones in the Arab shops in Jerusalem.)

Well my wife spoke to a friend who with her husband had spent a few days in Istanbul recently and convinced her that it was OK!

We are pre-visit researchers and have no problem in foreign lands if they are "normal" - well mostly normal. We will drive from Milan to Venice for 8 days, before the cruise and we know no Italian - agreed Italian is not like Turkish but we can read a sign and work out that 2 funny words which sound rather like archaeological museum actually mean that.

So, we should manage without guides, without tours, see exactly what we want - and save a fortune!

Thanks for the help - I will continue to scour these boards until we set out in July.

Michael in Sydney

Congrats, I think you've made a great decision. I've got tons of info on Istanbul so if I can help with any planning, I generally check the Ports of Call boards (Med -- Other Ports) forum at least daily and answer questions.

I can't begin to imagine, as one poster suggested, missing out on a port with so much history -- between the Roman empire, Byzantine era, Crusades, Turks, there's a lot to see. :)

We were there in October at the end of the cruise- overnighted on the ship for a night and then spent 2 nights on our own. We booked a private tour with 2 other couples thru Ekol for the first day and a half- pick up and return to ship the first afternoon, then off the ship and touring all day with a drop off at our hotel. Our guide made dinner reservations for us and arranged for the restaurant to pick us up and return us to our hotel. We went to an area that is lined with seafood restaurants, all of which also had outside seats. It was quite the happening place! The bazaar was fun with and without our guide, and we never felt unsafe anywhere we went. We did walk thru an area behind the bazaar that was not at all secular (many women were totally veiled, the rest all in headscarves). I stuck out like a sore thumb, but never felt unsafe, albeit a out of place a bit (we had gotten ourselves lost and totally turned around!). I would suggest women dress conservatively (pants and sleeves) and carry a scarf or shawl you can use to cover your head if you feel the need anywhere.

Thanks Cynthia,

We also need to polish up our Mathematics/Physics Greek alphabet for Athens. It's amazing how much signage is for names and how traffic terms are international. So being able to understand a Pi from a Theta from a Rho - upper/lower case - really helps - or sounding out a Greek word, letter by letter and realising that there is a similar English word. I did the same in St Petersburg - like Greek but with a few others and "amazed" fellow travellers (or maybe bored them) with my ability to read the signs - without knowing a word of the language. Maybe Da and Nyet.

Michael in Sydney

I loved Istanbul and its people!! I also enjoyed Kusadasi which is on the Asian side of Turkey. I dressed appropriate for the Blue Mosque tour and even brought a scarf for my head but all they required was taking off ones shoes. The red carpeting there was wonderful!! Yes, there was a little pressure everytime one stopped to look at goods in the bazaar but sales are what keeps their families fed. Felt safer there with employed men instead of leering men hanging out at street corners in some cities.

I did see lines at ticket booths at the sites but with a tour guide you bypass these. At the harem our guide explained the different rules etc. and what was expected of the women while if one was on their own, I doubt you would know what went on there.

Friends did a tour of the whole country of Turkey and loved it and its people.

So my answer is forget it.... have a relaxing day and enjoy the ship... and save for another less carnival port. Just because the ship stops there dosent mean you have to or will enjoy it
We thought Istanbul was one of the most interesting places we've ever seen in the world, and was a major factor in why we chose the N.A. itinerary that went there.

We didn't find the Bazaar merchants all that pushy, but if that kind of market doesn't interest you, just don't go there. We've been to many places in the world where we found the street merchants very annoying, but in Istanbul we saw hardly any.

I am browsing these threads looking for info on South American cruises and came upon this thread. I thought that I would give you some further input on tours in Istanbul.

We visited Istanbul 4 yrs. ago and I did extensive research on private tour guides. I was in touch frequently with the different tour companies so I could get a "feel" of who I thought would best fit the needs of the tour I was organizing. Hands down, it was Kagan Kosagan! Here is his website:

http://www.tourguidesinturkey.com/index.html

We did an overnight in Istanbul and I had 15 people sign up for the private tour. I told Kagan what we hoped to see in the time we had in Istanbul and he put together an itinerary for us. It was an absolutely fabulous 2 days we spent w/ Kagan. Even if you only have one day, Kagan can show you most of the highlights of Istanbul. He will provide transportation based upon how many you have in your group. He is very flexible. He will get the tickets to the sights you will visit so you don't have to stand in line. He will also give you hints on visiting certain places - e.g. the markets. The people in Istanbul are very friendly and helpful. We really loved seeing Istanbul and it is my favorite place. I would not hesitate to recommend Kagan. I have recommended his tours to many people and everyone has been satisfied. He is truly passionate about Istanbul and loves to show you some of the highlights. You would not be sorry you booked him. His prices are very reasonable also and you will get the max for your money.

Mary

Three years ago we spent an overnight in Istanbull... myself and DH (late 60's, early 70's) and both DD in their 40's. We arrived in port shortly after noon and explored the Grand Bazaar that afternooon via public transportation, but left the bus about 5 blocks from the Bazaar and walked faster than it to the Bazaar. The following day we left the ship at 8:30 AM for the Topaki Palace, the Blue Mosque and the Hag. Soph. They are all within a short walk from each other. We took a cab to the area and had a short wait until the Topaki Palace opened. You'll want to allow plenty of time to explore it, the grounds are beautiful and once inside there is a whole treasure to examine. Next we walked through a beautiful park to the Blue Mosque. If you aren't carrying any lira, there's an exchange there, but the line-ups were very long when we arrived. We didn't get to the Hagia Sophia, because we'd spent too much time in the other two and the line-up to get into the Hagia Sophia were extremely long. Before we left our cab that morning we'd made arrangements to be picked up at 12:30 to be back to the ship before 1:15.

There was no problem with language nor did we feel threatened at any time. But, IMO, the main thing is what your wife feels most comfortable with.... it's hard to really "see" the surroundings if we're always on the lookout for possible threats. <s>

Whichever way you decide, enjoy your visit, it's a great stop.

Smiles

Marg

So my answer is forget it.... have a relaxing day and enjoy the ship... and save for another less carnival port. Just because the ship stops there dosent mean you have to or will enjoy it
:eek: I could no more stay on the ship in Istanbul than in St Petersburg! ;)

Archived