Carnival loses "slip-and-fall" lawsuit

tef43

Then you should thank the good lord above that you don't have any. Me -- I can't even mow the lawn without suffering pain. Ibuprofen has become and every day way of life and one day I will probably have to have a kidney transplant because of it. Not to mention the 40,000 dollars in debt I incurred due to my accident. So you are saying I am not entitled to be compensated for any of that because in your opinion its "complete bull"...Great compassion you have there.

You should be compensated for your $40k of debt and your ibuprofen for life.

Then you should thank the good lord above that you don't have any. Me -- I can't even mow the lawn without suffering pain. Ibuprofen has become and every day way of life and one day I will probably have to have a kidney transplant because of it. Not to mention the 40,000 dollars in debt I incurred due to my accident. So you are saying I am not entitled to be compensated for any of that because in your opinion its "complete bull"...Great compassion you have there.

Gemsm I think that is the problem. People are so quick to judge, but once they are put in that situation they would feel differently. Ignore the person that says no one should be compensated for pain and suffering. If they were in an accident due to someone elses mistake and were forced to use a wheelchair for the rest of their life, no doubt they would sue for everything they could get. And anyone that says differently is full of it.

And I understand about the pain medication. It eats away at your body with long term use. My father has kidney problems now and was told that he can no longer take certain pain killers for risk of kidney failure.

Says someone who has never been in an accident through no fault of their own. Trust me your judgement will change when it happens to you. It isn't just the money to cover medical expenses and lost wages. It is also the months you miss of your life recovering from said accident. It is also the things you will never be able to do again because of the injuries incurred in said accident. Unless you have actually been in one you wouldn't understand. I didn't until it happened to me.

You know nothing about me. I have had a few car accidents where I was not at fault. You know what I did? Made the other person's insurance cover my medical bills, loss of income (if any), fix the damage to my car, and provide me with a rental. No lawsuit necessary.

Again- the issue is that the at fault party should pay for your medical bills related to the accident for life and any loss of income, actual money spent, etc- not just give you money for the heck of it.

Gemsm I think that is the problem. People are so quick to judge, but once they are put in that situation they would feel differently. Ignore the person that says no one should be compensated for pain and suffering. If they were in an accident due to someone elses mistake and were forced to use a wheelchair for the rest of their life, no doubt they would sue for everything they could get. And anyone that says differently is full of it.

And I understand about the pain medication. It eats away at your body with long term use. My father has kidney problems now and was told that he can no longer take certain pain killers for risk of kidney failure.

And what is money going to do??? Money is not going to take back what happened.

I would not sue for everything I could get. I would sure for medical expenses and loss of income, loss of mobility, modifications to my house/car, etc.

You know nothing about me. I have had a few car accidents where I was not at fault. You know what I did? Made the other person's insurance cover my medical bills, loss of income (if any), fix the damage to my car, and provide me with a rental. No lawsuit necessary.

Again- the issue is that the at fault party should pay for your medical bills related to the accident for life and any loss of income, actual money spent, etc- not just give you money for the heck of it.

Good for you...Know what I did? Sued because the other person's insurance wasn't enough to cover my medical bills much less my vehicle which was totalled, the rental, the month of lost wages etc....

Glad you didn't miss out on anything in life while recovering. I did. Also my quality of life has suffered big time. You know nothing about me either yet you think I asked for money for the heck of it so pot meet kettle

And what is money going to do??? Money is not going to take back what happened.

I would not sue for everything I could get. I would sure for medical expenses and loss of income, loss of mobility, modifications to my house/car, etc.

Goodie for you. we got that point after the 4th post -- this 5th one was probably not necessary. We get that you wouldn't sue and that you would just suffer through life with a debilitating injury. More power to you but that is not me or my opinion nor apparently is it the lady who sued Carnival's either.

You should be compensated for your $40k of debt and your ibuprofen for life.

Obviously you aren't paying attention. What about the damage done to his/her body from the long term use of pain medication? Talk to your doctor and ask what pain medication does to your body. It basically eats away at all your organs.

But its obvious you have no compassion for other people so any information is wasted on you.

Goodie for you. we got that point after the 4th post -- this 5th one was probably not necessary. We get that you wouldn't sue and that you would just suffer through life with a debilitating injury. More power to you but that is not me or my opinion nor apparently is it the lady who sued Carnival's either.

I would not suffer through an injury. After Carnival covers the medical expenses how is an extra $2m for pain and suffering going to reduce your suffering? If there is pain/suffering left after all the surgeries and medical treatments, no amount of money is going to make it go away.

Obviously you aren't paying attention. What about the damage done to his/her body from the long term use of pain medication? Talk to your doctor and ask what pain medication does to your body. It basically eats away at all your organs.

But its obvious you have no compassion for other people so any information is wasted on you.

I understand the damage to your body. What is $2m for pain and suffering going to do to make that go away? It's not about compassion for people, which I do have. It's about this sense of entilement to absurd amounts of money for what is often times shared negligence. If the amount awareded for pain and suffering was $200k instead of $2m maybe I wouldn't be so shocked about it.

Good for you...Know what I did? Sued because the other person's insurance wasn't enough to cover my medical bills much less my vehicle which was totalled, the rental, the month of lost wages etc....

Glad you didn't miss out on anything in life while recovering. I did. Also my quality of life has suffered big time. You know nothing about me either yet you think I asked for money for the heck of it so pot meet kettle

Your quality of life suffered. You missed out on things in life. What did the money do to compensate for that? I'm not saying it isn't true, just wonder what insane amounts of money have to do with it. I also am not saying you got a ridicoulous amount of money. Some people do not. In this case, the $2m for pain and suffering was excessive.

I would not suffer through an injury. After Carnival covers the medical expenses how is an extra $2m for pain and suffering going to reduce your suffering? If there is pain/suffering left after all the surgeries and medical treatments, no amount of money is going to make it go away.

That would be because you don't pay attention. The 2 million judgement was not for pain and suffering it was for medical expenses, future medical expenses, and loss of quality of life.

You are right no amount of money will make my pain go away...but there is amounts of money that will keep me from having to do certain things that cause me pain...like mowing the lawn or painting the house.

Like I said...you have your opinion and your way of doing things. I don't agree. Enough said

That would be because you don't pay attention. The 2 million judgement was not for pain and suffering it was for medical expenses, future medical expenses, and loss of quality of life.

You are right no amount of money will make my pain go away...but there is amounts of money that will keep me from having to do certain things that cause me pain...like mowing the lawn or painting the house.

Like I said...you have your opinion and your way of doing things. I don't agree. Enough said

Read the article. Of the total amount, almost $2m had nothing to do with medical expenses or loss of income. That's what I find ridiculous.

$1,960,000 for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering. That's the issue.

Pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of quality and enjoyment of life, scarring, disfigurement, and disability.

She got 2 million for non-economic and 1 million for economic. That is about the norm.

Like I said...I don't see it as an issue. You do. And at this point you should probably just agree to disagree like the rest of us

Pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of quality and enjoyment of life, scarring, disfigurement, and disability.

She got 2 million for non-economic and 1 million for economic. That is about the norm.

Like I said...I don't see it as an issue. You do. And at this point you should probably just agree to disagree like the rest of us

So if I get into a small fender bender causing $1,500 of damage to my car, $4,500 for medical expenses, and I miss a week of work (assuming someone that makes $10 an hour) totaling $400 in lost income, I should also get $12,800 just because? That's twice what the economic damages are. More than likely I will never incur another medical expense in my life related to this accident and that is more money than I make in 7 months.

That's the sad reality. Many people that file lawsuits for things like that and collect money for "future medical bills" and "pain and suffering" never spend a dime of it on anything related to the accident. They go out and buy new cars, remodel their houses, take fancy vacations, etc.

IMO pain and suffering should never be higher than the actual economic damages. But I'm done. The system we have created in our society encourages this type of behavior. Meanwhile, those of us that do not file frivolous lawsuits pay more for everything we buy to cover the claims paid out by companies, doctors, etc.

It's kind of hard to argue the verdict here since Carnival admitted liability. The award is egregious, but it will almost certainly be reduced significantly upon appeal.

My guess is Carnival won't appeal as they got off rather lightly. And no the award is average in the US not egregious.

It's kind of hard to argue the verdict here since Carnival admitted liability. The award is egregious, but it will almost certainly be reduced significantly upon appeal.

I hope it gets reduced. This is most certainly ridiculous.

I have to give my 2 cents into this because on my 2008 cruise on the Valor, I had a fall myself. It was near the pool but here is where it was different. It was the last night of the cruise and we were walking around for the last time. Good shoes and I still slipped and fell. Few things here-

The area was VERY dimly lit and found out later that the deck was just scrubbed for the next cruise. There were no signs, nothing ropped off that you could not go in that area. The kicker is there were 5 employees standing there watching the entire thing and one was an officer of the ship. They did not ask if I was ok or if they could help or anything. The only thing hurt, luckally, was my pride since I slipped in public but the way it was NOT handled made me upset. I wrote a letter to Carnival and they said I can get vouchers for either photos or drinks on them.

Point is we dont know EVERYthing that happened in this case and I think that there is reason to say that it was fair....

So if I get into a small fender bender causing $1,500 of damage to my car, $4,500 for medical expenses, and I miss a week of work (assuming someone that makes $10 an hour) totaling $400 in lost income, I should also get $12,800 just because? That's twice what the economic damages are. More than likely I will never incur another medical expense in my life related to this accident and that is more money than I make in 7 months.

That's the sad reality. Many people that file lawsuits for things like that and collect money for "future medical bills" and "pain and suffering" never spend a dime of it on anything related to the accident. They go out and buy new cars, remodel their houses, take fancy vacations, etc.

IMO pain and suffering should never be higher than the actual economic damages. But I'm done. The system we have created in our society encourages this type of behavior. Meanwhile, those of us that do not file frivolous lawsuits pay more for everything we buy to cover the claims paid out by companies, doctors, etc.

Most of the time pain and suffering isn't higher than the actual economic damages because they determine future earnings and future lost wages as part of that which to the courts are considered actual economic damages. Actually in the US those estimates are pretty darn conservative. Not the other way around

I hope it gets reduced. This is most certainly ridiculous.

You probably think 60,000 for a rear-ender is ridiculous too.

Or that 4.6 million for a drunk driver without a license driving a company vehicle and killing someone's husband is ridiculous.

And as I said you should thank the good lord above that it hasn't happened to you and hope it never will

Or that 4.6 million for a drunk driver without a license driving a company vehicle and killing someone's husband is ridiculous.

And as I said you should thank the good lord above that it hasn't happened to you and hope it never will

$4.6m? Is that supposed to bring the husband back to life? If husband makes $50k a year that's 92 years of lost wages.

$60k for a rear-ender might be ridiculous, might not be. For most rear-enders it probably is. Depends how bad the REAL injuries are, not the ones people decide to make up.

I am learning a lot from you. I will be better equipped next time I get rear-ended. I will keep a personal injury attorney on speed dial on my phone and be sure to call even if I feel no pain because surely the attorney will find something to sue for.

Most of the time pain and suffering isn't higher than the actual economic damages because they determine future earnings and future lost wages as part of that which to the courts are considered actual economic damages. Actually in the US those estimates are pretty darn conservative. Not the other way around

You said non-economic is usually twice as much as economic damages. I was following your rule.

It HAS happened to me. I've been rear ended twice and never got lawsuit happy and called an attorney. I also rear ended someone once. They didn't seem to think a lawsuit was necessary either.

Archived