Carnival loses "slip-and-fall" lawsuit

tef43

I am simply amazed that so many people here believe that this amount of money is going to make her wealthy. It's 2011, not 1975.

Even in 2011 $3 Million is real wealth. She can invest it and conservatively make $150k a year for the rest of her life with virtually no risk.

My point was you don't know what exactly happened. Nor do you know the ordeal she went thru, or will have to go thru the rest of her life. It very well may be the extra piddly $2m will not be enough.......

Oh but loss of quality of life shouldn't be compensated according to them. If this lady is 20 years old and will never walk right again and never be able to do what she could prior to the accident thats just too damn bad according to flcruiser. I mean heck economic damages paid for her surgeries. Never mind that they may not be able to medically put her back to the way she was prior to the accident. That isn't worth any money - ROFL :)

This is why I gave up on him/her

Even in 2011 $3 Million is real wealth. She can invest it and conservatively make $150k a year for the rest of her life with virtually no risk.

not if 1.98 million of it is part of a structured settlement.

And she won't get 3 million...she will get 2. the attorney will get the other million

not if 1.98 million of it is part of a structured settlement.

And she won't get 3 million...she will get 2. the attorney will get the other million

And she will likely get her 2 over 10 or 20 years, meaning she will not get wealthy, she will be getting a living wage.

People are acting like $2m is nothing.

I live a very nice lifestyle and I'm not even 30 years old yet, and it only keeps getting better.

LOL...yes, you are young. You see everything as black & white and when you grow up a little, you'll see they gray. ;)

You see, I am happy you are in a very good place financially at a young age...but let's put your young mind in gear a minute.

IF you continue to prosper as well as you have thus far, and in 10 years are really very well off financially, (and I hope you are) you may see that being under 40, with injuries that affect your job/life with SO much of it ahead of you, is quite devastating...and IF you are doing that well financially, then 2 million dollars isn't going to seem all that large a sum.

You see, that's yet another thing you know nothing of....This woman may possibly be in a very high tax bracket and loss of income to her may be a lot more than what you are obviously capable of conceiving...so 2 mil may not be an exorbitant amount of money for her.

You need to back down because you know nothing about this woman, or this case...admit that and let it go already.

The more I think about this and run the numbers in my mind, the more I think that maybe she didn't get ENOUGH money. I mean if she's 90 and knocking on death's door, she got plenty, but if she's young (20s / 30's) and is now unable to work because of this, she may be destitute by 50 for sure unless she has a husband or family who does well and stands by her. Maybe she should have held out for more. Just saying. :)

The more I think about this and run the numbers in my mind, the more I think that maybe she didn't get ENOUGH money. I mean if she's 90 and knocking on death's door, she got plenty, but if she's young (20s / 30's) and is now unable to work because of this, she may be destitute by 50 for sure unless she has a husband or family who does well and stands by her. Maybe she should have held out for more. Just saying. :)

That really puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

Where can I invest my $3M settlement at 5%, other than gambling in the stock market? :)

1. I wish the award were enough that it would motivate Carnival to re-surface the pool areas on that class of ship.
  2. Those saying that she is set for life financially. But if she is pain on a regular basis, that's not the greatest trade off. Your health and well being is priceless. Compensation to help her enjoy life a little more is not a bad thing. Also, this wasn't about a runaway jury awarding punitive damages. It was about top priced attorneys on both sides and a top judge. It only went that far because the plaintiff's attorney couldn't reach an agreement with the defendant's insurance company/legal team. Yawn. It's also possible that plaintiff had travel insurance and her carrier didn't want to pay because it believed Carnival was liable for everything.
  3. The price of your cruise will not be impacted by this lawsuit. Carnival charges as much as it can already to fill its ships. It wouldn't even register a blip on earning per share of Carnival's stock. These arguments to the counter are a bit of hyperbole by cheerleaders for this cruise line.

LOL...yes, you are young. You see everything as black & white and when you grow up a little, you'll see they gray. ;)

You see, I am happy you are in a very good place financially at a young age...but let's put your young mind in gear a minute.

IF you continue to prosper as well as you have thus far, and in 10 years are really very well off financially, (and I hope you are) you may see that being under 40, with injuries that affect your job/life with SO much of it ahead of you, is quite devastating...and IF you are doing that well financially, then 2 million dollars isn't going to seem all that large a sum.

You see, that's yet another thing you know nothing of....This woman may possibly be in a very high tax bracket and loss of income to her may be a lot more than what you are obviously capable of conceiving...so 2 mil may not be an exorbitant amount of money for her.

You need to back down because you know nothing about this woman, or this case...admit that and let it go already.

Future wages are put into the calculation. Didn't someone on here say there was a case where a young male died and they assumed he would have earned $8m over his career even though he was so young he couldn't even have been out of college yet? You are right I do not know her income or future earning potential. I would be interested in seeing how much money she makes compared to the amount she got for future loss of wages (which is in addition to the $1,960,000 for non-economic damages she got). Surely they assumed an increase over her current pay.

And she is not a vegetable nor is she wheel chair bound for life- she has a bad knee. It's not like she'll never be able to work again. I wouldn't think it was outrageous if she wouldn't be able to work again for the rest of her life. However if that was the case she would have received millions for future loss of income in addition to the money she got for pain and suffering. That's just it- she did get money for her loss of income plus the non-economic damages. You're acting like this is all she has to live off for the next 30 years.

No one has been able to convince me that this isn't just free money in her pocket. By free it means she will not spend a dime of it on anything directly related to the accident and her loss of wages directly related to the accident was covered by the other money they gave her. In other words, if this accident never occured, she'd be in the exact same financial position she is in now minus $1,960,000.

Quite a few at fault accidents as well.

Hope he doesn't get sued.

Learn how to read. I said I've had several not at fault accidents and never sued anyone. I've had one at fault accident and wasn't sued either. But that's just it- if I get sued they will award the plaintiff much more money than if someone that makes $30k a year and has no assets gets sued for the exact same incident. That's the problem with our legal system.

Archived