Iceland Volcanic Ash

spindrift

A couple of years ago when the volcano in Iceland erupted, I recall reading about coverage when flights were cancelled. Does anyone have any information on this. Yes, I know each travel policy is different, but I would like to have an overall view or information from someone who might have experienced this.

We leave for Europe 6/19 and did our own air rather than the cruise line air. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I placed a claim when American Airlines cancelled my flight to the UK and I had to spend a night (fortunately just one) in Chicago. I was in the Admirals Club when I received the text message and the agents in there quickly got me rescheduled for the next day and a room voucher (reduced hotel rate).

Part of the process is to obtain a verification of delay from the airline. On mine it stated that the flight was cancelled due to weather (no mention of the ash). No problems at all with the claim.

In general, the insurance companies covered it as if it was a weather related delay. People who bought insurance before the event started were fine. People without insurance would not be covered if they bought insurance after it started. But once flights resumed, then people could buy insurance and be covered for future eruptions. Even though the volcano was still smoldering through most of the summer, if it started erupting again, then insurance would treat that as a seperate event.

Archived