which port is best for snorkel/scuba

Hi There!

I have a few questions that I hope some can answer. I'm taking 2 back-to-back cruises on Royal Caribean's Freedom of the Seas from Oct. 9-23rd.

Here are the following ports: Cococay, Bahames; Charlette Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten, Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Canyman; & Cozumel, Mexico.

Which ports are the best for snorkeling and scuba diving?

Also, I have a flip video & underwater case (up to 30 feet). Would that be suffice for taking video/photos or should I purchase another type of camera? I will most likely be using it for snorkeling, but I plan on getting scuba certified and was hoping to use it for that as well.

Thank you all for your help! :)

You could get a lot of answers/opinions if you went over the the actual port forum for each individual ports you will be visiting.

I loved St Thomas and we went to Sapphire beach (others say Coki is awesome as well, but there has been some dangers there for visitors last year due to a passenger shooting). I can link you to my review with pictures if you are interested.

St Martin, I was told it wasn't the "place" for awesome snorkeling, so when we went there last year, we watched the planes come in instead (fricken AWESOME!).

Cozumel has some great snorkeling places (the Money Bar, Chankanaab and I'm sure others).

It's been so long since I've been to the Cayman Islands, but I think that's where I first snorkeled and have read others say it's a great place to snorkel as well.

Just do a lot of research over there, narrow it down to what suits you best, then start asking questions. This place is a wealth of information. :)

Here are my recommendations:

Cococay, Bahamas

Go to the beach

Charlette Amalie, St. Thomas

Go Snorkeling - diving is marginal

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Go to the beach or go shopping

Reefs are in poor condition

Labadee, Haiti

Go to the beach

Falmouth, Jamaica

Visit Ocho Rios or Montego Bay - explore the island

George Town, Grand Canyman

Go Scuba Diving - 2 tank boat dives or from shore at Turtle Reef

Cozumel, Mexico

Go Scuba Diving - 2 tank boat dives preferable

UW Camera: If you intend to go scuba diving, the camera should be rated for depths at least 100ft+

Hey Snootles,

I'll throw my votes for the folowing sites on your port islands (in no particular order)

1.Cozumel-Palancar Reef off Panancar Beach boat trip $20-$30pp

Excellent reef, had great inexpenisive Mex beers & guac, salsa afterwards.

2.Grand Cayman-Snorkel from shore. Start at Eden Rock, then nearby Devil's Grotto, then the wreck of the Callie (in front of Hammerheads bar), & the wreck of the Gamma

3.St.Thomas-taxi to Secret Harbor. Nice snorkeling, calm bay, most pitcheresque beach. Great lil bar & resturant right there the Blue Moon

4.St.Marten-Try a snorkel tour w/Capt Alan ($40.00pp?) to snorkel off Pineal island absolutly beautiful!

I've some pics of each place if you like e-mail me at snorkeldawgs@frontier.com

• 1 month later...

I have probably snorkeled over 100 different spots world wide.

I really liked saphire beach on St Thomas but Trunks bay on the neighboring island of St Johns was better. 20 years later I have to say it is still in the top ten places I ever went. Both are beach access.

I was in Grand Cayman in 1/11. There was good snorkeling on the north side of the island. You have to go with an operator though as it is boat access only.

Was also in Cozomel for the first time in 25 years on the same trip. Many operators through cruise lines. Try to go out on boat. Visibility is an issue if there was a storm which is always possible in October.

Would not spend the money to snorkel in Bahamas. Very expensive unless you go out of Nassau.

hope this helps

Hi There!

I have a few questions that I hope some can answer. I'm taking 2 back-to-back cruises on Royal Caribean's Freedom of the Seas from Oct. 9-23rd.

Here are the following ports: Cococay, Bahames; Charlette Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten, Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Canyman; & Cozumel, Mexico.

Which ports are the best for snorkeling and scuba diving?

Also, I have a flip video & underwater case (up to 30 feet). Would that be suffice for taking video/photos or should I purchase another type of camera? I will most likely be using it for snorkeling, but I plan on getting scuba certified and was hoping to use it for that as well.

Thank you all for your help! :)

We dove in St. Thomas in April and loved it. Saw a lot of wild life including a baby nurse shark, sea turtle and numerous fish.

Grand Cayman and Cozumel are supposed to be some really good diving. We will be diving both of those in October. Cozumel is drift diving so you will just ride the current and watch the wildlife as you go by. Not sure how that would affect any snorkelling.

I'm not real sure on the other destinations, but I hope that helps....Have a great time.

Archived