Pacifc Pearl - Salt Grill

Have just cruised on the Pearl and tried the Salt Grill. It was excellent. The liquorice parfait is so nice. I wanted to ask if I could just buy one of those everyday but didn't get around to it, was always full from the other food places. It looks different, but the taste is something you really must try. The rest of the meal was great as well, very very tasty.

OMG - this thread is like a mad woman's breakfast - all over the place !!

Back to the original question.

The Salt Grill on the Pearl was fantastic.

We were able to have as much food as we liked with no additional cost ($30 for lunch or $40 for dinner - same menu). You pay for your wine of course which can be sent to the MDR if you don't finish your bottle. The only other extras are for items such as lobster, caviar etc, and other than those items which are clearly noted on the menu, you can choose whatever you like.

We had several friends on board for P117 (Food and Wine cruise) and Salt Grill did what they could to seat us together, however three of us sat on one table.

We shared various items from the Tapas menu in addition to our entrees (had a main meal but entree sized), then we each had our main meal with side dishes, a dessert each and fourth dessert which we shared between us plus cheese and "biscuits" and cappacino / flat whites. Luke's bottled water was complimentary.

The food was delicious, the service impeccable and it was definitely worth the cover charge.

Ask the waiter for suggestions if you want as we found them very good at food /wine matching after we told them what we were thinking of eating and what type of wine we liked to drink.

Oh and BTW, some people we met on board went to the Salt Grill and especially loved the desserts. They ended up sitting in the MDR next to us and on the second last night of their cruise, they requested desserts from Salt and were given them at no extra charge while the rest of us looked on thinking that we should have asked for Luke's desserts too.

i read some posts last night and today they are gone?.....what happened

someone must have spit the dummy

This thread has had more posts deleted since it started than any I've seen...every morning it takes on a new look! :D Host Walt is outstanding! but it must be confusing for some :confused:

I think someone was put in the naughty corner or the thinking circle.... maybe with a dictionary for company......:D

LOL I think the XXXX takes control after a certain time so a dictionary would be ineffective :p

Oh and BTW, some people we met on board went to the Salt Grill and especially loved the desserts. They ended up sitting in the MDR next to us and on the second last night of their cruise, they requested desserts from Salt and were given them at no extra charge while the rest of us looked on thinking that we should have asked for Luke's desserts too.

That's interesting to know! Might try it out on my 3 dayer in July. The liquorice parfait is yum!

This thread has had more posts deleted since it started than any I've seen...every morning it takes on a new look! :D Host Walt is outstanding! but it must be confusing for some :confused:

LOL I think the XXXX takes control after a certain time so a dictionary would be ineffective :p

That's interesting to know! Might try it out on my 3 dayer in July. The liquorice parfait is yum!

Me too, me too..... I think I have you to thank for that, you told me about it on Pearly and we both had didnt we????/ soooo yummmmmm..... I only have 2 sleeps till we are on Dawny, so I might give it a try in the dining room, dont like my chances, as everyone would order from Luke's if word got out or it was possible.. Will let you know, we will go to Salt Grill anyway, might go for lunch this time.. Fiona

Does lukey baby have a restaurant in Brisbane. I have been to Aria Chef's table (company thank you gift) in Sydney It was so horrendously expensive, so nice to try his version of food cheaper.

I so like to try different restaurants on the ship, now we don't have small kids to stop us going there.

I just don't like eating in the same place every night which gets a tad boring when you cruise a lot. You can almost say what is going to be on the menu the night without looking.

Yes, there's an Aria in Brisbane. We were supposed to be going there last year for a friend's birthday, but plan's changed then due to some unexpected surgery for our friend's partner, and we didn't make there. Hopefully we'll get there this year.

Rose

Don't drink water with hot chilli - drink sweet milk type drinks . That's what Indians have Lassi for :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassi

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/1705/mango-lassi.aspx

Kills the heat in it's tracks!!

Barry

Hi Barry

Thanks for the tip. I am learning to tolerate chilli and the more I have the more I like. The next time I have it i'll et the waiter to bring me a glass of milk too lol (he'll probably think i'm strange, but worth a shot) :).

I was on a chocolate high last night and my posts were removed, not sure why though coz I was simply replying to other posts and all totally innocent ;). All I can think of is chocolate and the delicious chocolate dish you can get in the Salt Grill.

well that all took awhile to read....

thank you to those that actually keep it to the Salt Grill, all my questions have been answered.

I'm looking forward to trying it, and as there is 3 of us i'm be sure we all try something different so we can taste them all :o

looking forward to the liqouice icecream and choc desert...

Yes - the problem with these restaurants is that the menu is so big( and nice) that firstly, we have a problem making a decision ( ESPECIALLY my wife!!!!:( ) and we would have to attend many times to try everything!!! :p

Barry

When we went at Easter there were 5 of us and we had a few different dishes.. I had:

Shared the breads with balsamic/oil, shared the tapas (thought this would be quite small but was very big) entree: prawn and avocado salad (had the nicest dressing) large serving, Main: Salmon (we all ordered different sides, like diff vegies) and desert: Licorique parfait (A must) My favourites from my orders were the desert :p and the entree.....was sooo good... Actually the main and the starters were, oh ..... Why dont I just say it was all my favourite :D

We hadnt been before and the staff were great and recommended the tapas and how much etc.....so we left it up to them and when they asked what we wanted on the tapas, we said, you surprise us, we are not fussy, so they bought out one of each :eek:

Fiona

We just got off the Jewel on Wednesday and we went to the Salt Grill for our wedding anniversary, I booked and paid beforehand for a celebration package which was really good value 2 x 3 course meals a bottle of wine of our choice from the wine list, a voucher for a portrait photo value $29.95 and a small Anniversary cake all for $80. A wonderful meal of Breads with oils and nuts, Tempura Prawns, steak that melted in your mouth and could have been cut with a bread and butter knife and Luke's signiature desert Licorice Parfait which was to die for, my DH said if he was at home he would have picked the bowl up and licked it, lol it tasted that good. I have heard that P&O have stopped these packages now, does anyone know if this is right, shame if they have as they are great value. Thied was right about one thing though, the same staff are used in Salt Grill as in the other food areas of the ship, amazing how the service differs from one area to another, in the Salt Grill they fall all over you, get the same staff in the MDR and it is a different story. A great place if you are celebrating an occassion or for something a bit differnt from the MDR for a reasonable cost. Robin:)

Yes the staff from Salt Grill also do other jobs in the other food areas, but they do have to have special training which was set up by Luke Mangan when he set up the restaurants. Once they've passed that training then they can also work in Salt Grill.

There was a book on Luke Mangan I was browsing through in a bookshop the other day which had a chapter on his Salt Grill restaurants.

He gets daily reports from his restaurants in Sydney & Japan, and on Dawn, Pearl and Jewel about how many customers, what they ordered and if there were any issues.

Better stop talking about it now, getting hungry...:)

Archived