This is silly but...I think I am packing to much!

Ladies - I am think I am packing to much!!!! I have 2 formal dresses and a couple of dresses for the other nights. I am also packing capri's and slacks. I have a couple of bathing suits and of course shorts. I might be taking more shoes than needed. How much is to much???

Stressed over packing! :o

You are! :D

But seriously, it is better to take it and not use it than to not take it and need it -

I forgot my razor, only had straight razors on board, tore me poor lil face up

Take duct tape. seriously. I found some that is a flat roll and takes up no room. I used it to hem a pair of pants that I forgot about and a couple of other uses!

You are! :D

But seriously, it is better to take it and not use it than to not take it and need it -

I forgot my razor, only had straight razors on board, tore me poor lil face up

Take duct tape. seriously. I found some that is a flat roll and takes up no room. I used it to hem a pair of pants that I forgot about and a couple of other uses!

Heh...I read your note about razors and tearing up your face and the next thing you wrote was take duct tape...seriously. All I could see is you covering up your little divots with pieces of duct tape and going to dinner trying to ignore these little silver spots on your chin. :)

Oh, yeah! don't forget to weigh your bags. United charges $25 for bags over 50 pounds and the ship only allowed 200 pounds per passenger. We were well under the 200 pounds but had to shift some stuff for the 50 pound limits on the airline. And United is starting to measure carry-on luggage. We had to check one of the other bags that we have always taken on board.

Oh, yeah! don't forget to weigh your bags. United charges $25 for bags over 50 pounds and the ship only allowed 200 pounds per passenger. We were well under the 200 pounds but had to shift some stuff for the 50 pound limits on the airline. And United is starting to measure carry-on luggage. We had to check one of the other bags that we have always taken on board.

Guess its a good thing we don't have to go on a plane because I would be SOL! My husband thinks I am packing to much. I wish I was a MAN, and didn't have to pack all the crap I do! Thanks for your input :)

If you don't get a hernia you are all good. Pack away, stop feeling guilty and go for it. After all, you never know what you might feel like wearing. I can go for two weeks for business in a small rollaboard, vacations are different ;)

i agree with mary.. i like to have choices. I guess that's how i can validate my crazy over packing.

I'm one of those people who would rather be too prepared, even if that means having a suit case that weighs as much as i do!

I also agree with another comment, as long as you can carry everything then you should be alright. But if it gets to a point that you have too many bags or your bags weigh too much then you might want to leave a few things out. Basic clothes are always great to bring along, easy to mix and match and still look great

:)

I'm one of those people who thinks you can never pack enough, and wodners why my parents give me funny looks as I unpack my nine pairs of shoes... The lovely people at my airport never pay attention to the weight, and so imagine my surpise as I'm in the middle of post-cruise depression in the San Diego airport having to shift around my belongings (including lingerie) because my suitcase was 56 pounds. :eek: :mad: ... Its just silly to me. I know rules are rules, but jeez. Do they want me to put 30 pounds in one suitcase and 26 in another... seems like thats more work for them and me than lifting a slightly heavy suitcase :rolleyes:

Okay, sorry about ranting off topic... Pack what you want, but beware of evil airlines if you're flying... if not, DEFINITELY go crazy. Its better to overpack than to underpack in my opinion. :D

Wow, am I the only one who packs WAY WAY WAY less than I used to? ;)

I have found after about 15 cruises that I can get away with a WHOLE BUNCH less than I did in my first few cruises. And since I hate schlepping big bags around, that's a good thing. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if it's a warm-weather cruise, I pack really light for daywear, as I end up most days in a bathing suit. For shorts I pack a couple of neutral colors and a variety of tops. Even WITH the less that I pack now, I seriously still NEVER wear everything I pack.

I have shoes down to a science...if it's something that I'm only bringing for ONE outfit, they don't get packed. I either switch outfits or figure a way to make some other shoes work, ones that will go with more than one outfit.

But hey, if you don't mind dragging heavy bags (and you're within the airline weight limits) then go for it. I swear, though, you will NOT wear everything you pack. :D

now that is too funny!

I used it on a drawer, my pants, and those luggage airbags that help you stuff more in a suitcase. Those are a God send by the way...

I just bought the American Tourister brand at Wal Mart ($18/4 bags). We are leaving early Friday to drive to Orlando so I had to start packing for me and the girls tonight. DH can pack himself! ;) Anyway, I am looking at those clothes in those air bags and wondering what in the world are they going to look like when I take them out SUNDAY? Either these bags are a GODSEND or they are going to embarass me to death with all the wrinkles we will be wearing. I followed the directions, packed the limited amt. in the bag, then got the air out as instructed. They just LOOK like a wadded up mess in there.

OK- what I am asking for is reassurance. Lie if you have to. ;)

Wow, am I the only one who packs WAY WAY WAY less than I used to? ;)

I have found after about 15 cruises that I can get away with a WHOLE BUNCH less than I did in my first few cruises. And since I hate schlepping big bags around, that's a good thing. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if it's a warm-weather cruise, I pack really light for daywear, as I end up most days in a bathing suit. For shorts I pack a couple of neutral colors and a variety of tops. Even WITH the less that I pack now, I seriously still NEVER wear everything I pack.

I have shoes down to a science...if it's something that I'm only bringing for ONE outfit, they don't get packed. I either switch outfits or figure a way to make some other shoes work, ones that will go with more than one outfit.

But hey, if you don't mind dragging heavy bags (and you're within the airline weight limits) then go for it. I swear, though, you will NOT wear everything you pack. :D

Okay, I did not wear two of the three bathign suits I packed... other thn that, EVERY darn thing... its funny. I'm the opposite of many people on cruises. I avoid bathing suits and coverups as much as possible.

I'm pretty good at packing but what I do is pack everything then take half out and then take some more out. My problem though is the shoes for the formal nights. I think for during the day will be just bringing 2 pair of shorts and 3 bathing suits and some tops.

Also I like buying souvenirs when I travel - so will get shirts when I'm there.

2 pairs of capri pants and 2 dresses plus the casual stuff. Who knows what I'll buy there?

Anyone buy in the stores on the ship? Are they outragiously priced?

Looking forward to my cruise in Jan. 06

Judy:)

actually, it wasn't too bad! The cotton stuff was worse than the poly stuff, obviously. But I also took that lil steamer that Wal-mart sells for about $12 and it got rid of the bad wrinkles nicely. One lady at our table said that she just spritzs everything with water as she unpacks and it de-wrinkles stuff ok, too.

We packed way too much for our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cruises. So we challenged ourselves for this last cruise, 7 day Mexican Riviera on the Diamond Princess, to pack only what would fit in carry-ons. The 3 of us each brought one standard carry-on and a backpack. Also, the other caveat here is we decided to skip formal nights this time around so no need for formal wear.

We not only managed to get everything packed in the carry-ons and backpacks, I still brought home 4 items that were never worn - 1 pair of shorts, 2 blouses, and 1 pair of long pants. And my son never touched 2 pair of his pants.

We didn't miss a thing and it sure kept our lives simple. One reason we decided to go with this plan is we had a flight that didn't get into SeaTac until just after midnight the Sunday night we flew home. We had to go to work and school the next morning and Seatac baggage arrival is notoriously slow. We didn't want to wait the extra hour (I'm not exaggerating, it can take this long).

Our next 7 day cruise is to Alaska from Vancouver so we're lucky, can take as much as we want because we're driving to the terminal. And, suspect we'll need a few cold weather items and will do formal night this time around. But we proved you can travel really light on a 7 day cruise and still have a fantastic, and simpler :-), time.

Another light packer here. It doesn't bother me a bit to wear the same item two or three times during the week. No one really notices or cares.

Bevo, I really don't think the space bags are intended to keep your clothes unwrinkled. So pack the stuff that you don't mind a few wrinkles in, such as underwear, pajamas, bathing suit. Most clothes get wrinkled in a suitcase from being packed too tight.

Our first few cruises we overpacked and brought home a lot of clean clothes. I also spent a lot of extra $$ on items I found on packing lists and other peoples suggestions. Now I enjoy the challenge of being creative and packing less. I leave home anything I know will be provided by the ship (except toiletries) or that I can possibly live without for a week or so. It not only makes travel more pleasant, it's nice to not have to organize all the junk for the week.

Archived