Just returned...Tauck Budapest to Prague tour

SheilaNC

We just returned from our long awaited Tauck River Cruise that met and exceeded our expectations. From the moment that we met the Tour Directors in the lobby of the Intercontinental Hotel Budapest to the hugs good-by in Prague, we felt cared for and, with one exception, the guides in our port stops were terrific. Food was very good for most meals - excellent at others. Scenery along the way was lovely. Hotel stays in Budapest and Prague were very good with buffet breakfasts included on those days. Cruise Director and Tour Directors were outstanding. Other passengers were friendly and fun; we spent a lot of fun time and meals with Don P and his wife Carol - another nod to the friendships made on Cruise Critic boards. The few minor problems were attended to quickly; all of the staff and crew were friendly, informative, and helpful. We would book another river cruise with Tauck in a heartbeat.

My complete review will be posted in the Member Reviews section of CC as soon as I have the time to write it. Thanks to all who helped to inform our decision with special accolades to Shoshona who so frequently answered our pre-cruise questions. If I can answer any questions, please post them.

What an absolutely wonderful cruise and cruise line! Tauck did an exceptional job and in coordination with the company they contract with for the ship we were on. From start to finish the attention to detail; the quality of the tours and the tour guides; the cruise director, Lynn Hardcastle and Tauck's tour guides, David, Fero and Jeremy were superb. The pace of the tour was perfect. Having done lots of ocean cruises in the past we used to find ourselves exhausted at the end of each stop. We found the river cruise pace most satisfying as we didn't feel rushed at any of our stops. The local guides were extremely knowledgeable and made each stop very informative and interesting.

The ship we were on, the MS Swiss Jewell was in fact a jewell. At different stops along the way folks from other river cruise lines would comment on how beautiful our boat appeared.

Carole (my wife) and I were delighted to make the acquaintance and ultimate friendship with Sheila and her husband Art. We also met so many other nice people. My wife enjoyed the "fab four"' Canadian ladies, who reminded her of her circle of friends here in Sarasota, Florida. We also met another couple from Sarasota and hope to touch base with them when they return home.

Lastly, if someone were to ask me was it worth the price and did it meet our expectations, I would have to respond that it most definitely was worth the price and it exceeded our expectations.

Torst (and others),

If you think it would be helpful, my blog is at BudapesttoPrague.blogspot.com. Excuse the personal 'stuff' since I do this for family and friends, but I think it provides some of the detail you are looking for. Pictures are being added but not completed yet.

I will post when my review is submitted but remember that it takes a few days to be reviewed and posted.

Sheila, just finished reading your blog and really enjoyed it. We are doing Prague to Budapest with AMA in a couple of weeks.

A question (I know this is an entirely different cruise line, but I just want to know your experience): you were able to get your Marriott benefits at the hotels where you stayed. Did Tauck give them your Marriott rewards number ahead of time, or did you have to tell the hotel when you arrived? AMA has us staying at the Hilton Old Town in Prague, which is good because we are Hilton Honors Gold, but they say they can't input my husband's honors number ahead of time. And if Hilton doesn't have it ahead of time, we probably won't get a room upgrade (yes, I know, we are spoiled). We should get lounge access either way. I have looked at my cruise docs and don't see a reservation number for the hotel listed, so I doubt my calling Hilton would help. What was your experience?

Rachel,

I think we have good friends going on AMA with you. They leave the US on June 1.

Re: points....we don't know if we will get credit for the nights that we didn't pay for. We plan to ask since we did 'pay' for them through Tauck but didn't put our number on the whole reservation. However when we checked in, we gave them our Rewards card so I'm hoping that it made it to all of the nights in Prague. The Hilton is just across the street from the Marriott, so you're in a great location. We walked everywhere except when Tauck took us to a dinner a distance away. Enjoy!

Hi Host Sheila,

Thanks for your nice remarks about my help. So happy you enjoyed your Tauck experience. We've been on 17 Tauck Tours -- some on their small boats -- and love them. We booked AMA for Russia in September and have our fingers crossed that it will be a good experience. To Don P: So,so happy you had a good time. I told you that hardly anyone going on Tauck posts here or on their Board, but to trust me!!!

Sheila M.

To Host Sheila,

we have never gotten credit with any hotel chain's frequent member club when booking with Tauck. They tell us that Tauck's price is below the usual rack price so we can't get credit for the stay.

Sheila M

Sheila, just finished reading your blog and really enjoyed it. We are doing Prague to Budapest with AMA in a couple of weeks.

A question (I know this is an entirely different cruise line, but I just want to know your experience): you were able to get your Marriott benefits at the hotels where you stayed. Did Tauck give them your Marriott rewards number ahead of time, or did you have to tell the hotel when you arrived? AMA has us staying at the Hilton Old Town in Prague, which is good because we are Hilton Honors Gold, but they say they can't input my husband's honors number ahead of time. And if Hilton doesn't have it ahead of time, we probably won't get a room upgrade (yes, I know, we are spoiled). We should get lounge access either way. I have looked at my cruise docs and don't see a reservation number for the hotel listed, so I doubt my calling Hilton would help. What was your experience?

Thanks Sheila for info!

Rachel we are going on the same cruise with Ama June 27th on the Ama dolce. We received out cruise docs yesterday and this cruise looks both classy and fabulous.

We did the the Budapest - Prague itinerary last year on AMA and it was superb, even though we had to contend with high water conditions. Our cruise director was waiting for us at our Budapest Hotel and stayed with us through our last day in Prague.

You will have a great trip!

• 5 weeks later...
We just returned from our long awaited Tauck River Cruise that met and exceeded our expectations. From the moment that we met the Tour Directors in the lobby of the Intercontinental Hotel Budapest to the hugs good-by in Prague, we felt cared for and, with one exception, the guides in our port stops were terrific. Food was very good for most meals - excellent at others. Scenery along the way was lovely. Hotel stays in Budapest and Prague were very good with buffet breakfasts included on those days. Cruise Director and Tour Directors were outstanding. Other passengers were friendly and fun; we spent a lot of fun time and meals with Don P and his wife Carol - another nod to the friendships made on Cruise Critic boards. The few minor problems were attended to quickly; all of the staff and crew were friendly, informative, and helpful. We would book another river cruise with Tauck in a heartbeat.

My complete review will be posted in the Member Reviews section of CC as soon as I have the time to write it. Thanks to all who helped to inform our decision with special accolades to Shoshona who so frequently answered our pre-cruise questions. If I can answer any questions, please post them.

Thank you so much for posting the details of your trip. My husband and I are taking the same one in September. Could you tell me if many men did not wear a jacket to the nicer dinners? He doesn't want to haul one along to save room in the luggage and wondering if many wore a sweater or something other than a jacket. Thanks in advance!

Tauck does not require the wearing of a dinner jacket. It is suggested. We were on the same cruise with Sheila and Art and agree with her review. This is an exceptional experience. We wore dinner jackets three times. The first time was the welcoming reception dinner. The second time was in Vienna at the palace dinner and performance. The last time was at the Captain's farewell dinner. Again, I'll state dinner jackets are not mandatory. That being said it is interesting to note that 45 out of 46 men wore either a suit or a jacket and a shirt and tie. I can also attest to the fact that it was warm to hot in May but still some occasions call for a bit of formality.

Thank you so much for posting the details of your trip. My husband and I are taking the same one in September. Could you tell me if many men did not wear a jacket to the nicer dinners? He doesn't want to haul one along to save room in the luggage and wondering if many wore a sweater or something other than a jacket. Thanks in advance!

Returned yesterday from Tauck Prague to Budapest. As Canadians we had not heard of Tauck but chose it as a result of this board. In terms of the jacket question. A number but certainly not all wore jackets on the first and last evenings though I do not remember anyone with a tie. We opted out of the Vienna dinner so cannot report.

Trip was very good and I will write a report or review later. In the mean time I twould be glad to answer any questions. Now off to work in a jet lagged state!

Tauck does not require the wearing of a dinner jacket. It is suggested. We were on the same cruise with Sheila and Art and agree with her review. This is an exceptional experience. We wore dinner jackets three times. The first time was the welcoming reception dinner. The second time was in Vienna at the palace dinner and performance. The last time was at the Captain's farewell dinner. Again, I'll state dinner jackets are not mandatory. That being said it is interesting to note that 45 out of 46 men wore either a suit or a jacket and a shirt and tie. I can also attest to the fact that it was warm to hot in May but still some occasions call for a bit of formality.

I will be on my third Tauck riverboat cruise in September. The question about men wearing coats onboard is a frequent question here and on the Tauck web site. The three men in our party of six wear a sport coat at the Captain’s welcome dinner, on any off-site special dinner, and at the farewell dinner. We wear them because we are comfortable in them. We all wore suits at work until casual Friday and then casual everyday came along at work. Being retired now, it is still no big deal to wear a sport coat. We also wear ties on those occasions. I would say that most of the guys wear a sport coat, no tie. But, if you are not comfortable wearing a coat, don’t. You are on vacation. Take a look at the Tauck video about river cruising. I think they show the guests at some of the dinners.

Most men wore jackets (sports jackets mostly) to the Welcome dinner, dinner at the Palace in Vienna, and some to the Captain's final dinner.. I didn't hear/see anyone make comments about or to those who did not. My DH wore a jacket...because they were all special events and it was comfortable for him. Almost all men wore ties, BYW.

RachelG,

Re: restaurants...we did not eat at many expensive, fine restaurants...were more interested in eating where locals ate and experiencing that type of experience. We went to a cute little 'neighborhood' cafe in Budapest recommended by Rick Steves and love eating in the outdoor patio (tried goulash soup and hungarian stew). In Prague we ate at another outdoor restaurant near the Marriott recommended by the Concierge when we asked re: local food. We loved a simple lunch at the Sacher Hotel grill overlooking the river in Salzburg - was a hot day and it was lovely to sit on a shaded patio with a sandwich and, of course, a beer. In Vienna, we ate at the Mozart Cafe in the Sacher Hotel with Don P and his wife and had another very good lunch. Some say the service is very slow there but we had a delightful waiter and good service although we did wait a bit for the check :)

Hi Host Sheila,

Tauck Tim just posted on the Eastern Europe Board on Tauck's Message Board that the Prince of the Vienna Palace has requested that the gentlemen wear jackets to the concert there. If anyone is interested in the complete post, they can go to that board.

Wish you were going on our next river boat cruise on AMA to Russia in September. We would have a chance to meet.

Sheila (Shoshona2)

Thanks to all of you for your information regarding jackets. I guess that leads me to my next question - How much luggage did you bring?? I read one piece p/p is suggested but we have never been able to get by. I have seen pictures in reviews which show four pieces in the room. So I'm just wondering if an issue is made if extra luggage is brought. That was partly why we were trying to eliminate the jacket to save room. Thanks again in advance!

I'm glad the ultimate authority (the host) has clarified this matter. It raised quite a stir on another board. The option here is if you really don't want to wear a jacket then don't go to the Palace. Once again I'll state, this was the highlight of the tour! It was no big deal to show some level of respect for this event. Thank you for sharing this info.

Tauck Tim just posted on the Eastern Europe Board on Tauck's Message Board that the Prince of the Vienna Palace has requested that the gentlemen wear jackets to the concert there. If anyone is interested in the complete post, they can go to that board.

Wish you were going on our next river boat cruise on AMA to Russia in September. We would have a chance to meet.

Sheila (Shoshona2)

• 1 month later...

Archived