Formal Night Question

Hubby and I have cruised before - this will be our first cruise bringing along our sons (17 and 11). For formal night, how formal do the boys need to be? I can wrangle the 17-yr-old into a button down and tie, but the 11-yr-old - well, it's hard to find ties to fit little guys and still look good. Can I get away with dress pants and a nice button-down short-sleeved shirt without a tie for him?

It depends on the cruise line and, somewhat, on the itinerary, but I'd say yes, that should be acceptable for an 11 yo on all mainstream lines, assuming appropriate formal table manners are packed as well. :D

Go for dress shoes (or as close an approximation as you can get an 11 yo into - no white sneaks or sandals)

When my son was early teens, I was lucky to find him a nice blazer second-hand, which he wore on our formal night. Otherwise, a dress shirt it would have been. It stinks to spend lots of money on an article of clothing to be worn once and outgrown.

If your 17 year old is into girls, he might feel a bit "out of place" if he doesn't dress it up a bit....all the girls will be dressed to the "nines"! However, he won't be banned if he only wears a nice shirt and slacks.

Ah, yes, cb, he is into girls. My plans were for him to wear dress shirt and tie (pants, too, of course! LOL) but the little one has me somewhat puzzled. We are going on Carnival so I would assume the aforementioned attire would work for an 11-year-old. Thanks for the input!

Ah, yes, cb, he is into girls. My plans were for him to wear dress shirt and tie (pants, too, of course! LOL) but the little one has me somewhat puzzled. We are going on Carnival so I would assume the aforementioned attire would work for an 11-year-old. Thanks for the input!

Carnival is pretty casual even on elegant nights. Some people dress to the nines and others don't. You will see pretty much everything when it comes to attire.

Your 11 year old will be fine without a tie. Some of the adults may not even be wearing them.

Have fun!

and then there is my son, 7, who took me shopping so he can dress up for formal night - suit, with vest, tie with matching silk handkerchief... and all black converse sneakers (he can't wear dress shoes because of a bad knee at the moment) - he looks so gorgeous though - now his dad and have to dress up to match!! LOL

11 year old will be fine in dockers and a nice shirt, a tie is a nice touch but can't believe any ship will kick him out if you are dressed similar.

Hubby and I have cruised before - this will be our first cruise bringing along our sons (17 and 11). For formal night, how formal do the boys need to be? I can wrangle the 17-yr-old into a button down and tie, but the 11-yr-old - well, it's hard to find ties to fit little guys and still look good. Can I get away with dress pants and a nice button-down short-sleeved shirt without a tie for him?

Clean black sneakers instead of dress shoes. It will also be one less pair of shoes to pack.

In college (early '80s) all the guys wore new black suede or cord Vans loafers for our spring and fall formals. They wore the black Vans until the next dance and got themselves a new pair of shoes.

I'd say to dress your son to compliment the rest of the family. Especially if you want to have a formal picture taken. If the other men in your party are wearing jackets and ties, he will look out of place without.

I haven't cruised Carnival in more than 10 years, back then formal meant formal. But nowadays they call it "elegant" (which I don't quite get, it sounds more like smart casual to me when people explain what they wear). From what I've read on the boards, jackets are optional, many men don't even wear ties. So, I'd not worry too much if I were you, I don't think your sons or husband will be out of place in shirtsleeves.

If I were you, I'd do a search on the Carnival board to see what the general consensus is there.

Looks like you are going on Carnival and that should be fine for an 11-year old.

and then there is my son, 7, who took me shopping so he can dress up for formal night - suit, with vest, tie with matching silk handkerchief... and all black converse sneakers (he can't wear dress shoes because of a bad knee at the moment) - he looks so gorgeous though - now his dad and have to dress up to match!! LOL

That is soooooooo cool!

A side note: men in tuxedoes make me swoon (think James Bond) and I love elegant night for that. Glad to see that your soon is on board with dressing up.:D

I told my Grandson to wear his school wear ,black pants white short sleeve shirt with his black shoes & they have a nice tanktop instead of a jumper , he laughed & said no way ..he always wears sports wear & jogging pants & his Dad also isn't listening to me for formal nights etc ...it should be fun hope i get to say ...told ya so ;)

We were discussing children (an 11-year-old boy in particular), stone. I think I got the answer to my question. He'll be just fine in a khakis, a dress shirt - no tie.

Thanks to all who answered my original question. Bon voyage...we're sailing Saturday.

Archived