Credit card confusion

cruise6932

Im from the uk.

Is it best for princess to convert the payment from pounds to us dollars, or allow my credit card company to do this, when settling my onboard account?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Almost never a good idea to let a third party (Princess) choose conversion rate. Usually a company "competitive conversion rate" is "competitive" like I would be competitive playing Tiger Woods in 18 holes of golf.

Likely your CC has a fee (call them to find out) but almost always it is preferable to pay your CC fee then to let Princess (or any third party) pick a conversion rate out of the sky. Despite having 24/7 internet access in this digitally connected world and daily currency rates would require less bandwidth than a single ecard many companies adjust their conversion rate once ever couple MONTHS (I don't know about Princess but RCCL does it once every 3 months) and then hedge it in their favor (like at each reset taking lowest conversion rate in prior 3 months).

I am sure the fact that this is a source of instant and easy profits has nothing to do with their "reason" for having such poor conversion rates.

Hi there

It's best if you allow your own CCC to do it as it normally works out cheaper this way - and you get quite a decent rate to the dollar. Princess charges 3% to convert for you. Just check the box in your Personaliser to say you don't want them to handle it. I should also check your documentation when boarding too as this will be, in effect, a final check. It's always a good idea to check your folio regularly whilst on board.

Depending which ship you are on - you might be able to print a copy of your folio yourselves from a computer near the Pasenger Services Desk (we could do this back in March aboard Emerald) - just to satisfy yourselves that all charges are actually yours. It's a long queue on debarkation morning if you find something wrong in your final statement!

Phew - that was a long answer to a straightforward question:D - hope I've not bored you too much!!

Oh forgot one other thing. To save even more money get US cash or US traveler's checks from your local bank. Even if you are uncomfortable drawing and carrying enough to pay for your entire onboard bill this way you can deposit at least some against your bill.

Oh forgot one other thing. To save even more money get US cash or US traveler's checks from your local bank. Even if you are uncomfortable drawing and carrying enough to pay for your entire onboard bill this way you can deposit at least some against your bill.

Letting your credit card do the conversion will be cheaper than paying bank rates for Travellers Cheques or US Cash.

Hi Cruise6932. I am on my first cruise in June and have completed my details on the 'personalizer' and have elected to be billed in £US.

Get your self a Nationwide Credit Card which I believe has no charges when purchasing goods/services in a foreign currency and offers a very good rate, almost the bank rate rather than the tourist rate. I think there are a couple of other cards which offer the 'no fee' so check round and find which suits you best.

Always elect to pay in the local currency when abroad with either debit or credit cards. Nationwide does charge a fee to take foreign currency from ATM however Norwich and Peterbourough does not with it's Gold Light account but there with that account you must make a few payments in per month, to conform to this just set up a small standing order/direct debit (£1 a time) twice a week into the account and you will not incur any charges.

Please do check out the T&C's on any card before ordering and don't just take my word for it.

A pre pay debit card might also be worth a look, I have a US$ FairFX card which has meant I have been putting a bit aside now and then when the rate has been good, its a bit like buying Travellers Cheques but much easier and I understand you can pay off On Board fees during the cruise.

Final word, PAY IN US$

A pre pay debit card might also be worth a look, I have a US$ FairFX card which has meant I have been putting a bit aside now and then when the rate has been good, its a bit like buying Travellers Cheques but much easier and I understand you can pay off On Board fees during the cruise.

Final word, PAY IN US$

This is generally a good idea, just be aware:

1) not everyone accepts them - best to check Princess does first if you are going to use it for onboard ship - there are not many instances of this but have had some where not accepted

2) Maybe more important is that you the consumer have less protection than on a credit card, for example if there is a dispute between you and supplier, credit card company will usually take it up on your behalf/reverse disputed charges etc, this DOES NOT happen with a debit card - you are obliged to contact suppliers yourself. If you live abroad and find someone has double charged you somewhere else it can be a real hassle to sort it out...

Bottom line read the fine print!

Hi Cruise6932. I am on my first cruise in June and have completed my details on the 'personalizer' and have elected to be billed in £US.

Get your self a Nationwide Credit Card which I believe has no charges when purchasing goods/services in a foreign currency and offers a very good rate, almost the bank rate rather than the tourist rate. I think there are a couple of other cards which offer the 'no fee' so check round and find which suits you best.

Always elect to pay in the local currency when abroad with either debit or credit cards. Nationwide does charge a fee to take foreign currency from ATM however Norwich and Peterbourough does not with it's Gold Light account but there with that account you must make a few payments in per month, to conform to this just set up a small standing order/direct debit (£1 a time) twice a week into the account and you will not incur any charges.

Please do check out the T&C's on any card before ordering and don't just

ke my word for it.

Final word, PAY IN US$

Nationwide now charge, halifax do a comission free cc

Hi ansp, Nationwide Credit card no commission unti 31st July, then after that they have a way of accuring commission credit by using the card in the UK. This is for goods/services purchases not ATM withdrawals.Their Flex account debit card has charged for a while now which is why I suggested the Norwich and Peterborough debit card which is commission free on foreign ATM withdrawals.

I know they changed all the rules, all to complicated now. We ditched are nationwide accounts on pricipal. Does not seem that long ago they advertised the proud to be diffrent no comission ads. Halifax clarity card for cc. We now bnk with n and p

Hi antsp (sorry got your name wrong last time!) Totally agree with you re Nationwide, they are not looing after their customers at all. Used to use the Flex a/c lots and therefore keep a reasonable amount in there but since they changed and now charge for foreign withdrawals have moved over to N&P which coming from Norfolk feels better as well!!!

The halifax cc you want is called clarity

Yep - I got a Halifax Clarity specifically to use abroad. No surcharge and VERY good exchange rate...my wife just came back from a trip to Australia and if I remember correctly the rate was almost identical to that published on xe.com.

Archived