Are suites worth it?

OttawaJohn

And truthfully, sometimes you can experience issues in the suites. After our Jewel cruise, we waited for our car service next to two couples who had been in the Courtyard Villas. They had a rough experience this trip.

There was a group of six women traveling together in one villa. So at least one of the younger women slept out in the Courtyard instead of in a room. And instead of using the shower, she went into the Courtyard pool with her shampoo and soap.

Then, one of the woman we spoke to went out into the courtyard heading for the exercise equipment and found one of the six women lying drunk on a lounger totally nude.

Both of these couples we spoke to said they have been in the Courtyard Villas at least four times in the past and had never had an experience like this. But can you imagine if you had saved a whole extra year to be in a Courtyard Villa and then had this experience? You just never know.

:eek:

My wife's gotten to the point of not even really caring about the destination - just get her on a ship in a suite so she can have a great week and not have to deal with the issues of everyday life - and that includes always dealing with crowds which the suites provide the ability to avoid in many instances. Our relatives ask "where are you going on your cruise" and she says "I don't know - some islands that we've probably already been to". To be completely honest, I'm just about to that point.

Howard

Exactly. We cruise to relax, have fun, not have to go to the store and buy food, not have to work, to relax. Ports? Great. We stay on the ship sometimes....I am looking forward to my cruise vacations....and that is what they are - vacations from having to do stuff

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatWag viewpost.gif

And truthfully, sometimes you can experience issues in the suites. After our Jewel cruise, we waited for our car service next to two couples who had been in the Courtyard Villas. They had a rough experience this trip.

There was a group of six women traveling together in one villa. So at least one of the younger women slept out in the Courtyard instead of in a room. And instead of using the shower, she went into the Courtyard pool with her shampoo and soap.

Then, one of the woman we spoke to went out into the courtyard heading for the exercise equipment and found one of the six women lying drunk on a lounger totally nude.

Both of these couples we spoke to said they have been in the Courtyard Villas at least four times in the past and had never had an experience like this. But can you imagine if you had saved a whole extra year to be in a Courtyard Villa and then had this experience? You just never know.

I don't even know what to say. :eek:

Have to say that last year we took the Owners Suite on the Dawn. We have been bitten by the suite bug, and don't expect to ever go back.

We feel that the cost for a full suite is reasonable in the benefits and how we felt it added to our vacation experience.

If at all possible, we will try to only book PH or better suites and probably only on NCL. I have heard and believe, they run the best suite service at sea.

Hope you have as wonderful, personal, and intimate an experience as we had.

Allison and Mike

Our first cruises were on DCL in the Navigators Verandah - by no means a small cabin. After that we've always been in a suite and probably wouldn't go back to anything less on any cruiseline.

For us, when on vacation, we like to relax and not always be out and in the thick of things with lots of people, come back and hang out in the cabin and not be cramped. The cabin itself is a good part of what defines the cruise vacation for us. Totally opposite from others who post "well, all we do is sleep in the cabin, so it could be the smallest inside on the ship for all I care". Regardless of the cruiseline, the suites provide us with amenities, which again make the vacation enjoyable for us and memorable. That might be the huge wraparound balcony on Carnival, or a concierge on RCL who gets us tickets to an ice show when there are none available, guaranteed dinner seating. On NCL a huge bathroom/shower/tub in the AB suite, a butler/concierge who makes sure that there is never a need to call the front-desk and that every possible need is met immediately, getting us copies of the dinner menus for every night on the first day so we know if/when we'd prefer not to go to the main dining room, coming to pick up our pool towels after the return booth has closed and not lose our deposit. Maybe it's big things or small/minor ones, but funny as it seems, those are what I remember as opposed to others who have experienced problems for big or minor issues and those become what they remember years later and are always posting/complaining about.

My wife's gotten to the point of not even really caring about the destination - just get her on a ship in a suite so she can have a great week and not have to deal with the issues of everyday life - and that includes always dealing with crowds which the suites provide the ability to avoid in many instances. Our relatives ask "where are you going on your cruise" and she says "I don't know - some islands that we've probably already been to". To be completely honest, I'm just about to that point.

I don't knock anyone for not cruising in a suite, whether that be because they can't afford it or would prefer to spend less and cruise more often, have no need for a larger cabin or the amenities, or any other reason. For us, we've quickly learned that the suite and the perks it brings along is an important part of what makes the cruise memorable.

To each his own. It's good that the cruiselines provide a wide range of offerings and options to cater to those with different preferences - or give them the ability to experience something they may not have the ability to experience otherwise.

Howard

Exactly!!!!--You said everything I thought, but I just didn't get it down in words--thanks Howard!!

Breakfast and Lunch at Cagneys is nice too. Although my DH prefers the selections up at the Buffet.

While having breakfast or lunch in Cagneys, the waitstaff are more than happy to bring you anything you want. If it is in the buffet they will get it for you, no problem. I have made those requests many times.

While having breakfast or lunch in Cagneys, the waitstaff are more than happy to bring you anything you want. If it is in the buffet they will get it for you, no problem. I have made those requests many times.

It never dawned on me to ask. Good to know.

I love the suite breakfast mostly for the relaxed atmosphere, food is second.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their comments. It was a good and informative debate!

Everyone makes some good points. As for the drunken cat fight, I'd just pretend it's part of the on-board entertainment! :)

We've talked it out and decided that, in the end, our original thoughts stick. We love cruising to much to not go when we can. Waiting a year, not a real option.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and perspectives. It's why I like this board!

It never dawned on me to ask. Good to know.

I love the suite breakfast mostly for the relaxed atmosphere, food is second.

I love the chilled soups for breakfast--once our Butler found out how much I enjoyed them--he would always bring some and leave it in our frig. I also had an order brought to me for an appetizer when we dinned in Cagneys. The waiter was more than happy to run down to the main kitchen and get me some. It never hurts to ask--they can just say No, but if it's a yes--a Big tip is always appreciated!

We have been in Aft Suites for our last 3 cruises, and totally loved the experience. Breakfast/lunch at Cagneys, afternoon snacks of our choice, dinners from specialty restaurants served in cabin, what's not to love. However, for our next booked cruise in Sept 2012, we are in an outside cabin. I simply could not justify the additional $7000+ for a suite. We are going on the 14 day Sun cruise to Norway, Iceland, Scotland and Ireland, so even decided that a balcony cabin would probably not get much use that far north. I will miss the perks, but I know that I will still receive great service and have a fabulous cruise.

Lisa

I can only comment on NCL suites but since we've booked our first suite, we haven't looked back!

Some things are tangible and you can put a value to them. Others are not. For example the suite guests were allowed to tour the bridge while on the Jewel. We were also given backdoor access to the chocolate buffet 20 minutes prior to allowing the other guests in. Having priority tendering to NCL's private island allowed us an excellent spot on the beach (including having lounges). On the cruise we just returned from, my son and I were given a behind the scenes tour of all the kitchen areas by the Executive Chef. We made the request and they accommodated. These are things that may not have a monetary value but are definitely worth something. Of course it depends on what you like and desire as well.

Having access to the Courtyard is great. In total there are maybe 100 guests on average that have access to this area. 3000 guests on board and 100 have their own hot-tub. small pool and patio furniture. By the way, these are open as long as someone is using them. The general pools are closed at night regardless. If you're swimming in the courtyard pool, they won't close it until you're finished. The water is also fresh and not (ocean) salt water as in the general pools. I imagine that may make a difference to some people. They also have a treadmill and stationary bike so you don't have to go to the "big" gym. This whole area has a retractable roof. So while its too cold to swim in the other pools, the courtyard pool is nice.

Having a quality coffee machine in your suite is a bonus in my opinion. I have heard some rooms don't even have coffee makers. We've had both "grind the beans" and pod style and the coffee/espresso/cappuccinos are great.

If you think you don't have enough room in a regular cabin, this isn't the case with a suite. Much more space, for you and your clothes. Two can easily fit in the shower.;)

You will get orderves every day and fresh fruit. Yes some of this may be available in the buffet but its nice not always having to go to the buffet if you just want nibble before dinner.

You get treated differently while on board. At least that is my perception. It seems that staff who know you are in a suite provide better service. This may be coincidental but I don't think so based on my experiences.

The list does go on. Is it worth waiting. In my opinion, yes. It's like anything you might be considering purchasing. Would you wait an extra couple of months to buy the "larger" big screen TV or settle with the smaller and be kicking yourself during the big game.

The easiest thing is try a suite once and see for yourself if it's worth the value. If it's not, just go back to an inside cabin.....if you can.

I can only comment on NCL suites but since we've booked our first suite, we haven't looked back!

Some things are tangible and you can put a value to them. Others are not. For example the suite guests were allowed to tour the bridge while on the Jewel. We were also given backdoor access to the chocolate buffet 20 minutes prior to allowing the other guests in. Having priority tendering to NCL's private island allowed us an excellent spot on the beach (including having lounges). On the cruise we just returned from, my son and I were given a behind the scenes tour of all the kitchen areas by the Executive Chef. We made the request and they accommodated. These are things that may not have a monetary value but are definitely worth something. Of course it depends on what you like and desire as well.

Having access to the Courtyard is great. In total there are maybe 100 guests on average that have access to this area. 3000 guests on board and 100 have their own hot-tub. small pool and patio furniture. By the way, these are open as long as someone is using them. The general pools are closed at night regardless. If you're swimming in the courtyard pool, they won't close it until you're finished. The water is also fresh and not (ocean) salt water as in the general pools. I imagine that may make a difference to some people. They also have a treadmill and stationary bike so you don't have to go to the "big" gym. This whole area has a retractable roof. So while its too cold to swim in the other pools, the courtyard pool is nice.

Having a quality coffee machine in your suite is a bonus in my opinion. I have heard some rooms don't even have coffee makers. We've had both "grind the beans" and pod style and the coffee/espresso/cappuccinos are great.

If you think you don't have enough room in a regular cabin, this isn't the case with a suite. Much more space, for you and your clothes. Two can easily fit in the shower.;)

You will get orderves every day and fresh fruit. Yes some of this may be available in the buffet but its nice not always having to go to the buffet if you just want nibble before dinner.

You get treated differently while on board. At least that is my perception. It seems that staff who know you are in a suite provide better service. This may be coincidental but I don't think so based on my experiences.

The list does go on. Is it worth waiting. In my opinion, yes. It's like anything you might be considering purchasing. Would you wait an extra couple of months to buy the "larger" big screen TV or settle with the smaller and be kicking yourself during the big game.

The easiest thing is try a suite once and see for yourself if it's worth the value. If it's not, just go back to an inside cabin.....if you can.

Just to add..... some of these may have been extended to you because you were in a Courtyard level suite. We just got off the 5/10 Jewel cruise. We were not offered a bridge tour nor were we offered the opportunity to go into the chocoholic buffet early. We were in an Aft Suite (What used to be called a Romance Suite). Perhaps those in Courtyard suites were offered those perks and they were not extended to the "lesser" suites?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatWag viewpost.gif

I don't even know what to say. :eek:

It wasn't to be believed. But I do believe, they were warned ...

And, hi :) Long time no talk to :)

You will get orderves every day and fresh fruit. Yes some of this may be available in the buffet but its nice not always having to go to the buffet if you just want nibble before dinner

Do the serving staff (bartenders/waiter/waitress/) and other staff know that you are in a suite? Do you get a different color room key, or a way for them to know?

Do the serving staff (bartenders/waiter/waitress/) and other staff know that you are in a suite? Do you get a different color room key, or a way for them to know?

Good question. I always thought the different color of the room key had to do with latitudes level.

Good question. I always thought the different color of the room key had to do with latitudes level.

The color of your key is completely random, but your Latitudes level is printed on the key.

Penthouse Suites get silver keys.

Does the Garden Villa get a different color key?

PE

The color of your key is completely random' date=' but your Latitudes level is printed on the key.[/color']

PE

GV gets silver too.:D

The color of your key is completely random' date=' but your Latitudes level is printed on the key.

PE[/color']

I thought color had to do with level as mine was always magenta, though David's green. Then I got zapped with "de-magnetization" and got green. Pfffft, what a put down ;):)

The color of your key is completely random' date=' but your Latitudes level is printed on the key.[/color']

PE

GV gets silver too.:D

Gee wonder why we had a couple of passengers sitting in the big section with us in the terminal with silver keys then, instead of in the suite lounge. Very odd. (and no they didn't appear to be traveling with anyone else). There was about 3 different couples I seen with silver keys. Thats why I just assumed it had to do with latitudes.

Thanks for clarifying

We just got back from a Garden Villa cruise. The keys are same color as in the other suites we've stayed in. All silver as previously stated. The Latitude level is indicated on the card as well (as previously stated). The cards seem to be different in some other way as well. We had trouble with our cards many times on this trip. In one instance the Maitre'd had to call the Concierge to get new cards as he could not rectify the problem because they were "special" cards. It sounds as though he didn't have the access or authority to replace the cards??? We were only trying to settle our tab at one of the specialty restaurants.

If you purchase something, staff can see the color of your card which indicates a suite. Then when they swipe the card, I believe the room number shows up. Most of the restaurants ask for your room number just before being seated as well. We always try to keep a low profile when it comes to our room type. I wait my turn just like anyone else on the ship....well like most passengers.

You know...people lambaste us for our past but it seems like people still want someone to wait on them.

It seems to me that no matter what cabin category one is in, they are being waited on. For many people, this is one of the best things about cruising.

I hope sincerely you are not comparing a service employee to a slave for goodness sake. :rolleyes:

Yes we stayed in a Courtyard Villa. Adrian was our Concierge while on the Jewel. Everyday, it seemed we received a note from him regarding "special" accesses or activities. I'm not sure if it has to do with the ship, the Concierge, the number of people on board or what. We just got off the GEM and had to ask for early entry into the chocolate buffet. Ryan had already lined up a few other guests for this. They deemed it wasn't as much of a perk because of the way they allowed general access into the buffet verses the way it was handled on the Jewel. After going through both, I almost agree. Certainly would be better if they were more consistent though.

Yes we stayed in a Courtyard Villa. Adrian was our Concierge while on the Jewel. Everyday, it seemed we received a note from him regarding "special" accesses or activities. I'm not sure if it has to do with the ship, the Concierge, the number of people on board or what. We just got off the GEM and had to ask for early entry into the chocolate buffet. Ryan had already lined up a few other guests for this. They deemed it wasn't as much of a perk because of the way they allowed general access into the buffet verses the way it was handled on the Jewel. After going through both, I almost agree. Certainly would be better if they were more consistent though.

On Jewel I am guessing it was your Courtyard Villa status? We had same Concierge and ship but did not receive the notes about "special" accesses or activities. Based on this most recent trip I am thinking probably best to book Courtyard or up on ships that have that level. Seemed to be a very clear difference in perks over and above the obvious, the Courtyard itself. Good to know for future trips.

Archived