Are suites worth it?

OttawaJohn

Sorry..yet another quetion re: cabins...with they were more exact in their decription!

What is the difference between the Family minis on the Epic and the mini suites that still sleep up to 4? Just the location?

Sorry if some took the above response wrong. It was just a discussion meant to share some information. I did not suggest or use the word "search" at all. Just sharing information.

On a related note, when somebody asks a question that is already being discussed on the FIRST page of postings, that does get silly. That was not the case in this situation.

I will totally agree with that thought as long as the subject title reflects what it is you are looking for. Some titles such as what happens, addiction, still looking really don't say what information you might find, although if you have the time, can be very informative at times. A lot of "new to NCL" or "NCL vs (whatever line) that some can get pretty long and a lot of reading if you are look for just a specific question answered.

I really wasn't flaming you just making an observation that that statement can be taken perhaps not the way it is meant. As I said look at post #35 where the OP felt the need to apologize twice.

We always sail in a suite because we DO use our cabin. I agree all Carnival gives you is a large cabin. We don't like Carnival so will not cruise it again so it doesn't matter. We like the free laundry and internet on HAL and Princess. We are booked on our first NCL in a suite. We always order room service for breakfast. Lunch is either around the pool, room service, or on shore. Cagney's is of no value to us. We will give NCL a try but I am struggling to see the great "perks".

For me it is all about the Courtyard area. If the suite does not have courtyard access, I won't splurge. We never need the butler and although Cagneys lunch and breakfast is a great feature, we only use it once or twice during the week.

Yes the courtyard area is a perk above the starting suites which is what the OP was questioning in his/her cost scenerio. This would be one area that would make me more seriously think cost vs yearly vacation. But if you add the extra to the equation of the OPs. The question would be vacation once every 3 years or once a year in a balcony.

We are booked on our first NCL in a suite. We always order room service for breakfast. Lunch is either around the pool, room service, or on shore. Cagney's is of no value to us. We will give NCL a try but I am struggling to see the great "perks".

If you've never cruised on NCL previously, how do you know Cagney's is of no value to you...unless you've tried? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

For lunch, if you were considering around the pool, room service (having already had room service for breakfast) or Cagney's I'd choose Cagney's. Similarly for breakfast, unless you always have breakfast through room service and that's just what you do.

You can also go to Cagney's immediately on embarkation day - others will be crowding the buffet. Cagney's is nice, quiet, exceptional food and exceptional service. It's a perk - you should try it immediately on embarkation to at least know what you won't be taking advantage of.

Howard

We always sail in a suite because we DO use our cabin. I agree all Carnival gives you is a large cabin. We don't like Carnival so will not cruise it again so it doesn't matter. We like the free laundry and internet on HAL and Princess. We are booked on our first NCL in a suite. We always order room service for breakfast. Lunch is either around the pool, room service, or on shore. Cagney's is of no value to us. We will give NCL a try but I am struggling to see the great "perks".

I can't disagree with you on where you wish to eat, since I love to do room service instead of going to a restaurant in hotels (as long as they have a decent room service menu). Nor can I give any input in your reference to HAL or Princess (never sailed them). Nor have I ever sailed a suite.

But if sailing NCL and those are your choices on where to eat, then the suite is the way to go since it gives you far more room service food options than the average cabin does (my opinion - room service options in a regular cabin are far too limited). So I think you may enjoy that part of the suite options.

If you read through the posts or go to the NCL suite perks area you will get the physical description of the perks. But what I've taken away from the ones that love the "suite life" on this thread is the greatest thing about a suite is the feeling of being pampered.

If you've never cruised on NCL previously, how do you know Cagney's is of no value to you...unless you've tried? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

For lunch, if you were considering around the pool, room service (having already had room service for breakfast) or Cagney's I'd choose Cagney's. Similarly for breakfast, unless you always have breakfast through room service and that's just what you do.

You can also go to Cagney's immediately on embarkation day - others will be crowding the buffet. Cagney's is nice, quiet, exceptional food and exceptional service. It's a perk - you should try it immediately on embarkation to at least know what you won't be taking advantage of.

Howard

I took it the poster meant they did not really like to eat in restaurants but preferred to eat in their cabin or by the pool.

"I'd choose Cagneys" I may be wrong as I have never stayed in a suite but I was under the impression you could order from Cagneys for lunch in your cabin.

Not everyone will go to the buffet on embarkation day, one main diningroom is open and the ships we were on very quiet.

Is it worth waiting another year to sail to do it in a suite, rather than a standard balcony?

Are the perks you get really worth that?

My husband and I have only done 1 cruise and we had a penthouse suite on POA. The suite was fabulous and I believe they are worth the extra money but if it meant delaying our holiday to save for a suite we wouldn’t do it. I believe regular holidays are more important for your own wellbeing than the degree of luxury. If it meant I could cruise every year vs every second year, I would go for the cheaper cabin.

Bev

Dear John (OP),

I haven't made it to a suite yet so I guess my opinion is not really comparative, however, if I had to wait more than a year for a vacation it would certainly not be worth it just to get a suite.

We take at least 3 vacations a year, one is a cruise, we like adventure trips too. For now an inside or a balcony will do fine (can't be bothered with an outside - it would just make me want a balcony). When I get to the point (and hopefully I will) where a suite is affordable on my annual cruise, I will book one. I certainly don't think it would be worth putting off a vacation just so I could have a few extra perks.

It is a bit like the guy who drives a BMW then can't afford new tires. Either you are in that league or you are not. JMHO

Love the suites and these days that is what we book. But if we had to choose between more vacations and the suite, we'd go for the "more vacations" in a heartbeat.

Don't get me wrong, the suite perks are very nice and they definitely help "Make" your vacation. But I still would rather go more often. Life is too short to wait an extra year to cruise. :)

And truthfully, sometimes you can experience issues in the suites. After our Jewel cruise, we waited for our car service next to two couples who had been in the Courtyard Villas. They had a rough experience this trip.

There was a group of six women traveling together in one villa. So at least one of the younger women slept out in the Courtyard instead of in a room. And instead of using the shower, she went into the Courtyard pool with her shampoo and soap.

Then, one of the woman we spoke to went out into the courtyard heading for the exercise equipment and found one of the six women lying drunk on a lounger totally nude.

Both of these couples we spoke to said they have been in the Courtyard Villas at least four times in the past and had never had an experience like this. But can you imagine if you had saved a whole extra year to be in a Courtyard Villa and then had this experience? You just never know.

A hidden benefit to cruising more often in the cheaper cabins comes in the way of Lattitudes benefits. You reach platinum status much quicker, and with that comes free laundry, dinner for two with wine at Le Bistro, Behind the Scenes tour, priority tendering and disembarkation, etc. These things will offset many of the suite perks that you pay the extra price for !!

I've sailed in rooms from adjoining ocean view cabins on DCL to the second largest suite on the Vision of the Seas. While I love the extra room of a suite, to me it's about the destinations, meals, entertainment, etc...not getting waited on by a butler or concierge.

I've sailed in rooms from adjoining ocean view cabins on DCL to the second largest suite on the Vision of the Seas. While I love the extra room of a suite, to me it's about the destinations, meals, entertainment, etc...not getting waited on by a butler or concierge.

Our first cruises were on DCL in the Navigators Verandah - by no means a small cabin. After that we've always been in a suite and probably wouldn't go back to anything less on any cruiseline.

For us, when on vacation, we like to relax and not always be out and in the thick of things with lots of people, come back and hang out in the cabin and not be cramped. The cabin itself is a good part of what defines the cruise vacation for us. Totally opposite from others who post "well, all we do is sleep in the cabin, so it could be the smallest inside on the ship for all I care". Regardless of the cruiseline, the suites provide us with amenities, which again make the vacation enjoyable for us and memorable. That might be the huge wraparound balcony on Carnival, or a concierge on RCL who gets us tickets to an ice show when there are none available, guaranteed dinner seating. On NCL a huge bathroom/shower/tub in the AB suite, a butler/concierge who makes sure that there is never a need to call the front-desk and that every possible need is met immediately, getting us copies of the dinner menus for every night on the first day so we know if/when we'd prefer not to go to the main dining room, coming to pick up our pool towels after the return booth has closed and not lose our deposit. Maybe it's big things or small/minor ones, but funny as it seems, those are what I remember as opposed to others who have experienced problems for big or minor issues and those become what they remember years later and are always posting/complaining about.

My wife's gotten to the point of not even really caring about the destination - just get her on a ship in a suite so she can have a great week and not have to deal with the issues of everyday life - and that includes always dealing with crowds which the suites provide the ability to avoid in many instances. Our relatives ask "where are you going on your cruise" and she says "I don't know - some islands that we've probably already been to". To be completely honest, I'm just about to that point.

I don't knock anyone for not cruising in a suite, whether that be because they can't afford it or would prefer to spend less and cruise more often, have no need for a larger cabin or the amenities, or any other reason. For us, we've quickly learned that the suite and the perks it brings along is an important part of what makes the cruise memorable.

To each his own. It's good that the cruiselines provide a wide range of offerings and options to cater to those with different preferences - or give them the ability to experience something they may not have the ability to experience otherwise.

Howard

Howard, you really hit the nail on the head.

One poster one time poo-pooed the suite life saying "I don't need my hand held". I would never question someone's choice on how to choose to cruise, but sometimes suite cruisers are judged. (I've read of nasty remarks being made on the elevator to the courtyard level.)

We all have our own reasons for what we choose and how we want to cruise and reconcile to our own pocketbooks. I have friends who are much better off than me who cruise often in non-suite and I prefer to cruise less in an NCL suite. That doesn't mean I won't squeeze in a land vaca getaway in between cruises. It's all about choice. Isn't it wonderful we aren't all alike?

I took it the poster meant they did not really like to eat in restaurants but preferred to eat in their cabin or by the pool.

"I'd choose Cagneys" I may be wrong as I have never stayed in a suite but I was under the impression you could order from Cagneys for lunch in your cabin.

Not everyone will go to the buffet on embarkation day, one main diningroom is open and the ships we were on very quiet.

Thank you! You did understand correctly. We do not want to have to dress for breakfast or lunch. Breakfast is in pjs and lunch, if we are onboard, is in swimwear. We do appreciate the option of being able to order room service from a larger menu. Hopefully we can order room service to be delivered to the pool. We do not need a butler and several days we will have the room steward only change the towels. Making my bed every morning is a habit. We chose the cruise for the ports and to try NCL. We have been to all but one port but have one last thing we want to do in each port. We will do our own thing and not take any shore tours so do not need a concierge. And if we do not eat in Cagney's, I assume we will never see the concierge. We do not need to be "pampered". We book a suite for the extra space and dining room table. We will use the internet as a way to keep in touch with home so free internet is a perk we would enjoy. For those of you who book a suite for the smaller dining room and pampered service, I would suggest trying a luxury cruise line. When you compare suite to suite pricing, they are very comparable. They are also non-tipping. We do cruise on luxury lines. As I said, we booked this cruise because of the ports and to try NCL. One of the things we like about luxury lines is the open dining. "Free-style dining" on NCL is a plus for us. Our cruise is in 18 months so I will continue lurking on cc to learn more about NCL.

We book a suite for the extra space and dining room table. We will use the internet as a way to keep in touch with home so free internet is a perk we would enjoy. For those of you who book a suite for the smaller dining room and pampered service, I would suggest trying a luxury cruise line. When you compare suite to suite pricing, they are very comparable. They are also non-tipping. We do cruise on luxury lines. As I said, we booked this cruise because of the ports and to try NCL. One of the things we like about luxury lines is the open dining. "Free-style dining" on NCL is a plus for us. Our cruise is in 18 months so I will continue lurking on cc to learn more about NCL.

The extra space is not important for us. We like the standard balcony rooms with sideview much more than the penthouses with aftview.

Our number one reason to book a suite is the special breakfast and lunch and we love to be pampered but not all the time. We should probably love to cruise on a luxury cruise line but feel that we get more for our money in a suite on NCL. None of the luxury cruise lines have the same variation in restaurants as NCL and all NCL ships have more bars than all luxury cruise lines ships. We should prefer that NCL was a little more formal, at least in one of their restaurants, but do think that the luxury cruise lines are a little too formal for us.

My wife's gotten to the point of not even really caring about the destination - just get her on a ship in a suite so she can have a great week and not have to deal with the issues of everyday life - and that includes always dealing with crowds which the suites provide the ability to avoid in many instances. Our relatives ask "where are you going on your cruise" and she says "I don't know - some islands that we've probably already been to". To be completely honest, I'm just about to that point.

That's me in a nutshell. I rarely get off the ship and in the last five years or so all I care about is the suite. It's my total shut-down time in heaven!

Howard, what you said goes for me too! But a lot of people don't get that because they find the crowds to be exciting and energizing. I find them exhausting and frustrating. On the plus side, I never have an issue with the chair hogs because you won't find me around the pools, except possibly at a table when getting a quick bite to eat.

We will use the internet as a way to keep in touch with home so free internet is a perk we would enjoy.

Free internet on NCL for suites???? Some lines have this but I've never had it on NCL.

Love the suites and these days that is what we book. But if we had to choose between more vacations and the suite, we'd go for the "more vacations" in a heartbeat.

Don't get me wrong, the suite perks are very nice and they definitely help "Make" your vacation. But I still would rather go more often. Life is too short to wait an extra year to cruise. :)

And truthfully, sometimes you can experience issues in the suites. After our Jewel cruise, we waited for our car service next to two couples who had been in the Courtyard Villas. They had a rough experience this trip.

There was a group of six women traveling together in one villa. So at least one of the younger women slept out in the Courtyard instead of in a room. And instead of using the shower, she went into the Courtyard pool with her shampoo and soap.

Then, one of the woman we spoke to went out into the courtyard heading for the exercise equipment and found one of the six women lying drunk on a lounger totally nude.

Both of these couples we spoke to said they have been in the Courtyard Villas at least four times in the past and had never had an experience like this. But can you imagine if you had saved a whole extra year to be in a Courtyard Villa and then had this experience? You just never know.

Weren't they the bunch ! :eek:

Free internet on NCL for suites???? Some lines have this but I've never had it on NCL.

Sorry for the confusion. Free internet is NOT a suite perk on NCL but I wish it was. I would trade Cagney's for free internet.

Weren't they the bunch ! :eek:

I'll say. We were in Le Bistro the night they had their cat fight.....interesting folks.......

You never know what you will find onboard. OP - whatever you decide about booking a suite, hope you have an amazing vacation.

I'll say. We were in Le Bistro the night they had their cat fight.....interesting folks.......

You never know what you will find onboard. OP - whatever you decide about booking a suite, hope you have an amazing vacation.

OOOOOOOooooooooh - makes for a yummy dining experience.:eek:

I'm curious what you all think.

Though not rich by any extent, a suite isn't beyond the capacity of my wife and I to afford. But it would take an extra year of saving for the cruise to handle.

It seems, on the standard cruises we do, we can get a balcony for about a thousand each. A family suite would be 2000 each, and a penthouse suite hitting 2800 each.

Obviously, prices vary, but in general, it's going to be twice as expensive or more to do a suite as to a balcony.

So, is it worth it?

Is it worth waiting another year to sail to do it in a suite, rather than a standard balcony?

Are the perks you get really worth that?

Sure, if you have the cash to do it, why not? But if it's something you need to save for, would you?

As far as I can see, room benefits aside, you get a butler, nicer service and onto the boat faster? Is that about it?

I know there are dozens of tangible and intangible benefits, but really, doesn't it come down to they make your trip better?

As someone who's not had bad service on our cruises so far, just not sure what really the benefit would be.

Thoughts?

There are different reasons for getting a "Suite", some like the "perks", some like the exclusivity, some like the space and some like a combination of all of the above. :D

We just got off the Norwegian Gem yesterday morning, it was another WONDEFULL CRUISE!!! sHa_thumbsup.gif

And, as usual we were in a "Suite". An "AB" or actually the new letters are "SC". This was our sixth time in an "SC". We ALWAYS stay in an "SC" because of the extra little bedroom and bathroom. It gives our teenage daughter privacy and her own space.

We have never been in a non suite cabin, on our first cruise in 2005 we were upselled from an "AF" to an "AB". And from the MOMENT we walked into Cabin #11020 on the Norwegian Dawn in April 2005, we have NEVER booked less.

WE WERE HOOKED!!! The extra space is fANTASTIC!!! You can stretch out, there is a small table with four chairs, a big sofa, two chairs, a fabulous Master Bathroom, a cozy bedroom, and that extra little bedroom and bath, plus a balcony!!! It is a PERFECT SPACE!!! sHa_thumbsup.gif

I think that for us it is a combination of things, but, the space is what we like the best. I have been a guest in other smaller cabins and I was a bit claustrophobic. (although a bunch of years ago I was in a Quad cabin on the Voyager of the Seas and found it to be quite livable and OK).

For us, it IS worth the added expense to have a larger cabin. Every time I used my BEAUTIFULL Bathroom last week on the Gem, I was so happy. sHa_veryhappy.gif My bathroom at home is so small and NOT as pretty or nice.

The "perks" are nice too. Our favorite being the priority boarding at embarkation. Breakfast and Lunch at Cagneys is nice too. Although my DH prefers the selections up at the Buffet. eat-drink-smiley-542.gif

We don't use the services of the Concierge, we don't dine in the "Speciality Restaurants" and we don't really use our Butler.

On the Gem cruise that ended yesterday, I did not tip the Concierge, we just chatted briefly a few times during the week and I gave our Butler $40.00. I mentioned how we loved strawberries dipped in chocolate and he brought them every day and some things that were not quite right in our cabin he had fixed immediately, plus he was very pleasant.

So, for us, on this cruise, it was not a huge extra expense. I would imagine that if you entertained in your cabin and made reservations at the various restaurants, your tips would add up.

Don't forget the $12 per person, per day that is charged to your account for the Service Charge. (Concierge and Butlers do NOT get a piece of that pie)

We cruise only once a year, so, the added expense for a Suite is OK. Maybe we would think twice if we cruised more often. I use all the web sites I can to get the best deal I can on the cruise I want.

You also have to stick to what you can afford. Getting a Suite can add anywhere from $1,000 to MANY THOUSANDS of dollars to the cost of your vacation. If you can afford a "Suite" without having to borrow or go into debt and you don't take from your kids college fund, GO FOR IT!!! :D

Archived