Are suites worth it?

OttawaJohn

My Wife and I cruised on the Jade in March in a balcony (previously had a window on the Gem). My Son and his friend had booked a mini-suite, which is a slightly larger balcony, but were offered an upsell to a suite facing aft.

My Wife and I paid $900 each for our balcony. My Son's original mini-suite was about $1250 and with the upsell, up to $1500 each. We visited them in the suite, and did have a couple of meals with then at Cagney's (NCL let us in when it wasn't crowded).

In my opinion, paying more than a thousand dollars more for the suite, and that was because of the upsell was not worth it. We didn't spend a lot of time in our cabin. Eating at Cagney's was good, but we got the same eggs benedict at a the MDR.

Our next NCL, we did book an aft-balcony on the Epic. The one thing that I liked was facing aft.

I'm curious what you all think.

Though not rich by any extent, a suite isn't beyond the capacity of my wife and I to afford. But it would take an extra year of saving for the cruise to handle.

It seems, on the standard cruises we do, we can get a balcony for about a thousand each. A family suite would be 2000 each, and a penthouse suite hitting 2800 each.

Obviously, prices vary, but in general, it's going to be twice as expensive or more to do a suite as to a balcony.

So, is it worth it?

Is it worth waiting another year to sail to do it in a suite, rather than a standard balcony?

Are the perks you get really worth that?

Sure, if you have the cash to do it, why not? But if it's something you need to save for, would you?

As far as I can see, room benefits aside, you get a butler, nicer service and onto the boat faster? Is that about it?

I know there are dozens of tangible and intangible benefits, but really, doesn't it come down to they make your trip better?

As someone who's not had bad service on our cruises so far, just not sure what really the benefit would be.

Thoughts?

I think the "worth" is up to the individual. We started in a regular balcony, went to a mini then tried a suite. The suite room was nice - larger - loved the balcony (deck 10 :D) but the perks.. worth it? well when we tried the suite life, it was only 600 (total) than the balcony we originally booked so we went for the upgrade (not via the fairy). For our last cruise and the next the suite was 3K more... worth that difference - to us - no way. We never used the concierge and only called the butler once or twice and DH really did not like Cagneys at all. We just want to relax in the spa, sip a drink on the balcony, experience some new destinations and be with each other, so for us, we would rather cruise more often in a reg balcony if the price difference is that much.

So ask yourself, what do you want from the cruise. Do you want to have someone to pamper you? Will you have the breakfast in bed and eat your dinners in your room? Do you want to sit in the special section for the shows? How much time do you plan to spend in your room? Do you want to leave the ship on someone elses schedule? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, then you may want to consider waiting and going with the suite. It really depends on what you want from your vacation.

For our family of 4, a suite is the only way to go... The extra perks make our cruise experience so much nicer. That said, when it's just DH and I, we typically book a balcony. However, we miss the perks of a suite, big time! That doesn't mean we don't enjoy the cruise when we're not in a suite. It just means that we feel a small sense of loss without the perks we get with the suite.

For you, is it "worth it?" Only you can answer that. For us, we'd wait the year to save up.

So I just came back from a balcony cabin on the Epic. I loved it. I do use the room alot. I like some privacy and I adore looking out over the ocean. After we got back...I went a bit crazy and booked another cruise just 5 months later.

The price point allowed us to get Penthouse Balcony Suite. I really wanted to try it. But the deciding factor was a special. We couldn't afford it otherwise. It is definitely something I want to try. But personally I would shop around and find a way to get the suite at a more comfortable price.

Either way, enjoy yourself and live the good life!!

We love the space of a suite and always seem to land up inviting friends for a party or two while on our cruises. We have been on three that where over Halloween. Nothing like asking our Butler to help us arrange for one with people from our roll call. One time we had 18---on the Sun and it was the most fun everyone in costumes, had hors d'oeuvre's and drinks before we all went to dinner together.

We can only cruise once or twice a year and really enjoy the suites. Like most everyone else has said YOU can only be the one to decide if it's worth it or not. Just be forewarned---it's terrible addiciting!!!:eek:

IMHO NCL has the best of the suite life!!

We also started with an oceanview then to balcony, then the last cruise we had booked an AE because with the baby we thought it would be easier. My brother and his family had booked an AB and a week before the cruise we noticed there was a GV that was open. We contacted NCL and were able to combine the cabins and the price point was do-able, so off we went. I can never picture cruising in anything less than a suite, and we are planning a family cruise in 2012 and looking to book another GV. Just be careful it is hard to go back.

-Michelle

I'm curious what you all think.

Though not rich by any extent, a suite isn't beyond the capacity of my wife and I to afford. But it would take an extra year of saving for the cruise to handle.

It seems, on the standard cruises we do, we can get a balcony for about a thousand each. A family suite would be 2000 each, and a penthouse suite hitting 2800 each.

Maybe the question you should be asking yourself is why is it costing you so much, if you plan ahead and watch the prices you can get into a penthouse suite for considerably less than 2800 each.

I booked a Sept cruise on the Gem this year for $1599 pp less $300 Amex OBC and a $150 OBC for the sail away promo that was running at the time, all in that amounts to $1374 pp

Seems like every two weeks, this same question gets asked, in one form or another.

And, there are a high number of people that say it is surely worth it. Go for it is a common response.

Yet, in real life, only a small percent believe it is worth it. After all, 95% of the people book smaller cabins, week after week, year after year.

You can get a full suite if you want it, but people seem to pass over it.

Oddly, garycarla, the same questions get asked over and over. :rolleyes:

But, then again, lots of people just don't have the time to spend searching the boards as we seem to have in answering their questions, which we, ourselves, once had :)

Apologies for asking a question that had been covered before. I did a search and found several threads discussiing what was in the suites and the perks, but not a lot on if it was worth it.

Probably missed them, didn't do a real indepth search.

Pendragoncruising, you made a good point, and doing more searching on NCL I found some good deals for suites. On the cruises I did before, and I've researched before, the suites were all much higher. Think I need to shop more carefully :)

Again, my apologies for posting something covered before.

Thanks though to everyone for their responses.

Don't do it!! I'm serious, you will feel deprived for every other cruise. ;) We had OS on Sky and the following year booked an AD/SF for Alaska. Spoiled. Had a balcony on the Sky the following year and kept thinking we should be eating in Cagneys. Oh, we still had a good time and the concierge remembered us and sent treats but it just wasn't the same.

Booked the top suite on Carnival and while it was good and great attention from all the staff, still not the same. If you are happy with the balcony cabins and eating at the dining room and Lido for lunch and breakfast then stay with it. We only upgraded because of an email but now we can never go back... :(

Don't do it.

Once you've cruised in a suite, you won't want to cruise any other way. This is across the board on any cruiseline, except perhaps Carnival (they have minimal suite perks, but the room and the wrap around balcony were worth it).

Seems like every two weeks, this same question gets asked, in one form or another.

Wow! Is there another form of question you would prefer newbies to ask? I'm sure with 11000+ post you have probably seen this question 1000's of times, not everyone has. Since the OP only has 55 posts in 7 months, I really don't think he has overburdened anyone with a lot of "repeat" questions. If you want my honest opinion, I love CC but think their search feature sucks. I certainly have the time to search but 3/4 of the time can't find the exact answer I am looking for. My new thing is to search it through google and look for the CC's posts (I have a lot more luck finding exactly what I'm looking for, although sometimes quite dated).

It is this kind of reply that had me wait 2 years to start posting questions on here. In my experience the short time I've been on here, long time CCers (you included) can be extremely helpful to new cruisers or new to NCL . But sometimes they seem to have days when they come across impatient to be asked something they have answered many times before. The unfortunate part is that new CCers don't know it's been asked many times before. So you end up with post #35 the OP applogizing for asking a repeat question, which to me translates to "sorry I bothered you with my question"

Sorry but this just hit a nerve, as this has been done to me a couple of times (I don't think by you), but by long time CCers. When I have innocently asked something I was curious about or wanted an answer.

Wow! Is there another form of question you would prefer newbies to ask? I'm sure with 11000+ post you have probably seen this question 1000's of times, not everyone has. Since the OP only has 55 posts in 7 months, I really don't think he has overburdened anyone with a lot of "repeat" questions. If you want my honest opinion, I love CC but think their search feature sucks. I certainly have the time to search but 3/4 of the time can't find the exact answer I am looking for. My new thing is to search it through google and look for the CC's posts (I have a lot more luck finding exactly what I'm looking for, although sometimes quite dated).

It is this kind of reply that had me wait 2 years to start posting questions on here. In my experience the short time I've been on here, long time CCers (you included) can be extremely helpful to new cruisers or new to NCL . But sometimes they seem to have days when they come across impatient to be asked something they have answered many times before. The unfortunate part is that new CCers don't know it's been asked many times before. So you end up with post #35 the OP applogizing for asking a repeat question, which to me translates to "sorry I bothered you with my question"

Sorry but this just hit a nerve, as this has been done to me a couple of times (I don't think by you), but by long time CCers. When I have innocently asked something I was curious about or wanted an answer.

You mad bro?

Kudos!!!

I read this board religiously since I am a somewhat newbie cruiser and will be new to NCL in March 2012. CCer's are an excellent source of information but I do find that some posters can be quite snarky at times...and this is NOT just relegated to the NCL board! I have searched and searched some topics and was unable to find an answer and didn't feel like I should ask it on the board for fear I would be "chastised"! But I'm getting better now!!!!:cool:

Are the suites worth it? Only you can answer that. It depends on your situation and what you want to get out of the cruise.

Some people are very content in inside cabins because they feel they don't spend enough time in the cabin to pay more for anything else. Others absolutely have to have a balcony. While others enjoy the suite life and the perks that go with it. Many feel those perks are not worth the extra cost.

I enjoy the suite perks, but they come with a significant price over and above other cabins. If I had to make the decision to cruise more vs the price, I might choose to take a lesser cabin and cruise more. And at times I do choose the lesser cabin.

However, I have limited vacation days. So more and more often, I am choosing the suite over other cabins just to get the most out of my vacation, especially when I can afford to take a longer cruise. (Both financially and in vacation days.) I also buy the spa pass. The less crowded, more relaxed venues are what I need, especially given a job that can be very stressful at times. Plus, while I enjoy being around others, I don't enjoy crowds, so the suite perks and spa pass meet my needs. Others have different priorities.

K, good. You had me a little worried.

;) Just trying to make a point, not necessarily at garycarla but all the long time posters who sometimes seem to forget they were probably new once too and didn't know these things. As I said I think the search engine is extremely sensitive. Some people don't have days to read through pages of threads to find an answer. And anyone who truly is tired of the question (which I can imagine some are), really doesn't have to answer it.

Thats all I was saying.

My first NCL trip happens next week so I can not comment. I booked a suite this time because it fit my "bucket list", not my needs. In 2003 I heard of this suite and promised myself I would do it before I died. Garden Villa here I come.

You're about to eat your words when comparing to your prior suites/experience on other cruise lines.

Though the suites/service on RCL is very nice, NCL is many times better.

Even better, you get much more for your money with a suite on NCL when looked at in comparison to those other lines you mention.

As for what other people's thoughts are - it's a matter of priority and the experience you're looking for. There are many who fall in to the category of "just get me on the ship for the least amount of money". That's a valid stance. For those folks, if they could cruise twice or three times not being in a suite and get most of the same benefits by simply being on the ship, then that's enough. For us, the financial side of it is less of an issue and I consider the experience of having the suite a big part of our vacation/experience. No different than some folks who will go on very expensive excursions, or eat at the most expensive restaurants while on vacation. Personally, I don't value those things as highly (maybe an expensive excursion here and there), but for some people, those things are higher priority and important to them, and that's a valid position based on their values.

Howard

Everyone has to determine how to use their resources (time and money). For some the suite is a necessity to cruise and well worth it. For others it's not.

We're on an inside for our next cruise. A suite would be almost 5 times the cost we paid. The perks just wouldn't be worth it for us.

As far as being spoiled by better accommodations, we've sailed in OV's, balconies, mini-suites (really not a suite), aft balconies, and aft wraps. When a true bargain shows up we're on it:p But we know that for us it's a lucky treat and we enjoy the moment.

Good luck on your decision.

Charlie

First Cruise Honeymoon Inside couldn't afford anything else.

Second was an Oceanview ok better

Third was a balcony, Kewl but what is this suite thing?

Forth was a CTN (Inside don't count, in cabin maybe 4 hours)

Suite Life, kept reading on CC about it

Fifth will be balcony, kinda hooked on it

Okay I'll go with over a year and a half reservation so I can come up with the funds to try suite life on NCL in the lowest suite (SF now) and give it a try. Still coming up with the funds but his early they gave me a small OBC too. We are going to try it at least this once to see how it is.

Here's hoping its worth it.

Our first was an Oceanview, next a Balcony. We probably will stick with balconies in the future.

Mini's are just slightly larger balcony cabins.

Suites are large and have the perks, like some say here, if you want to be pampered a suite is the way to go. Frankly, we don't want to be pampered.

And, there are a high number of people that say it is surely worth it. Go for it is a common response....

Sorry if some took the above response wrong. It was just a discussion meant to share some information. I did not suggest or use the word "search" at all. Just sharing information.

On a related note, when somebody asks a question that is already being discussed on the FIRST page of postings, that does get silly. That was not the case in this situation.

Archived