Hiking at Mendenhal Glacier

Bebet

My ds who is 19 wants to hike up around the glaciers. Is it safe (bears?) up there. He will probably go with his sister. He said he found a 6 mile hike he thinks he wants to do. Will it likely be muddy? His dad and I want to do one of the ships excursions while they are hiking.

My ds who is 19 wants to hike up around the glaciers. Is it safe (bears?) up there. He will probably go with his sister. He said he found a 6 mile hike he thinks he wants to do. Will it likely be muddy? His dad and I want to do one of the ships excursions while they are hiking.

Which hike? The answers to your questions depend on the answer to mine!

In any case, bear sightings are always a possibility when hiking in Alaska. They just need to be "bear aware."

Depends on when you are going and which trails. If you can afford it, I highly recommend your kids go on a guided hike with Above and Beyond. It is a strenuous full day hike with walk on the glacier with crampons. We didn't do an ice climb, but wish we had time for it. It was easily the highlight of our trip.

Rock scramble

rockscramble.jpg

Walking on glacier

1306638446.jpg

Inside BLUE ice cave

1306638663.jpg

Depends on when you are going and which trails. If you can afford it, I highly recommend your kids go on a guided hike with Above and Beyond. It is a strenuous full day hike with walk on the glacier with crampons. We didn't do an ice climb, but wish we had time for it. It was easily the highlight of our trip.

I agree. Nothing will ruin your trip like a kid who takes a wrong turn on a trail and doesn't show up in time for the ship sailing.

"The hike to the glacier" almost certainly refers to the West Glacier Trail, the only trail route that actually gets close to the ice itself. It's about 7 miles out-and-back from the Skaters Cabin trailhead on the west side of Mendenhall Lake.

There's a good (unofficial) photo travelogue of the trail here: http://livingthejuneauadventure.blogspot.com/2010/05/west-glacier-trail.html - take note that the last couple of miles are unmaintained and involve a lot of rock-scrambling. Trying to get on the glacier itself without proper training and equipment is inadvisable. Bear spray would be cheap peace of mind.

"The hike to the glacier" almost certainly refers to the West Glacier Trail, the only trail route that actually gets close to the ice itself. It's about 7 miles out-and-back from the Skaters Cabin trailhead on the west side of Mendenhall Lake.

There's a good (unofficial) photo travelogue of the trail here: http://livingthejuneauadventure.blogspot.com/2010/05/west-glacier-trail.html - take note that the last couple of miles are unmaintained and involve a lot of rock-scrambling. Trying to get on the glacier itself without proper training and equipment is inadvisable. Bear spray would be cheap peace of mind.

Thanks for sharing that link! On our way back down, we saw a lot of younger folks (not sure if locals or tourists) in their 20's going up the maintained portion of the trail. Our guides really tried to talk the kids out of going to the unmaintained trail by themselves. Apparently, ice caves are "mythical" and finding one is like seeing a fairy in the woods?!? I guess you rangers put this sign up for a reason. :p

IMG_1832-1.jpg

When hiking the trails that originate from the area around the visitors center of the glacier, are bears an issue in June? I know that bears are around in late summer due to the salmon run.

I had thought that with all the tourists, that the bears would be less likely to be out around the trails in mid day. I may be naive in this which is why I am asking. I really don't want to run into any bears while walking the trails. Is it the east trails that originate fr?

You would have to buy it in Juneau and leave it there. It is essentially Mace and wouldn't be allowed on the ship. It's about $60 for a can.

It's also a dangerous weapon to the human when not properly trained. I wouldn't have some 19 year old drop into Western Auto and pick up a can before hitting the trails.

vmom, bears eat all the time they're not hibernating. :D They're constantly searching for food. I wish I could remember where I saw this, but I swear I saw that they're out in afternoons? But enjoy your hike, talk a lot and loudly and don't run around any blind corners. You'll be fine.

It's also a dangerous weapon to the human when not properly trained. I wouldn't have some 19 year old drop into Western Auto and pick up a can before hitting the trails.

Pretty general statement. My only thought is, "It depends on the 19 year old." I am sure there are some 19 year olds who would be more trained and more responsible with it than some much older...it depends.

1) Sneakers ok on the hikes or will I need hiking boots? I am limited on my suitcase number/weight and wasn't going to bring hiking boots?

I thought there was a simple hike near the visitor center but was hoping to get somewhat closer to the glacier.

2) I will doing this solo (the others are staying in town). Is there a hiking group I can hook up with at the Visitor Center?

Still doing my research so appreciate your answers. TIA

There is a simple hike near the visitor center that will get you closer to the glacier than the Photo Point. The Nugget Falls Trail (flat, .75 mile) goes to the base of Nugget Falls. It's a totally different perspective on the glacier and I highly recommend it.

There is a simple hike near the visitor center that will get you closer to the glacier than the Photo Point. The Nugget Falls Trail (flat, .75 mile) goes to the base of Nugget Falls. It's a totally different perspective on the glacier and I highly recommend it.

My DD and her DH just returned on the Oosterdam yesterday. I saw their pictures and videos of the falls. It looked like a very easy walk to get some awesome pictures!

Just wondering if this is a hike that is doable in under an hour and still have some time to take pictures at the glacier? We are on a prearranged tour and have about 1 1/4 hours.

thanks!

Just wondering if this is a hike that is doable in under an hour and still have some time to take pictures at the glacier? We are on a prearranged tour and have about 1 1/4 hours.

thanks!

I don't know how close you will get, but my mom was on one of those bus tour and she walked out towards to waterfall close enough to take pictures with the glacier and falls.

There can be bears anywhere. We saw one in the street in front of the State Capitol building in Juneau 5 years ago. There are also bears on the trails at the top of Mt. Roberts tram this year. Trails are likely to be muddy. Nugget Falls trail at Mendenhall is a must for photos.

I think this is the one my son and I are going to do after spending time at the visitor center.

Rock scramble

rockscramble.jpg

Walking on glacier

1306638446.jpg

Inside BLUE ice cave

1306638663.jpg

Wow, the pictures are amazing! I signed up for the same hike but now I'm worry that I might not be physically fit enough to do all those hiking/scrambling. Was it really tough? I hike in the Catskills once or twice a year so not sure how hard this will be compare to the Cats.

Which hike? The answers to your questions depend on the answer to mine!

In any case, bear sightings are always a possibility when hiking in Alaska. They just need to be "bear aware."

We were there last week and our bus driver said there were 2 juvenile bears but they were hanging around the bus parking lot. I would check with the rangers at the glacier when you go. They have some junior glacierologist displays too for your daughter. It could be for older ones, too. I enjoyed it. Have them pick up a book for a scavenger hunt and recipes. We also touched some 250 year old ice--really cold but so clear.

This is really an awesome place.

When we were there this past Saturday, a couple of rangers were going to go hike up the next day or so. Did they go? I take it you are one of rangers at the glacier. If so, we had a great time. Not enough time there tho to really take it all in.

--Colleen

I think this is the one my son and I are going to do after spending time at the visitor center.

Seamour -- might I suggest doing the hike first -- time seems to fly by and if you do the visitor center first, you might not make it to the hike. We only had 45 min which was too short for the hike once we got there. We be slow. The Glacier is pretty awesome and messmerizing to me. And this was after Tracy Arm.

-jmho. Colleen

Archived