Around The Horn in February? How Was Your Trip?

Anyone cruised around the Horn of South America in February? How was your trip?

DW and I are contemplating a Round The Horn cruise and was wondering what sort of seas we could reasonably expect to encounter. We've been through a couple of storms crossing the Atlantic with 14 ft plus waves with the bow plowing through some deep troughs, so we don't mind an occasional rough sea.:)

Anyone cruised around the Horn of South America in February? How was your trip?

DW and I are contemplating a Round The Horn cruise and was wondering what sort of seas we could reasonably expect to encounter. We've been through a couple of storms crossing the Atlantic with 14 ft plus waves with the bow plowing through some deep troughs, so we don't mind an occasional rough sea.:)

Twice-both trips from Valparaiso, one to BA and one to Rio.

The first one-early Feb 2002 on the Mercury- was very, very rough (30+ foot waves and lots of sick people) and very, very cold. It actually snowed the day we were going around the Horn. Not much but enough to cover the deck with a layer of white. Sat in the hot tub going through the glaciers. A truly spectacular day!!!

The second one-Infinity in late Feb, 2007-was much smoother (and warmer) but not nearly as much fun. While I love the Infinity, there were just too many people who had not a clue what they were doing and were holding up the whole show over and over. Took absolutely forever to disembark any port.

We also did the Infinity repo cruise from FLL to Santiago in Dec. 2006.

If you want to see lots and lots of penguins, take the ferry to Magdalena Island. Go in early February. The penguins begin leaving by the end of February and are almost gone by March.

Enjoy!!! It is truly a great trip.

I have sailed around the horn multiple times.

It is a fascinating trip with lots to see.

I would recommend sailing from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and spending a couple of days in Buenos Aires before the cruise. It's a wonderful city and it is very European even though it is in South America.

As to the seas. The odds say that the seas will be rough for a few to several hours as you go around the horn. Therefore, I would recommend trying to book a cabin mid ship and also bringing some items to prevent sea sickness.

With that said, one time we had the calmest of seas. Another time, fairly rough seas.

Again, we hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

It is a truly fascinating trip and I would book it.

Keith

Archived