Excursions and Tipping?

busdriver475

My DW and I have signed up for a private excursion with a guide to visit Rome. I would like a little advice as to tipping in Europe. I don’t mean to be disrespectful to their customs (lol):confused:. What would be a guideline for tipping a driver and a guide. I haven’t found too much information on this subject, although the tour company says about $5 for the driver which I thought was a little slight. I don’t want to start a tipping war just looking for some TIPS.:D

My DW and I have signed up for a private excursion with a guide to visit Rome. I would like a little advice as to tipping in Europe. I don’t mean to be disrespectful to their customs (lol):confused:. What would be a guideline for tipping a driver and a guide. I haven’t found too much information on this subject, although the tour company says about $5 for the driver which I thought was a little slight. I don’t want to start a tipping war just looking for some TIPS.:D

OOPs I meant to take the LOL and confused out of the end of the sentence I had something else in there at the time and erased it and forgot to take it out.

Here in Germany service charge is always included and you may tip just a little. So I think 5 $ is enough. It is not like in US where it is an important part of the wages/salary. People here in Europe do not depend on tips. Like in a German restaurant a service charge of 15 % is already included in the price of everything you order. Italy is pretty much the same. But always people will appreciate anything you will give to them. But no need to do like in the US. :-)

I guess it depends how good a guide you get.

We did a tour in Gerainger on the Fjords. Only came to about $45 each, but we gave a $20 tip because we felt that the guide had enhanced the trip and made the excursion much more enjoyable.

On the same cruise we had a guide who took us around Copenhagen. The idea was a 4 hour excursion to end up at the airport at a particular time. It was so rushed that it took 2. 1/2 hours and consequently we arrived far too early at the airport, and didn't see all we had hoped to........ I'll leave you to finish the story.

That's a really good question. We're Californians, so Hell, we tip everyone it seems - from the coffee Barista to the line cooks where we pick up our Calzones to go! lol

In all of our X cruises, we have always tipped the tour guide who we thought was taking care of the driver. I don't believe we have ever seen a passenger tip a driver, only the guide. We generally tip $10 to $20 (collectively) depending upon the quality of the excursion and the guide's presentation...of course, and the length.

For a private tour ask the tour company what they have included for the tour director's tip then depending on what that amount is and the lenght of the tour and level of service, you could add something extra. Anywhere from $10.00 to a $100.00 should work. Keep in mind these people are only paid when they direct a tour and they have families to support as well. On ship even though there is a 15% gratuity built into the price of the cocktail we always add another $2.00 or $3.00 to the check. We give extra to our room steward and wait staff mid way through our cruise and again at the end as well. These people work very hard, have long hours and have families to support back home. We hava always felt if we can afford to cruise we can afford to take care of those who take care of us. :)

Our opinion;)......When you pay for your private excursions in Europe, you have paid for a certain level of service and attention. If you feel that the tour was above and beyond what you think you paid for, then you can add to that amount at the end of the tour. We have added and we have, on one occasion, had difficulty paying what was charged. In that case we wrote a letter of dissatisfaction, (as did others in our group) and actually received a portion of our tour cost returned.

Know that in Europe, as someone else said, tipping is not the custom. It is an American thing that Europe LOVES to take advantage of. If the tour company suggested $5.00, that should tell you that anything added is a plus. The amount is a personal thing. As the previous poster said, don't let anyone "pressure" you into thinking you SHOULD do anything. Your choice.

you could add something extra. Anywhere from $10.00 to a $100.00 should work. Keep in mind these people are only paid when they direct a tour and they have families to support as well. On ship even though there is a 15% gratuity built into the price of the cocktail we always add another $2.00 or $3.00 to the check. We give extra to our room steward and wait staff mid way through our cruise and again at the end as well. These people work very hard, have long hours and have families to support back home. We hava always felt if we can afford to cruise we can afford to take care of those who take care of us. :)

Hi,

Your comments highlight the often vast differences in attitude to tipping between British & Americans.

In Europe, tipping is not expected in many instances. If the recommended amount is $5 why pay up to $100!! Why add an extra $2/3 dollars to an already (IMO) expensive drink that already has the gratuity built in!!

Not everyone has gone a bottomless pit of money. I tip at least what is recommended and will add extra for extra special service.

Jim

For a private tour ask the tour company what they have included for the tour director's tip then depending on what that amount is and the lenght of the tour and level of service, you could add something extra. Anywhere from $10.00 to a $100.00 should work. Keep in mind these people are only paid when they direct a tour and they have families to support as well. On ship even though there is a 15% gratuity built into the price of the cocktail we always add another $2.00 or $3.00 to the check. We give extra to our room steward and wait staff mid way through our cruise and again at the end as well. These people work very hard, have long hours and have families to support back home. We hava always felt if we can afford to cruise we can afford to take care of those who take care of us. :)

Sounds very generous of you. When I'm onboard I will tip extra for extraordinary service (my favorite Solstice bartender Adrian always gets nice tip towards the end of a cruise), but I don't go tipping extra on everything. There is the included tips for onboard service.

But, the OP asked about excursions, not onboard service. Most of my excursions to date on Celebrity have been diving excursion (mostly Caribbean cruises) and I've happily tipped the good dive masters. But for my upcoming Med cruise I only plan to tip well done tours. If I do a cruise tour that is mostly a cattle call and nothing exceptional in service then I don't plan on tipping. However, if I get a great guide who is engaging and provides for a great time then I'll consider tipping. I think it really comes down to the experience provided and how far that goes above what can be expected on an excursion.

Archived