Driving in Santorini

Scorpiorose

so.....what about renting a card in Santorini??? Should we wait until we get there? Seems like a straight shot to Oia, could be easy to get there. What do you think? Safe for two women who do not speak Greek?

Or a mo-ped???

Driving in Santorini in easy. We booked a car in advance (and have already booked a car from the same place for our October cruise - Tony's). We drove to Oia and the little fishing village below it (Amoudi), then to several other places on the island.

I'd stay off mopeds were I you. They are dangerous enough in the States, but on strange roads and crowded streets they could be even more dangerous. And what about rain? Spring for the car....

can you tell me about how much for a small car?

I don't have my files in front of me, but as I recall it was about 45 Euros for a day (or part) including "full" insurance for a small 4 passenger car with manual transmission.... plus you fill the gas when you're done....

We rented an ATV from Tony's and had a great time, we had our IDP for our driving time in Italy, but don't remember needing that in Greece or Corfu at all. Prices may vary by how many reservations they have that day, we rented without a reservation and paid maybe $35 or so for our whole day.

We tried to rent a car in advance and we got stood up! After waiting 45 minutes at the top of the funicular, we gave up and walked onto the main street and rented one there without any trouble. You should not need a int. license. I am afraid I dont remember the price, but I remember it being very reasonable and COMPLETELY worth it. We would do it again in a second!

• 4 weeks later...

You definitely need an IDL if not having a European Driver's license.

An IDL will not be asked for when you rent, but on the odd police control, you may possibly have problems and get fined.

American or Canadian driver's license is NOT valid in Europe and i guess European DL is not valid in the States or Canada.

Re: mopeds: definitely stay away. They are nice but unfamiliar plateau and lots of turns + quick driving from locals make it a no no, in my opinion. I 'd also stay away from the ATV's. So, go for IDL and a nice little car and go for it :) Much better from the moped or the atv.

Driving in Santorini in easy. We booked a car in advance (and have already booked a car from the same place for our October cruise - Tony's). We drove to Oia and the little fishing village below it (Amoudi), then to several other places on the island.

I'd stay off mopeds were I you. They are dangerous enough in the States, but on strange roads and crowded streets they could be even more dangerous. And what about rain? Spring for the car....

moped=organ donor machine

Siestavb, we relied on the map from the rental car agency, but it wasn't always accurate, the scale was off, and even our expert map readers (people in our group) had a tough time. I'm not sure where to tell you to find a better map before you go, but knowing the knowledgeable people on this board, someone will give you the right answer.

Archived