Strollers and American Airlines

pms4104

Effective immediately, American Airlines no longer will gate-check large or non-collapsible strollers or those over 20 lbs. They must be checked at the ticket counter. There is no fee for doing so.

See: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/specialAssistance/childrenTraveling.jsp#strollerdisclaimer

On that page, click on the "New Requrement ..." link for further info.

Yep - stinks for parents of multiples or multiple infant/toddlers - especially if you are traveling on your own. I posted a question on facebook and they merely deleted it. Nice. I'm sure the airline can provide some kind of assistance if you asked, but they won't even answer what can be done.

Just thought I would post a follow-up. It took them nearly a week to respond, which they usually respond quicker, so I figured they must not have had a canned answer just yet ;) Looks like they will look at alternatives.

-------

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you.

We very much appreciate the time you took to send us your comments regarding our new policy for checking strollers. Your comments have merit and clearly reflect the thought that went into this issue. As a grandmother of four boys ages 7, 5 and twins that are 23 months, I completely understand!

It is always helpful for us to consider our products and services from our customers' perspective, and you can be sure our Manager of Airport Services is reviewing your comments. We try to be responsive to our customers and carefully analyze trend information based upon their reactions. In this way we can identify those service elements that are most appealing as well as improve those that produce a negative response.

At this time, we do not have any special provisions for families traveling with multiple children, however I have forwarded several letters this week from mothers asking the same thing. I know that our manager of Airport Services is reviewing this matter and will make the best decision for all concerned.

Ms. Walker, our aim is to suit the needs and wishes of the majority of our customers. As we determine the appropriate action in this regard, your preferences will be considered. Thank you for giving us the benefit of your observations.

Sincerely,

Ms. Doris L. Webb

Customer Relations

American Airlines

Thanks for postiing your response from AA. Sounds like there are many passengers expressing concern over this new policy and, it would seem, AA is listening.

By the way, I have no skin in this game ... only started the thread as a heads up to all the families that might be impacted.

@Camp367 - This no longer directly affects me either as we are out of strollers, but I'm around quite a few multiples moms who are dealing with it...and I know there are some moms with multiple little singletons too.

Maybe they the airports will start carrying things like "shopping carts" so you can have a temporary single and/or double stroller to use to the gate...although no one is happy about using someone else's stuff (for fear of germs)....but that could be an alternative. Recently, one of our MoMs bought to single umbrellas and the clips to hold the two together like a double. I guess if you have multiple tiny ones in their infant seats, maybe you just get the guys on the cart to haul you around to your gate. Someone also mentioned the leashes for those who can walk (and potentially run away in different directions) ;)

It's not generally advertised, but in special situations, airlines will offer a special pass to someone who isn't flying to accompany a passenger in need of special assistance directly to the gate. You could get a friend or partner to go with you to the airport and help with the kids. The pass is issued by the ticket agent at the check in counter where you'd check your luggage and the stroller (not available at curbside check in). A friend of mine flies alone with twins a couple of times a year, and her non-ticketed husband (or a girlfriend once) have always been allowed to accompany her to the gate to help wrangle the kids.

Keep in mind that if you use the services of an electric cart driver or porter, tipping is expected.

Orlando is my home airport, and the number of strollers left at the bottom of the jetway is at times absurd. The problem is that the large ones are REALLY large, and it's unpredictable how many of them will be gate checked. There's only so much room for luggage and air cargo, and I've actually seen where cargo has had to be offloaded to accommodate the large number of gate checked strollers. Having them checked in before the plane becomes fully loaded will make sorting and loading the cargo/baggage easier and more efficient--and more efficient means cost savings which are ultimately passed on to the consumer.

Archived