All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Hi all,

We will be on the Explorer on December 1st. From the photos I've seen of snow covered decks, I'm really hoping that the pools are heated!?:confused:

Or do they heat up really fast when we get down south?

Thanks,

Karyn

It says they have 3 pools on board and 1 is heated.

I can not remember from our last cruise on Explorer but can someone tell me, do they supply helmets at the ice rink? I do not want my kids on the ice without helmets but would hate to have to bring them if RCI has them. Given all the talk on concussions I would assume they would have them. Having seen first hand in my mother's friend what a concussion from hockey can do I am not keen to risk my kids' safety at this point. As I get older I am becoming more cautious it seems....

Bob

I can not remember from our last cruise on Explorer but can someone tell me, do they supply helmets at the ice rink? I do not want my kids on the ice without helmets but would hate to have to bring them if RCI has them. Given all the talk on concussions I would assume they would have them. Having seen first hand in my mother's friend what a concussion from hockey can do I am not keen to risk my kids' safety at this point. As I get older I am becoming more cautious it seems....

Bob

Hi Bob!!!!

When we cruised together in 4/09, they did not require helmets but did have a supply of them. When I cruised in 4/10, they both required all guests to wear helmets and supplied them. They also have wrist guards, knee pads, elbow pads too but they are not required. At least they weren't in 4/10.

When are you cruising this time? January if I recall...

Hi Bob!!!!

When we cruised together in 4/09, they did not require helmets but did have a supply of them. When I cruised in 4/10, they both required all guests to wear helmets and supplied them. They also have wrist guards, knee pads, elbow pads too but they are not required. At least they weren't in 4/10.

When are you cruising this time? January if I recall...

In addition to this, I believe RCI requires all children to wear helmets on the roller blading track also. All the equipment is supplied.

Mom.to.2 - you have changed your name. I saw this name posted and wondered if it was you but did not see the Princesses. Then I thought perhaps someone was poaching your name and thought it might get confusing but glad to see it is you. Thanks for the information. I could not remember from April 2010. We are going in March 2012. I have not worn a helmet playing hockey or skating since I played minor hockey nearly 30 years ago but recently bought a helmet. I make more from my limited brain than my hockey skills:) I appreciate not having to pack helmets for the kids and I.

XLRATION, thanks for the info - the kids may want to try that one too.

Bob

Mom.to.2 - you have changed your name. I saw this name posted and wondered if it was you but did not see the Princesses. Then I thought perhaps someone was poaching your name and thought it might get confusing but glad to see it is you. Thanks for the information. I could not remember from April 2010. We are going in March 2012. I have not worn a helmet playing hockey or skating since I played minor hockey nearly 30 years ago but recently bought a helmet. I make more from my limited brain than my hockey skills:) I appreciate not having to pack helmets for the kids and I.

XLRATION, thanks for the info - the kids may want to try that one too.

Bob

It's me, not an imposter:) I changed my name because it seemed like the "princesses" part gave people the wrong impression that I or my children are entitled. It's hard since no one really knows you here.

I make my 4 year old wear a helmet whenever she skates (weekly lessons.) My 9 year old is recreationally competitive and doesn't wear a helmet but you can't really wear a helmet while you skate a program in front of an audience :rolleyes

Packing helmets would be a pain especially since you fly.

Enjoy your cruise! We're going 2/17/11.

There is a large hot tub in the middle of the fitness center that is about 3.5 feet deep - it looks like your room would be on the right where the fitness center desk and walkway would be. My guess is that this space has not been filled with rooms because of the plumbing requirements and the noise of the exercise machines.

There is a large hot tub in the middle of the fitness center that is about 3.5 feet deep - it looks like your room would be on the right where the fitness center desk and walkway would be. My guess is that this space has not been filled with rooms because of the plumbing requirements and the noise of the exercise machines.

Is the fitness center hot tub used mostly by people after a workout, or do others come and sit in there to relax when it is still too cold to use the ones outdoors? When do the outdoor hot tubs on the pool deck open/become usable? We are going on a New Year's cruise, so it is likely not practical to be in a hot tub on embarkation day.

Is the fitness center hot tub used mostly by people after a workout, or do others come and sit in there to relax when it is still too cold to use the ones outdoors? When do the outdoor hot tubs on the pool deck open/become usable? We are going on a New Year's cruise, so it is likely not practical to be in a hot tub on embarkation day.

We've done a few in Jan & Feb from Bayonne and the hot tubs were open. It's a bit less windy if you use the ones in the solarium.

We booked inside guarantee for 1/6/12. We are in Cabin 1235 on Deck 10. It looks like it is right under the spa and fitness center, and it is the only inside cabin on that hallway. What is in front of us on that deck? Thanks.

Alan (and Leslie)

I think the front of Deck 10 is senior officers qtrs and the bridge.

I know I should be patient and look back but....one I am at work (shhhh) and the other, probably more important, I am lazy. Sorry.

Although we were on the Explorer last December my mind has erased from its memory bank the time necessary from the ship to Newark Airport while using the RCI shuttle. My TA just told me that RCI suggests no flights before 2 PM. To me that is ridiculous but it made me wonder if there are so few people who actually fly for this cruise they only provide perhaps one bus to the airport.

Can anyone help an old timer out here? I believe our flight is about 12:30 but if there is only one bus to the airport we might be in trouble.

Thanks.

I know I should be patient and look back but....one I am at work (shhhh) and the other, probably more important, I am lazy. Sorry.

Although we were on the Explorer last December my mind has erased from its memory bank the time necessary from the ship to Newark Airport while using the RCI shuttle. My TA just told me that RCI suggests no flights before 2 PM. To me that is ridiculous but it made me wonder if there are so few people who actually fly for this cruise they only provide perhaps one bus to the airport.

Can anyone help an old timer out here? I believe our flight is about 12:30 but if there is only one bus to the airport we might be in trouble.

Thanks.

that's fine..it's about 11 miles...they WILL fill up the shuttle/bus --there are several...worse comes to worse grab a cab.,,,,

We have that cabin in Dec. How did you like the balcony and location.

LOVED the balcony! Location, as you know, is ALL the way at the back of the ship. It wasn't too bad, we definitely got some exercise. But it made it tough if you just wanted to run to the cabin real quick. But the balcony was worth it. I'd book it again.

The balcony is worth the walk - it's larger than the cabin. We had 20+ people on it for a pre dinner gathering and it wasn't even crowded. Loved the side "porthole" and the ability to see 270 degrees. Loved looking at the wake - thought the infrastructure gave some interest and depth to an otherwise flat view of the water.

Cruised on Jewell of the Seas last week and 1st seating was at 5:30 pm. :mad: Hotel Manager said it was "demographics" that caused the change from 6:00 pm. to earlier (yes it was mostly older people). I have been on Explorer 3 times (and 1st seating was always 6pm) and will be cruising on Dec. 1st and have 1st seating; however I was reading an EOS review where the person said the 1st seating time was changed to 5:30 when she boarded. Anyone else have this happen? Don't really want to sign up for My Time Dining but 5:30 is way too early.