which location is better for seasickness?

wezie

Hi. Can anyone tell me what the best loacation is not to feel the ship's movement? I think it is mid ship but what is it after that? Foward or Aft? Also is it better on a lower deck or higher one? Thank you!

I am very prone to motion sickness and have stayed forward, mid, aft, lower floors and higher floors. Many people say you get more motion forward and that midship lower is best, but i have never personally noticed a difference in the motion. I'm sure you will get many different opinions to this lol. I just take non drowsy medicine and all is good :)

Midships and the lowest deck possible. That's where you'll experience the least movement.

Picture a teeter totter... see? The middle part barely moves at all. If you stood up a 4X8 sheet of plywood on top of that teeter totter you would see that the higher above the pivot point you look the more movement there is.

:)

You will feel less motion midship, then fore or aft. Fore would be the second worse, and aft better, depending on how rough it really is. The cruise ahips of today are pretty massive, not counting the smaller coastal type cruise lines. Ocassionally the bow may ride up a little higher with the sea conditions. As far as the swaying back and forth, the higher up you go, you may experience or feel it more.

Depending on you own tollerance, this varies person to person. Some people have no problems with sea-sickness :D, while others get nauseous standing on the dock looking at ripples or waves on the water. As a deckie I only came close twice to getting slightly sick when having to go down and do an engine room round underway in the hot Carribean. The ship, especially engine room was not air conditioned, and we had some diesel oil sloshing in the bilges, the smell was a little much for me. Unfortunately my EOW (engineer of the water) was a nice shade of green lying on the deck looking like death warmed over (poor guy). Otherwise (knock wood), I have been very lucky.

If you start getting queezy, get some fresh air, don't stare at a single object, slowly look around at various abjects or places. This will help with your equalibrium. Some people eat saltine crackers, some tale the pink and blue pills, some take bonine tablets, others use the patch behind the ear, or have the wrist bands with the small ball that goes over your pulse point on your wrist. Good luck, enjoy your cruise and don't worry or think about it. If you think about it happening, you may psych yourself into getting sick. Oh yeah, alcohol, especially rum punches has a lot to do with how some folks feel on cruise ships ;). Also cigarette and cigar smoke can also make your symptoms worse.

Do remember though that you won't be in your cabin all of the time. Pools are on the Lido deck which is high up along with the buffet area. Theaters are usually in the bow (front) of the ship, etc.

So true, but the pool is midships and the buffet is not that farther aft.

I can attest to the fact that there's can be considerable movement in the bow and stern. We sailed in 30 foot seas on the Carnival Dream. At breakfast we were in the Scarlet restaurant, the aft dining room. Our table was at the absolute end of the ship. There were folks grabbing for the rails that were mounted between us and the stern windows while they were seated.

:)

I may not have a pretty visual picture to paint like others did *cough cough Mach*, but what others said is true. Midships, the lower the deck the better.

Chances are you won't run into any problems. Have a wonderful cruise!

I am very prone to motion sickness and have stayed forward, mid, aft, lower floors and higher floors. Many people say you get more motion forward and that midship lower is best, but i have never personally noticed a difference in the motion. I'm sure you will get many different opinions to this lol. I just take non drowsy medicine and all is good :)

If you hit rough seas, believe me, you will feel a difference depending on where you are located. When the cruise is smooth sailing, it doesn't make alot of difference. Even those not prone to motion sickness have gotten sick on rough seas, and mid ship is the smoothest sailing in those conditions.

If you are prone to seasickness, it really doesn't matter where you are. If you get sea sick, you get sea sick on any deck, fore, aft or center. If you know you are one of those people that have issues with motion, don't bother picking your cabin based on that. Just remember to bring and take medication.

I really dont get motion sickness but when I have felt kind of sick I ate something and it was gone. The only place I really felt any motion was in dining room. I kept saying to our table you guys cant feel that? I was the only one. After we left the dining room I was good to go. Just take some kind of medicine and you should be alright.

I really dont get motion sickness but when I have felt kind of sick I ate something and it was gone. The only place I really felt any motion was in dining room. I kept saying to our table you guys cant feel that? I was the only one. After we left the dining room I was good to go. Just take some kind of medicine and you should be alright.

I totally agree about dining rooms. I too get car sick just driving in backseat 6 blocks and took a Bonine a few hours before dinner (less drowsy)as it was the worst location for me. I have tried requesting MDR that is center located when they have it and always end up way far at opposite end from cabin-go figure, I guess it walks off calories. It us the only place that I have ever felt queasy and only one at table feeling it.

I am not sure of it is still true but I thought I read the Guest services area has free Dramamone for the asking.

Archived