MegaBus??

cluelyss18

Has anyone used MegaBus for transportation? I recently found that they have fares from Providence, RI to NY and if we can snag them they are only $2.50 per person one way. Includes one big luggage, one carry on each. My mom is skeptical though. Any reviews out there?

Also, I've never taken a taxi in NYC before, if one picks us up at the bus drop off to take us to the pier, will they stop so I can grab wine and soda before going to the pier?

Thanks for any help.

a taxi will wait - with the meter running, of course. if you're going to take the bus, why not just bring it with you from home?

A taxi driver might be willing to wait, but there's a good chance he won't have a place to wait. Traffic in midtown can be heavy, and unless you know the location of a liquor store (you can't depend on asking the cabbie "take me to a liquor store."), you night not see one along your ride.

If you go with megabus, consider using the money you save to buy drinks on the ship if you don't want to carry the wine and soda from home.

a taxi will wait - with the meter running, of course. if you're going to take the bus, why not just bring it with you from home?

I'm concerned about the one carry-on thing. That would be my backpack, but maybe I'll squeeze something else on too.

A few years ago, I took Megabus from Chicago to Minneapolis--my rate was $40 for the round trip. I know they have some extraordinarily low fares and probably some passengers on the same bus as I was on paid a lot less, but since I usually fly and spend a lot more, I was happy with my fare.

I rode with pleasant people and took plenty of reading material. On the trip back, I got one of the seats that had a table between facing seats and it was very handy for crossword puzzles.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Megabus again.

Cluelyss18, if you're planning to travel from Providence, check Amtrak. Acela is expensive, but the Regional fares aren't too bad. And you can take all the luggage you want. I don't know where Megabus drops off pax, but there might not be taxis immediately available. There's a taxi queue outside Penn Station. I don't know if there will be a train at the time you want, but it's worth looking into.

Mega Bus drops off at the Port Authority Bus Station in NYC. There are a limited number of cheap seats and as the cheap seats are sold out the price of the remaining seats increase. You need to book early to get the cheap seats.

Actually in Port Authority, or on a nearby side street? I thought one way these cheaper bus companies kept prices down was by not paying the fees to use the bus terminal. I was in NYC today, and saw Bolt parked near Penn Station. there was another bus in front of the Bolt, but it wasn't Megabus.

Yes, you do have to buy tickets quickly to get the cheap fare. The prices escalate in the same way on the UK version of MegaBus and MegaTrain.

I looked around for liquor stores as we walked up 9th and down 8th bet 33rd and 54th streets. I only noticed one, and it was small (and with a bus stop out front, so no parking there). It appeared to be all liquor no wine, and certainly no soda. I don't think there's much chance of finding wine and soda "on the fly" on the way to the ship.

Did you know HAL runs a bus from Boston all the way down I-95 right to the pier? I don't know how much it costs, but it might be worth a call to find out. You would be traveling with all people headed for the same place - the ship, and no folling around with NYC taxies.

Mega Bus drops off at the Port Authority Bus Station in NYC.

No, it doesn't. Megabus arrivals are located at the MTA bus shelter on the west side of 7th Avenue, just south of 28th Street. They use separate locations in New York for arrivals and departures. Departures are located on the west side of 9th Avenue north of 31st Street. Neither location is near the Port Authority Bus Terminal. See their website (http://us.megabus.com/BusStops.aspx) for further details.

I've taken Bolt Bus and MegaBus to Philly with no complaints. Clean and timely buses with cheap fares - can't really beat that. They don't go right to Port Authority just outside of it. There are usually one or two drop off points on the way up there (at least coming from Philly there were) but the last stop would definitely be closest to the cruise ship.

Megabus and others attract riders with ridiculous fares if you are among the first to book. If you don't get one of the really cheap fares,you might want to look into major carriers such as Greyhound,Trailways and Peter Pan. Bus tickets are cheap enough you don't have to sweat over cost. There are also other super-cheap brands beside Megabus. I believe outfits such as Greyhound have also started to compete. Because they keep fares down by making the trip point-to-point,it depends on who serves Providence. One important caveat,stay away from the Chinatown busses that compete with Megabus. These are the guys who keep rolling the busses and killing passengers because they continually violate DOT rules regarding driver fatigue and vehicle safety.

So far as wine,if your bus drops you in Midtown or Port Authority,there are plenty of liquor stores where you can make your purchase before hailing a cab. I haven't been to PA in a number of years (due to the blessed fact I now live in semi-rural Tennessee rather than the NY suburbs) but I'm almost 100 percent positive there is a liquor store in the terminal to allow commuters to pick up a bottle or two on the way home.

My only concern about Megabus would be with luggage. The website isn't too clear about onboard storage, either inside or under the bus. Nor is it clear who retrieves luggage from the storage area. I'd hate to start my vacation crawling around in the belly of a bus.

Otherwise, I've heard nothing but good things (albeit from people who've only taken a duffle bag or so).

Yes, the Megabus stops (on the DC/NY route, at least) are very near Penn Station, and it should be a simple matter to get in the queue at the cab stand outside the station. You should be aware there's a good deal of construction in the area around Penn Station--I wasn't prepared for that. Like others have said, it'd be best if you bought drinks before getting a cab. Most taxi drivers want to get going and get back.

• 9 months later...

I recently used Megabus Milwaukee to Chicago. Total fare $1.00 each way.

Reliable service, very nice buses. More importantly, on time. The price can't be beat, it does vary depending on load, and how much advance booking.

Archived