Horseback riding on Half Moon Cay

We did this excursion, and had a blast! We took a short tram ride to the "ranch", where we were matched up with a horse. The horses looked to be in good shape, compared to other islands where we have ridden. (some are retired Jamaican race horses) We walked around the corral a bit, then were led to the "land" part of the excursion. Mostly walking up and down some hills - nothing too exciting, if you are a rider. Just a touch of trot. We were then brought back to the beach area, where some of the horse's saddles were switched to water saddles. 1/2 of us rode, while the other 1/2 watched. We were led into the water - up to the horses saddles. They "ran/swam" thru the water - it was wild trying to hang on. I was on the lead horse, and had a great ride, as the guide held my horse's lead rein to get him to run- all the others were "on their own" to follow my horse. Another advantage to being in the front - the horses seem to "let go" of their "loads" when they start swimming. Everyone else was swimming thru the gunk - it was pretty funny. I am actually thinking of doing it again, it was so much fun. There may be an age limit to this ride - for some reason I remember it being 10 or 12 years old. I can't imagine anyone younger being able to balance and hang on during the swim!

my daughter and i did this 2 years ago. first you get sized up for your horse then you go riding threw the trails and then you come back to the stable and get different saddles on the horse so you can ride in the ocean . then you go back out and ride on the beach then all the riders are in the ocean and you run as a group threw the water then you are done. if you do this be the riders in the back in the ocean .

I did this once and although I am so happy to say I rode a horse in the ocean I would not do it again! I was really scared in the water. You have to hold on tight as the water is pushing at you to basically push you off! Would not recommend it for a child under about 12 years old.

I was also really disappointed at the land bit. I have ridden horses before on land & was looking forward to a bit more on land. It was very short & not too interesting.

So basically fun to do once, but not for little kids!

didn't look up to see what other islands you are going to but we just booked horseback riding privately on grand turk and it was cheaper than the ships tour... carnival wanted $85pp and we got it for $75 for adults and $60 for 18 and under...

i'm sure that half moon cay doesn't have private tours but maybe you should look on the other islands you'll be visiting to see if you can get it cheaper...

i actually found the website and good feedback under the Ports of Call category...

like you said, $500 for 6 people is alot of money... in my case, theres 12 of us going horseback riding!!!

HMC is a good ride because they really take you out and do some hardcore swimming on horseback, not just splashing through the surf, straight swimming in 10+ foot water. Fun times. DW loves to horseback ride so we have done it all over the carribean, this was probably the best one.

My husband and I did this at Half Moon Cay, and it was definitely worth it, but then again, it was just two of us. The people in charge of the horses are really nice and the horses seem really well taken care of, which is nice to see.

Archived