Dinner

Jon54

I've only been on one cruise and that was about 8 years ago when we went to Alaska. We're leaving in just over a week for Canada / New England. I hope my question isn't too strange. I've reached the point in my life where I really try to watch what I eat, especially in quantity. I recall being confused about what to order from the menu on my last cruise and reqretting a time or two what I got. I've had friends say they simply order something else if the first isn't what they expected. Is this common? Don't want to be a glutten but want to get the max out of our trip.:eek: Appreciate your thoughtful comments.

For us, portions have become smaller which is great because we're not looking for an all you can eat experience. It's possible to order as many courses as you can eat so no one leaves hungry. We've cruised many times & while it's rare to have anyone return an item for another one, I wouldn't hesitate to do it if something was not close to what I thought I'd get. We choose traditional dining so we get to know our tablemates quite well & most are also hesitant to return food. Once all of the fish was very dry but all of us ate it & discussed later how it wasn't great. But I wouldn't complain later without giving them a chance to provide something more enjoyable...just the way I do things. :p

They don't want passengers to be unhappy with their meals & not give them an opportunity to make you happy while onboard. Some say nothing then complain post-cruise which to me is unfair because I believe it's best to give them a chance to make us happy which is what they truly want to do for all of us. :)

Yes, if you get served something that you don't care for, it's perfectly all right to request something different. That said, you don't want to waste food repeatedly, so your waiter is your best resource: ask him for his recommendation as they generally know what's good on a particular night, and they can usually help make sense of the menu descriptions if there are terms or cooking methods that aren't clear. And if there are things you don't/won't eat (me, I avoid at all costs olives, melons, and raisins, so I always ask about those if there's a dish on the menu that I know from experience is likely to contain any one of them), do let the waiter know or ask him about a particular dish you're interested in. Hope this helps.

At the risk of sounding completely gluttonous!! I have order 2 entrees.. because I Wanted to try something.

Also- my husband is a work out fanatic and can actually eat a lot though he is quite thin- He has order two entrees occasionally because he just wanted t more.

I think its very flexible. You don't have to even tell them why- just order it.

I've only been on one cruise and that was about 8 years ago when we went to Alaska. We're leaving in just over a week for Canada / New England. I hope my question isn't too strange. I've reached the point in my life where I really try to watch what I eat, especially in quantity. I recall being confused about what to order from the menu on my last cruise and reqretting a time or two what I got. I've had friends say they simply order something else if the first isn't what they expected. Is this common? Don't want to be a glutten but want to get the max out of our trip.:eek: Appreciate your thoughtful comments.

Hi Jon54. I don't think your question is strange at all :) I've taken 9 cruises in the past 4 years, and, like you, I've also been confused about what to order - but what the heck I thought, try something different. If I didn't like the food after tasting it, I didn't eat it. But meals in the MDR are more than one course, so I certainly didn't starve. If I was seated at a table with other people, I didn't ask for a different dish on any particular course during the meal because that might have delayed the service of others at the table. One exception was when four of us at the same table of six (not on a Princess ship) ordered the same dessert and it was gawd-awful. We four then asked for and received a different dessert. (Actually, it was a pretty funny scene as the four of us took the first bite and tried not to react - the entire table broke out in laughter at our facial expressions.)

You wrote that you want to get the max out of your trip - something I think we all have in common. I don't expect too much out of mass produced meals on a cruise ship, so when a magical meal happens, I'm a very happy camper (or more aptly, a happy cruiser). Meals, to me, do not make the cruise, but I have enjoyed those occasions where a particular item was to my taste.

But in answer to your question - from my limited experience, yes, passengers do request a different course if they are unhappy with what they have ordered, as others have said previously. If your tablemate/s and you don't mind the delay, I'm sure your request will be accomodated within reason. Just my personal opinion, but when I make special requests to the dining room staff, added gratuities are well earned.

Please let us know how it works out for you. Bon Voyage, -S.

Archived