AFRICA - Land Tour

ilovhywd

I know the purpose of these boards is to discuss shore excursions, but I am so addicted to Cruise Critic and respect the advice of members. So I hope CC won't delete this post if I ask about land tours.

I am not asking for the names of specific tour operators (unless you wish to recommend someone), but I'm confused with the wide choice of countries to visit.

I would love to hear your experiences in Tanzania, Kenya, Botswana, South Africa, Namibia, etc. Which wildlife parks were the highlights of your visit?

Thanks for any info.

Ilene

We've visited Kenya, Tanzania and Botswana for wildlife, but not the other two. If this is your first time, I would suggest you should make sure to include the Masai Mara in Kenya, or Serengeti in Tanzania among the parks visited. These two will virtually guarantee you see lots of animals, although they do tend to be busy in terms of numbers of visitors.

Botswana is much quieter and more expensive, with fewer animals to see, but a fascinating and different place.

If you have an interest in birdlife as well, that would be good - they are everywhere even if the animals aren't. On our last trip to Kenya, we saw over 170 different species in a week.

Hope this helps?

On our last trip to Kenya, we saw over 170 different species in a week.

Hope this helps?

We'll be 9 days in Kenya and 10 in Tanzania in Nov./Dec....I'm excited about that number of birds (in addition to the mammals, of course)!

Hi Ilene

As far as South Africa is concerned, the Sabi Sands and Kruger Park are the highlight for a safari IMO. South Africa has so much to see and experience so it might be an idea to combine a cruise to Cape Town with 5 days in that beautiful city and another 5 days inland doing a safari and experiencing the sights in Johannesburg. I know TripAdvisor has loads of info too with regards to safaris.

Good luck!

We'll be 9 days in Kenya and 10 in Tanzania in Nov./Dec....I'm excited about that number of birds (in addition to the mammals, of course)!

With that length of time, you should be able to see all you want, and visit a good number of different park habitats. It is worth getting a decent bird book, ideally a Field Guide: not really for identification purposes as your guides should do that, but more for when you're told "that flash of colour over the river was a malachite kingfisher", you can see what it looks like keeping still!

One other thing; we've found that some of the guides assume all anyone wants to see is big animals, so tell them at the start you want birds as well.

Yes, birds are definitely a priority for me, as my hobby is bird photography. I hope be as lucky as Sekhmet and see many birds.

I'll need 4 hands: 2 on the camera, 1 for the binoculars, and 1 for the pen to write down the names as fast as I can.

Mytime53 - I would love to see a trip report if you write one and post it to this thread.

Mercury - South Africa is a possibility we will consider!

Have been to Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa..all multiple times..each is different..Serengeti is spectacular, Kenya is wonderful, loved the Ngorongoro Crater..a lifelong dream, love South Africa..you can't go wrong with any of them! A place to start for Land Cruises is Overseas Adventure Travel. You can also do a cruise that ends up in Cape Town and Fly up to a game park.Another good park in South Africa is Chobe..wherever you choose you will love it!! We would go back every year if we could!

Sherry

I live in Jhb and no it's not dangerous. Obviously don't walk alone at night in an unsafe area (true of most countries) and if you're worried use a reputable tour company and let them do the driving.

Ask all the tourists who came here for the Soccer World Cup - a great time was had by all.

• 1 month later...

My DW and I spent 5 weeks visiting: South Africa, Zambia & Zimbabwe (The Falls and Mosi O Tunya), Botswana (Chobe---including fabulous River cruise), Kenya and Tanzania (including driving across the Eastern escarpment from Nairobi to the Mara & across the Serengeti in Tanzania---stopping to see Lake Victoria).

It was spectacular and, of course, not for the feint of heart. But on balance it was probably our most enriching and memorable trip ever---is the last trip always the best?! I would add that Soweto seemed like the Hampton s compared to Johannesburg! Life expectancy in the Hillbrow district can't be more than a few hours for anyone that might seem to have money. Our driver/guide was quite uneasy when I jumped out to take some pictures at Gandhi Square, and to see the huge Carlton Hotel just shuddered was sad. Privately the whites speak of the end of their existence there, even in Cape Town. I believe South Africans immigrate to Australia in the greatest numbers.

Go to Africa while it is still magical! Go, just be careful. And when you are out of the cities there is nothing in the world like it.

Great Sun-downers!

Larinconada

I did a 10 day trip through Kenya this past June. So many animals and different types of fowl!!!! I took just over 5000 photos (gotta love digital and continuous shoot!). My group did time in the Samburu National Reserve, the area around Nanyuki, Lake Nakuru, and the Maasai Mara. The Samburu National Reserve ended up being far less crowded, yet we saw plenty of animals and birds in what seemed like a "boutique" setting. Lake Nakura was amazing for all the pink flamingos! And, we were told that it wasn't a prime time, that many of the flamingos were still down at the other lake!!! I mean, there were thousands of these birds in the water!!!

I don't think anyone could be disappointed with anyplace they would go for safari. You get up close with these animals in a way that I didn't think we would. It was truly a lifetime trip that will be long remembered.

Privately the whites speak of the end of their existence there, even in Cape Town. I believe South Africans immigrate to Australia in the greatest numbers.

Go to Africa while it is still magical! Go, just be careful. And when you are out of the cities there is nothing in the world like it.

Great Sun-downers!

Larinconada

As a white South African I find this post to be way out of context. You must have met some real depressed/dramatic types :rolleyes:

There are plenty of us still living here quite happily and the people you met are in the minority. What makes you think the magic is going to end?

• 2 weeks later...

I had forgotten about posting on this thread, so I'm glad I came back and read what has been written since my last visit...we're excited about our upcoming trip.

I have a question I hope someone can answer...has anyone taken the overnight train from Nairobi to Mombasa? If so, what was your experience?

• 2 weeks later...
So nice to see this thread. We leave in 22 days for South Africa 2 weeks on safaris. Love to check back and hear where others have been and the wonderful experiences.

Safe travels.

I am also planning a first trip to South Africa in 2012. What would be a "beginners" tour? We are thinking Victoria Falls, Cape Town, etc. Are there any message boards that discuss land tours? I think there used to be but I can't find them. Thanks for any advice. Judy

I am also planning a first trip to South Africa in 2012. What would be a "beginners" tour? We are thinking Victoria Falls, Cape Town, etc. Are there any message boards that discuss land tours? I think there used to be but I can't find them. Thanks for any advice. Judy

Hi tobes,

Yes Cape Town is always a good start! For a safari, Kruger Park is great or one of the private parks like Sabi Sands or Madikwe (which is malaria free). If you do a search (of this Africa board), you will find many recommendations on tour companies.

Vic Falls is in Zimbabwe/ Zambia (you can see the falls from either country although Zambia is probably the best bet (try Royal Livingstone hotel).

Have a great trip!

tobes, I would say March is the best month to go. It's still hot and sunny (but not too hot). Cape Town has rainy winters so you want to avoid June to Aug/Sep. March is also a month that South African children are generally not on school vacation (unless Easter is in March, not April) so you don't travel at a busy time. The weather for safaris is also good as the cold mornings and nights have not set in.

• 4 months later...
What's the best month to go?

Sorry, I totally forgot about checking back. We had a great time. Best month really depends on where you go and what you would like to do. Summer months are good for beach and being out and about. End of winter -beginning of Spring is good for Safari. IMO Not too hot for animals and the trees haven't leafed out as much making it much easier to see everything. We had a great time and weather going to end of Sept-Oct.

Fodors website has a great forum and very helpful people with everything you would ever want to know about South Africa. Maybe give them a try, too.

We will be on an Oceana (Nautica cruise) and would very much like to take in a Game Reserve; these are some possibilities: The Phinda Game Reserve; Shishangeni Game Reserve anyone gone on any of these tours?

Is there anyone going on the Oceana cruise (Nautica) December 5th - Dubai to Cape town????

We will be on an Oceana (Nautica cruise) and would very much like to take in a Game Reserve; these are some possibilities: The Phinda Game Reserve; Shishangeni Game Reserve anyone gone on any of these tours?

Is there anyone going on the Oceana cruise (Nautica) December 5th - Dubai to Cape town????

I am not on this cruise, but I was at Phinda in September. We went to 3 different camps over 2 weeks, Phinda and 2 others in the Kruger-Sabi Sands area.

They were all great. Phinda was amazing!!! I would go back with absolutely no hesitation. It was one of the most amazing trips we've ever been on.

Have a wonderful time.

Archived