Veggie Burgers?

cruisinJenF

I was just reading a wonderful review by CapsR1 and they mentioned the Pride had Veggie Burgers on the Lido deck. Has anyone seen these on other ships? I am hoping it is fleetwide and makes my day if it is true!! My son has become a very strict Vegetarian since his last cruise and we are hoping for a cruise this winter and he would be thrilled to know there are Veggie Burgers! :D

Thanks so much everyone!!

If I remember correctly you can request them at the grill. It may take them a few minutes to make one. Don't know if he's vegan or not or whether or not they contain dairy or egg. They may also be cooked on the same grill as the reall burgers. Don't know how picky he is since you said "strict" vegetarian.

Had one on the Freedom and it was disgusting.

I got it from the aft grill. What surprised me was that it was deep fried. Not exactly how I expect my veggie burgers.

Thanks everyone! At least this will be another choice for him while on the cruise. And I think veggie burgers are disgusting too- same with Tofu :eek: but he thinks its tasty and loves all veggie burgers!! I could NEVER be a vegetarian but we try to support his choice.

Thanks for all the help everyone!! Happy Cruising!

I was just reading a wonderful review by CapsR1 and they mentioned the Pride had Veggie Burgers on the Lido deck. Has anyone seen these on other ships? I am hoping it is fleetwide and makes my day if it is true!! My son has become a very strict Vegetarian since his last cruise and we are hoping for a cruise this winter and he would be thrilled to know there are Veggie Burgers! :D

Thanks so much everyone!!

Jen! Please let your son know that there are not only veggie burgers, but Carnival has tons of vegetarian options available 24 hours a day. It is available fleetwide!

I've sailed lots of cruiselines, and Carnival really does vegetarian the best.

They've got great Veggie burgers at the Lido Grill, I love the De Chevre Pizza, and even vegetable sushi!

2368815320079337728S425x425Q85.jpg2294587870079337728S425x425Q85.jpg

Here's a Foccacia Grilled Vegetable sandwich with Aoili and a Toasted Peanut Butter and Jelly from Room Service! Yum!

2866905530079337728S425x425Q85.jpg2745086300079337728S425x425Q85.jpg

First of all, you might like to check out this thread, where I did a non-meat food review on a short Carnival cruise (with pictures!)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627148

(click on that link there)

Then, here is an example of a Carnival Menu on all the non-meat options available for dinner in the dining room (This is done on an old menu, and I do to go through the new dining room menus to update this list, which I should be doing in a few weeks - but for now it gives you lots of ideas of the specific Vegetarian options available):

Dinner Menu - Day 1

Starters and Salads

Tropical Fruits Marinated with Lime Juice and a Touch of Tequila

Crema Di Funghi Selvatica

Gazpacho Andalouse

Mixed Garden and Field Greens

Hearts of Romaine Lettuce with Cherry Tomatoes

Main Courses

Ziti with Italian Sausage, Assorted Bell Peppers and Fresh Mushrooms (they’ll make this without the sausage)

Madras-Style Vegetable Curry

Desserts and Cheeses

Orange Cake

Guava Cheese Napoleon

Decadence of Chocolate

Black Forest Gateau

Ice Cream - Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry Butter Pecan

Sherbet - Orange, Pineapple, Lime

Cheeses - Port Salut, Brie, Gouda, Imported Swiss, Danish Bleu

Dinner Menu - Day 2

Starters and Salads

Fantasy of Tropical Fruit Berries

Ragout of Wild Mushrooms

Strawberry Bisque

Main Courses

Trennette Putanesca (you can ask for this pasta without anchovies)

Grilled Brochettes of Fresh Garden Vegetables

Desserts and Cheeses

Banana Gateau

Swedish Almond Chocolate Cake

Passion Fruit Indulgence

Cherries Jubilee

Dinner Menu - Day 3

Starters and Salads

Tender Hearts of Tropical Palm and California Artichokes

Chilled Cucumber Soup

Hearts of Iceberg Lettuce

Main Courses

Penne Mariscos (ask for this without the shrimp/scallops)

Baked Herb Polenta

Desserts and Cheeses

Marbled Kahlua Cheesecake

Key Lime Pie

Chocolate Souffle

Dinner Menu - Day 4

Starters and Salads

Grilled Baby Vegetables

Chilled Cream of Lyches

Hearts of California Artichokes, Vine-Ripened Tomatoes, Fennel Roots

Main Courses

Farfalle with Smoked Turkey Tenderloin and Green Asparagus Tips (obviously ask for this without turkey)

Black Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas

Desserts and Cheeses

Coconut Cake

Old Fashioned Apple Pie

Tiramisu

Chocolate Tres-Leches

Dinner Menu - Day 5

Starters and Salads

Vine-Ripened Beefsteak Tomatoes and Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella

Southwestern-Style Egg Roll

Curly Endive and Thinly Sliced Cucumbers

Main Courses

Penne Tossed in a Tomato-Cream Sauce with Vodka and Caviar (you can ask for this without caviar)

Vegetarian Lasagna with Spinach, Mushrooms and Ricotta Cheese

Desserts and Cheeses

SC Lemon Cake

Strawberry Cheesecake

Chocolate Mousse

Hazelnut Creme Brulee

Dinner Menu - Day 6

Starters and Salads

Freshly Grilled Portabella Mushroom and Hand-Picked Mesclun Lettuce

Main Courses

Penne Siciliana

Assorted Fresh Vegetable Princess

Desserts and Cheeses

Tropical Fruit Platter

Baked Alaska

Amaretto Cake

Dutch Apple Pie

Dinner Menu - Day 7

Starters and Salads

Chilled Supreme of Fresh Fruit with Peach Schnapps

Mango Cream

Vine-Ripened Tomatoes and Cucumber Slices with Fresh Chives

Main Courses

Fettuccine Tossed in a Mushroom Cream

Zucchini and Eggplant Parmigiana

Desserts and Cheeses

Poached Williams Pear

Grand Marnier Souffle

Chocolate Fudge Cake

Cappuccino Pie

Enjoy!

Carnival also does fantastic Vegan as well as Vegetarian.

These are all 100% Vegan dishes that I've had in the main dining rooms on Carnival cruises. I've tried to label what I remember, there are more, but it was too much to all fit in one picture.

34e13403594cd2d71ca8acaff338a5c7.jpg

They do Vegan well on Carnival!

Also, one thing to mention...

Just make sure your TA or PVP puts it in your dining room request/reservation notes at least 2 weeks before the cruise.

Make sure that you bring some kind of Vegan protein (bars, snacks, whatever) just for extra protein backup (makes it all easier at buffets and the rest of the vacation in ports).

Talk to the Maitre'D the first afternoon or night you are there.

Don't expect full Vegan menu ready on the first night, but ask them to bring it out so you can start picking and choosing for the next days and nights on the rest of the cruise!

These are all items from the main Vegan Menu that they have in the back, so be sure to ask for it!

Enjoy and let me know if you have any more questions!:D

I doubt if putting it in your dining reservation 2 weeks before departure will make a bit of difference. This is something the Maitre d' or Headwaiter needs to know, and you do need to keep on top of it by checking menus a day ahead of time. But it is not as if the ship galley changes its stock because a vegan is coming aboard.

Bill (a vegan by doctor's choice, not mine:()

Thanks CJW for all the fantastic information!!! That was very VERY helpful and I really appreciate it- Thank You!! Luckily he is not a Vegan so it does make things a little easier for us since he will eat dairy and eggs. :)

Thanks CJW for all the fantastic information!!! That was very VERY helpful and I really appreciate it- Thank You!! Luckily he is not a Vegan so it does make things a little easier for us since he will eat dairy and eggs. :)

You are SO very Welcome Jen!

Like I've said before, I've sailed lots of different cruiselines since I was a baby - and have been a Vegetarian most of my life - and believe it or not, Carnival really has the absolute best Vegetarian food options around!

I just present the Vegan options for anyone reading or curious for the future; as I've tried them out (and taken pictures) over the past few years - and they're great.

Bear in mind that there is always a "technically labeled" Vegetarian option on the dinner menu every evening - but you don't have to just stick to that alone.

That is why I've literally researched the ingredients to the above menu - as all of those are also Vegetarian.

There's a few Vegetarian items that I like, that I have not gotten pictures of yet - as I seem to always eat them too fast before I remember to take a picture (but hopefully I'll remember on my upcoming cruise - then I'll add them to my Vegetarian food option collages)...

I highly recommend the Portabello Mushroom and Spinach Sushi!

I highly recommend the Stuffed Mushroom appetizer/starter in the main Dining Room on whatever night they serve that.

There is also an option for plain pasta on every evening in the Dining Room.

There is usually one night, where they serve fresh fried Mozzarella Cheese as an appetizer/starter. They serve it with fresh Marinara.

On that night, I like to order two servings of that; then an order of plain pasta. Dump the fresh fried Mozzarella Cheese appetizer/starter on top of the plain pasta; dump on the fresh Marinara - and VOILA! Literally the best fresh Italian Pasta Dinner of the entire cruise!

(I've had several tablemates over the years copy this after me, because it is really good and fresh!)

Finally, if you are so inclined to make it to the Dining Room for breakfast (as opposed to the Lido Buffet) - they will make you Eggs Florentine!

Awesome!

It's like Eggs Benedict, but instead of Ham/Meat, it's fresh spinach.

It's always fresher than anyone ordering the Eggs Benedict - because they make it immediately fresh for your order.

My carnivore wife has taken to ordering the Eggs Florentine with me for breakfast, as she likes it better than the pre-prepared Eggs Benedict!

Just a few helpful hints, and let me know if you or your son have any more questions that I can help you out with!

Enjoy!

:D

three more items-

Vegetarian Indian options can be preordered the night before.

The pumpkin soup and the yam/cheddar/cinnamon pot pie are very good.

Sometimes the pot pie can be found on the buffet.

Archived