Will this work re: blocking off room for baby?

purplefanatic22

Hi all. This is my first official post, but I've been reading through the boards for quite some time as I prepare for my first cruise with a little one. (I've been on 2 cruises previously). My DD is 14 months old and we are sailing RCI Allure in about a week. I've read several different things that I've made a note of, but one in particular that I wanted to question in regards to making a "room" in a part of the statement to keep the PnP.

Someone mentioned using velcro and a sheet to do this. I'm wondering if I could use a black sheet and put velcro on one side of the sheet and attach it to the ceiling and/or wall to kind of create a little room for her. I'm not sure of the dimensions of the rooms height wise, so I'm not sure if this idea will work. Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

I have done something like this in hotel rooms when my kids were very young. But instead of velcro, I used a strong tape, like packing tape, or electrical tape. Also, if you used velcro tape, with stick on one side, then you do it that way also. I found it worked well.

Light will shine right through a black sheet. Be careful using any kind of tape/velcro that you don't take the finish off the ceiling with it. Can't you just put a blanket over the top of the Pack-N-Play?

Light will shine right through a black sheet. Be careful using any kind of tape/velcro that you don't take the finish off the ceiling with it. Can't you just put a blanket over the top of the Pack-N-Play?

I thought of that, but I'm afraid that might not allow enough air to circulate around her or that she might be hot.

I'm not sure that I understand why baby would need a separate "room" like this. What category stateroom are you in? If you're interior and hoping to be active while baby naps, a better plan might be to bring a reclining umbrella stroller and try to get baby to nap while you walk the ship. But, even if you stay inside, light doesn't usually wake a sleeping toddler, so if you're quietly active you should be fine even if it's not dark in the room. If you've got a balcony, go outside.

I was just on the Alllure last month and traveled with our 12 month old.

I was rather nervous about sleeping in the same room as my DD as well and having our movements/presence/noise affect her sleep---I'd looked into fixing up a sheet to block off the room to her too, but chose not to in the end.

I'll tell you that it went well and she slept great.

Here's a picture of the room and the ceiling if that helps:

IMG0979-M.jpg

IMG0972-M.jpg

I thought of that, but I'm afraid that might not allow enough air to circulate around her or that she might be hot.

We did this when we were moving about the room and it worked fine. We took the cover off when we sat on the balcony or went to bed. It was on for maybe 20 mins top. Plus, the sides are mesh so there is still air flow there.

Personally, my kid would rip the sheets down if I tried to rig up something like what you're describing so I wouldn't bother!

Good luck!

Princess has always been able to separate the mini-suite rooms to allow this, but just in case, I always bring a very long piece of double-sided velcro. I put one piece on the ceiling (pretty sticky, but I tested it and it wouldn't do any damage) and then the other on the sheet. Then you put the two pieces of velcro together. Works like a charm.

Princess has always been able to separate the mini-suite rooms to allow this, but just in case, I always bring a very long piece of double-sided velcro. I put one piece on the ceiling (pretty sticky, but I tested it and it wouldn't do any damage) and then the other on the sheet. Then you put the two pieces of velcro together. Works like a charm.

This is exactly what I was picturing. One piece of velcro on the sheet(s) and the other on the ceiling. Glad to hear it worked for someone!

Honestly I can understand what your trying to do. when at home my kids will only sleep in their room with the door shut lights off etc. They will not sleep in the living room. Etc. But when I took my kids to my brothers to visit he lives 20 hrs away we had a room for them to stay in but it didnt matter. my 13 mo old didnt even wanna sleep in her pack n play she wanted to sleep by momma- it was a security thing I guess new environment. By the third night she would start off in the pack n play but that at 2 am be crying for momma. NEW SURROUNDINGS YIKES. But once I held her she went right to bed.

Basically baby will sleep as long as momma and dad are there. They will adjust. By the 2nd day she would take short naps in her pack n play but at night she had to be in bed by me. We dont ever co sleep she is a crib baby lol but ya know take them out of their environment and thats what happens.

Archived