Queen Elizabeth 2

Milwaukeeee

I'm confused. I read about an interesting Panama Canal cruise on QE2 that sounds terrific. Have enjoyed 8 cruised but this would be the first on Cunard. So, coming to Cruise Critic to start the research the first thing I see and read are posts that she no longer is owned by Cunard and I see nothing about the Panama cruise listed. It's sponsored by a local TA and it's called a 17 day cruise in January, 2012. What am I missing? Thanks.

Yes Milwaukeeee, I think we are talking about the new Queen Elizabeth.

Your 17 day Panama Canal cruise in January 2012 is probably the second segment of the Queen Elizabeth's 2012 World Voyage. That 17-day segment departs New York on January 18, 2012 and arrives in San Francisco on February 4. The transit of the Panama Canal is January 25.

Does this sound like the itinerary your TA is sponsoring?

Regards,

John.

Wow...cruise critic people are the best. Thanks for your response. I am so excited to know this is a newer ship, not one drug out from Dubai. I couldn't figure out why they would do that. Anyway, now I have to find CC info about this Panama Canal trip. You are the greatest.

Wow...cruise critic people are the best. Thanks for your response. I am so excited to know this is a newer ship, not one drug out from Dubai. I couldn't figure out why they would do that. Anyway, now I have to find CC info about this Panama Canal trip. You are the greatest.

Out of interest, what does drug out mean?

Sorry about that. I was thinking that the good QE2 has been sitting unused in Dubai since 2008 so it probably would have to be "hauled out", dragged out" or "pulled out" of it's parking space. Did you think I was meaning cleaned out of drugs? No, drugged/past tense of drug????? :)

Oh, were it but possible. There would be legions clamoring to get on board that grand vessel, all to soon put out of service.

I sailed in QE2 several times & the last time was on the NYC - LA Panama Canal cruise.....the trip itself was wonderful but the hilight was the QE2....not only was it the start of her annual world cruise, the ship itself sailed like no other - specifically built to handle the 7 seas - and she did wonderfully.

Many people on these boards lament her sale......oh what a great ship in the traditional sense.......it was more Bergdorf Goodman & less Macys....enjoy your cruise its a great one!

Sorry about that. I was thinking that the good QE2 has been sitting unused in Dubai since 2008 so it probably would have to be "hauled out", dragged out" or "pulled out" of it's parking space. Did you think I was meaning cleaned out of drugs? No, drugged/past tense of drug????? :)

I sailed in QE2 several times & the last time was on the NYC - LA Panama Canal cruise.....the trip itself was wonderful but the hilight was the QE2....not only was it the start of her annual world cruise, the ship itself sailed like no other - specifically built to handle the 7 seas - and she did wonderfully.

Many people on these boards lament her sale......oh what a great ship in the traditional sense.......it was more Bergdorf Goodman & less Macys....enjoy your cruise its a great one!

If you get a chance read " A Path Between THe SEas" a great history of the building of the Pnama Canal.

Thanks for clarifying Milwaukee - I was worried when I read drugs and my beloved QE2 in the same sentence!! Wish she was back in service - would be clamouring to sail on her again. Hope you enjoy your voyage on the Queen Elizabeth if you decide to sail on her - I am sure you will love both her and Cunard.

Thanks to the both of you. Now you are making me wish that I too had the experience of sailing on her. I think we will enjoy joining this part of a World Cruise that QE wil be doing January 2012. Can't believe some lucky passengers are shelling out 21 thousand dollars apiece for the adventure. Must be nice. Again, thanks for your infor and comments.l

If you get a chance read " A Path Between THe SEas" a great history of the building of the Pnama Canal.

Or that the QE2 was more Saks 5th Avenue than Macy's.Isn't Saks 5th Avenue the most expensive department store in Midtown Manhattan? I do remember going into the Saks 5th Avenue store located at 5th Avenue between 49th and 50th Street and going up to the men's department and saw really nice men's suits for around $2,000.Oh well back to Sears or Macy's for me.Anyway concerning building the new Panama Canal locks that open in 2014 for Post Panamax Ships like the QM2, will the QM2 still be able to sail under both bridges that are over the Panama Canal? Does anyone know the answer to this question? Regards,Jerry

Bergdorf Goodman is quite a bit more upscale than SAKS......lots of boutique merchandise...

It is more old NYC with a cutting edge on fashion & luxury goods. Located on 5th Avenue & 57th street....I love the store, its service & unique merchandise....I had a saleswoman talk me out of buying a winter coat there in 1980, and I shopped with her til she retired a couple of years ago.....and I still shop both the Mens store & the main store....the home floor is wonderful & you won't see anyone else wearing what you buy there.

I have done the Panama Canal twice now - QE2 Westbound & Azamara Eastbound....whenit is widened it should be worth another trip.....I found it facinating & a great alternative to Carib & Mexico cruises in the winter.

Or that the QE2 was more Saks 5th Avenue than Macy's.Isn't Saks 5th Avenue the most expensive department store in Midtown Manhattan? I do remember going into the Saks 5th Avenue store located at 5th Avenue between 49th and 50th Street and going up to the men's department and saw really nice men's suits for around $2,000.Oh well back to Sears or Macy's for me.Anyway concerning building the new Panama Canal locks that open in 2014 for Post Panamax Ships like the QM2, will the QM2 still be able to sail under both bridges that are over the Panama Canal? Does anyone know the answer to this question? Regards,Jerry

• 7 months later...
any cruise critic meetings planned for the 01/1812 7 day panama canal on the qe3?

Hi, have you checked the ROLL CALL section on the main boards page? All you need to do is click on CUNARD and then Queen Elizabeth and then look for your sailing date. If nothing is there, start a thread!!

Archived