Alaska on the Pearl questions

cntwait2cruz

Just got off the Pearl on Sunday; my third Alaska cruise, my brother's fifth. I woke up on Saturday (6/4), thought "I want to go back up to Alaska", called him up, and we immediately starting calling cruise lines. (We both have awesome spouses who couldn't go but told us to go have fun without them!) Didn't care what cruise line we ended up with, but we definitely enjoyed the Pearl (my second NCL cruise, his third). Some random thoughts:

1) Don't feel like if you don't spend a ton of money on flight seeing tours, etc., that you won't have a good time. There's much to see/do that doesn't cost much. All of the ports are very walkable. The Alaska State Museum ($5), Juneau, is walking distance from the pier, as are the Tongass Historical Museum ($2) and Southeast Alaska Discovery Center ($5) in Ketchikan. I don't remember whether or not there's an entrance fee to the Klondike Gold Rush Museum in Skagway, but it's also worth seeing.

2) I booked my rental car at Avis in Skagway four days before we were going to be there. They have more cars available than you'd think, so if the week before you cruise you decide you want to rent a car, you may still be able to.

3) Every port has many, many different companies selling tours at the pier, always cheaper than through the cruise line. For that reason, I NEVER book anything ahead of time. Most of the companies that run buses out to Mendenhall charge $16.00 round trip; all are reputable, all will get you to/from without any problems.

4) For flight seeing trips, feel free to barter; if they aren't getting many takers, you might be able to talk them down a couple of bucks. My husband was successful in knocking $20 off the cost of his Misty Fjords flight when we were up there together several years ago.

5) Support the locals, not the cruise lines: walk several blocks from the pier and do your shopping only at stores with "Alaska Native owned" or "Locally owned" in the window. I cringe when we pull into the ports and see everyone get off the ship and head straight to Diamonds International, Del Sol, etc. There's a reason they ask you what ship you're on when you make a purchase there.

6) Be patient and diligent (and bring binoculars) and you will see wildlife. I spent hours on the sun deck (14) and was rewarded with many, many sightings of humpback whales, seals, otters, eagles, and my favorites, Dall's Porpoises. We saw dozens of them, swimming just off the bow of the ship, as we were headed for Victoria on Saturday.

7) Driving the Klondike Highway up into the Yukon Territory was the high point of this trip, for me. We had beautiful weather and were lucky enough to be able to get up close and personal (10-15 feet) with not one, not two, but three black bears! And Emerald Lake is even more beautiful in person than it is in pictures. If you're going to do it, be sure to stop in at the visitor's center in Carcross to get your passport stamped!

8) I was disappointed that on the Pearl we could only get ice water or iced tea at the Garden Cafe, no juice (except for very weak orange juice at breakfast) I love the lemonade and fruit punch on Carnival's ships; the next time I cruise with NCL, I'll remember to bring packets of Crystal Light. Also, if you're a Coke person, bring your own. NCL carries Pepsi products. The Pearl, though, is a beautiful ship and every member of the staff we had contact with was wonderful! Be sure to introduce yourself to Lea when you walk into the Garden Cafe and she greets you with "Washy, washy" and sprays your hands; she's a real gem!

9) I've come to the realization that I am, indeed, a balcony snob! This was my 8th cruise, first without a balcony (we had a porthole room), and I really did miss being able to go out there first thing in the morning, bathrobe on and with a blanket wrapped around me, and just take all that beautiful scenery in! If you're still in the planning stages for an Alaska cruise, spend the extra money for a balcony; it is so, so worth it!

Alaska is such a dream destination; I feel fortunate that I live in the Seattle area and can take these cruises at pretty much a moment's notice. Who knows...maybe I'll go back up again later in the season! ;)

Hopfeully the wait list frees up but thanks for these tips. We are from East Coast and spending two days in Seattle before our departure on July 3, what would recommend as must sees in Seattle. Recommendation for best waterfront view restaurant?

Just got off the Pearl on Sunday; my third Alaska cruise, my brother's fifth. I woke up on Saturday (6/4), thought "I want to go back up to Alaska", called him up, and we immediately starting calling cruise lines. (We both have awesome spouses who couldn't go but told us to go have fun without them!) Didn't care what cruise line we ended up with, but we definitely enjoyed the Pearl (my second NCL cruise, his third). Some random thoughts:

1) Don't feel like if you don't spend a ton of money on flight seeing tours, etc., that you won't have a good time. There's much to see/do that doesn't cost much. All of the ports are very walkable. The Alaska State Museum ($5), Juneau, is walking distance from the pier, as are the Tongass Historical Museum ($2) and Southeast Alaska Discovery Center ($5) in Ketchikan. I don't remember whether or not there's an entrance fee to the Klondike Gold Rush Museum in Skagway, but it's also worth seeing.

2) I booked my rental car at Avis in Skagway four days before we were going to be there. They have more cars available than you'd think, so if the week before you cruise you decide you want to rent a car, you may still be able to.

3) Every port has many, many different companies selling tours at the pier, always cheaper than through the cruise line. For that reason, I NEVER book anything ahead of time. Most of the companies that run buses out to Mendenhall charge $16.00 round trip; all are reputable, all will get you to/from without any problems.

4) For flight seeing trips, feel free to barter; if they aren't getting many takers, you might be able to talk them down a couple of bucks. My husband was successful in knocking $20 off the cost of his Misty Fjords flight when we were up there together several years ago.

5) Support the locals, not the cruise lines: walk several blocks from the pier and do your shopping only at stores with "Alaska Native owned" or "Locally owned" in the window. I cringe when we pull into the ports and see everyone get off the ship and head straight to Diamonds International, Del Sol, etc. There's a reason they ask you what ship you're on when you make a purchase there.

6) Be patient and diligent (and bring binoculars) and you will see wildlife. I spent hours on the sun deck (14) and was rewarded with many, many sightings of humpback whales, seals, otters, eagles, and my favorites, Dall's Porpoises. We saw dozens of them, swimming just off the bow of the ship, as we were headed for Victoria on Saturday.

7) Driving the Klondike Highway up into the Yukon Territory was the high point of this trip, for me. We had beautiful weather and were lucky enough to be able to get up close and personal (10-15 feet) with not one, not two, but three black bears! And Emerald Lake is even more beautiful in person than it is in pictures. If you're going to do it, be sure to stop in at the visitor's center in Carcross to get your passport stamped!

8) I was disappointed that on the Pearl we could only get ice water or iced tea at the Garden Cafe, no juice (except for very weak orange juice at breakfast) I love the lemonade and fruit punch on Carnival's ships; the next time I cruise with NCL, I'll remember to bring packets of Crystal Light. Also, if you're a Coke person, bring your own. NCL carries Pepsi products. The Pearl, though, is a beautiful ship and every member of the staff we had contact with was wonderful! Be sure to introduce yourself to Lea when you walk into the Garden Cafe and she greets you with "Washy, washy" and sprays your hands; she's a real gem!

9) I've come to the realization that I am, indeed, a balcony snob! This was my 8th cruise, first without a balcony (we had a porthole room), and I really did miss being able to go out there first thing in the morning, bathrobe on and with a blanket wrapped around me, and just take all that beautiful scenery in! If you're still in the planning stages for an Alaska cruise, spend the extra money for a balcony; it is so, so worth it!

Alaska is such a dream destination; I feel fortunate that I live in the Seattle area and can take these cruises at pretty much a moment's notice. Who knows...maybe I'll go back up again later in the season! ;)

Hopfeully the wait list frees up but thanks for these tips. We are from East Coast and spending two days in Seattle before our departure on July 3, what would recommend as must sees in Seattle. Recommendation for best waterfront view restaurant?

Hi, I love in Southeastern Washington and come to Seattle often. My favorite waterfront restaurant is Ivar's Acres of Clams at Pier 54.It is right next door to the fire house and the ferry terminal. It has been open since 1938. I love to go to the Space Needle for lunch, it is a revolving restaurant almost to the top of The Needle (600 ft up). On a clear day you can see a long way. Anthony's is another waterfront seafood restaurant at Pier 66, next door to the NCL terminal. If you go on Saturday, The Star will be parked there. Hope this helps. Mandy

Thanks for the restuarant tips. Have you eaten at Salty's at Alki Beach? Any other Sleepless in Seattle locations you can recommend?

Hi, I love in Southeastern Washington and come to Seattle often. My favorite waterfront restaurant is Ivar's Acres of Clams at Pier 54.It is right next door to the fire house and the ferry terminal. It has been open since 1938. I love to go to the Space Needle for lunch, it is a revolving restaurant almost to the top of The Needle (600 ft up). On a clear day you can see a long way. Anthony's is another waterfront seafood restaurant at Pier 66, next door to the NCL terminal. If you go on Saturday, The Star will be parked there. Hope this helps. Mandy

Thanks for the restuarant tips. Have you eaten at Salty's at Alki Beach? Any other Sleepless in Seattle locations you can recommend?

Hi, No I have not been to Salty's in a long time. I heard once that it was closing, do not know if it did or not. Alki Beach is a long way from downtown. There is a West Seattle Ferry but I don't remember how close to Alki it comes. If you are into "Sleepless in Seattle" then you need to take the Argosy Tours 2 1/2 hour Locks Cruise. It goes right by the houseboat. According to my AAA Tour Book, Argosy Tours is on Pier 56 ( north of Ivar's). I hope you have a wonderful time in Seattle and on The Pearl. I can hardly wait to be back on The Pearl at the end of September. She is a great ship with a wonderful staff. Have fun. Mandy

Honestly, I'd go to Pike Place Market and eat at Lowell's! Fun, funky, great views of Elliott Bay and the Olympics, and a great mix of locals and out-of-towners! http://www.eatatlowells.com/

Another one I like is Chinook's located at Fisherman's Terminal.

http://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/info/chinooks.html

And, surprisingly, some of the smaller restaurants you'll pass as you walk along the waterfront are pretty good. My daughter and I love to pop into the Crab Pot for fresh sourdough bread and shrimp cocktail when we're in the mood!

As far as what to do: Pike Place Market (yes, it's a tourist trap and bound to be very crowded, but it really is a great place), Seattle Center, Burke Museum (University of Washington campus), Seattle waterfront/Olympic Sculpture Park. A ferryboat ride to either Winslow (35 minutes) or Bremerton (55 minutes) is fun on a nice, clear day. Winslow's closer, but Bremerton is a prettier ride, since you're going further, through narrow channels, etc. Seattle has a great transit system, so don't be afraid to ride Metro if there's someplace you want to go that's not walking distance. The Boeing Museum of Flight is worth the trip; very interesting. I'm not a big fan of Pioneer Square anymore; my favorite stores have moved out of that area, and more and more it's a haven for inebriates and druggies. Some beautiful old brick buildings, though, and the Seattle Underground Tour is down there.

Gosh, there's so much... If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. ;)

Cheryl,

We are on the same route as you in August on the Pearl. Please keep this thread going as I want to hear all about your trip!

In looking at the ports, Skagway is the longest port-of-call (12 hours). We have scheduled a helicopter glacier trek thingy (I know very technical for someone who's already on her cruise in her mind) but would love some other ideas besides the train. Anyone do something unique in Skagway?

I was on the Pearl on May 15th

I decided to go on a whale watching expedition with Orca and Captain Larry (excellent) in Juneau and see the glaciers in Skageway.

Since we had a full day there I did the Helicopter Glacier discovery trip in the morning. It was 20 minutes flying, 40 minutes on the glacier, basically in the same area without a long walk, and 20 minutes back.

This was my first time on a helicopter and my aprehensions ended about a half a second into take off. It was smooth and exciting all the way

It was back to the ship for lunch and then the White Pass railroad to Fraiser on the 3 1/2 hour tour with Chilkoot Charters. We totally lucked out with an empty van with just the two of us going up and a similarly empty private rail car going down. The other cars were packed but it turned out we were the only Chilkoot passengers so we got a whole car to ourselves.

In Ketchikan we did the Duck which was the low point of all my excursions. Skip and try to find something better. They went in the water it seems just to say "we go in the water" and was really very boring

The weather was great throught the trip and even Glacier Bay was not too cold

Enjoy your trip

Thanks for these tips. Was wondering. We are staying in Capital Hill section of Seattle for two nights, can you take transit easily from there to Cruise Ship, Safeco Field, Pikes Market? Do you know where I can find the transit maps and schedules?

Honestly, I'd go to Pike Place Market and eat at Lowell's! Fun, funky, great views of Elliott Bay and the Olympics, and a great mix of locals and out-of-towners! http://www.eatatlowells.com/

Another one I like is Chinook's located at Fisherman's Terminal.

http://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/info/chinooks.html

And, surprisingly, some of the smaller restaurants you'll pass as you walk along the waterfront are pretty good. My daughter and I love to pop into the Crab Pot for fresh sourdough bread and shrimp cocktail when we're in the mood!

As far as what to do: Pike Place Market (yes, it's a tourist trap and bound to be very crowded, but it really is a great place), Seattle Center, Burke Museum (University of Washington campus), Seattle waterfront/Olympic Sculpture Park. A ferryboat ride to either Winslow (35 minutes) or Bremerton (55 minutes) is fun on a nice, clear day. Winslow's closer, but Bremerton is a prettier ride, since you're going further, through narrow channels, etc. Seattle has a great transit system, so don't be afraid to ride Metro if there's someplace you want to go that's not walking distance. The Boeing Museum of Flight is worth the trip; very interesting. I'm not a big fan of Pioneer Square anymore; my favorite stores have moved out of that area, and more and more it's a haven for inebriates and druggies. Some beautiful old brick buildings, though, and the Seattle Underground Tour is down there.

Gosh, there's so much... If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. ;)

I know there is a computer lounge with charges, but if I wanted to use my own computer do they offer a wifi connection, any clue on what the charge is?

The have wifi throughout and the charges by the minute are the same as to use the computer center, the speed isnt peppy and they do have various specials to bring the price down, as I recall to about 40 cents a minute.

Here are a couple of links that may be useful.

Our Pearl review from last year.

NCL Pearl Review for May 2010

Our Alaska photo album from 2007 and 2010 on the Pearl

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roseoftexas/collections/72157601829385443/

Also, in my signature you will find a link for time lapse alaska cruises including 25 from the Pearl from all of last year and so far this year.

Thanks for these tips. Was wondering. We are staying in Capital Hill section of Seattle for two nights, can you take transit easily from there to Cruise Ship, Safeco Field, Pikes Market? Do you know where I can find the transit maps and schedules?

Seattle Metro has a great website; here it is:

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/

You can plug in the address of where you're staying and the address of where you're trying to get to and it'll give you all of your options.

Are you staying at the Sorrento? If so, unless you're mobility impaired (or just don't like to walk), you can walk to Pike Place Market, downtown, etc. from there. Seattle is very hilly, so from Capitol Hill you'll be going downhill; coming back to the hotel is all uphill.

We went on the Pearl from Seattle on May 29 this year and had a great time. The entertainment was very good, especially the Second City group and the comedian. Food was excellent although the main dining room menus didn't vary a lot. We tried to avoid the buffet as it was usually very crowded. Went to 2 specialty restaurants, Cagneys and La Cucina. Both were really excellent. The views from Spinnakers lounge were wonderful, especially when in Glacier Bay. Get there early to get a window seat. Highlights at port were definitely the helicopter ride and dog sledding in Juneau and the wilderness excursion with boat ride and canoe to glacier. Some of our group went salmon fishing for 5 hours and caught one salmon in Ketchikan so not the best experience. The rest of us saw the lumberjack show and shopped there. It was a fun show. Advice for shopping for jewelery in Ketchikan - bargain, bargain, bargain. There are hundreds of jewelery shops there. In Victoria we just walked to the downtown area and looked at the street performers and sights. Not a lot of shops were open in the evening. We did see seals close to the dock. Have a great trip!

Does anyone have any "must see" things to do in Skagway???

If you want some spectacular scenery and you're lucky with the weather, you can't go wrong with the Yukon & White Pass railway.

Trains leave from right in front of the ships, take you up through the mountains to the Canadian border at White Pass, and then back down again.

Rent a car and head north on the Klondike Highway. It follows basically the same route as the train (runs parallel, but slightly to the west) and you can stop to get out and look around to your heart's content. Cheaper, too! Did this two weeks ago and I think it was the high point of the cruise for me (third time up).

Skagway itself is small enough that you can wander around and see everything in a couple of hours. The Gold Rush Cemetery is worth hiking to, as is Lower Reid Falls.

Cheryl,

We did the White Pass RR on our last trip to Skagway. While I enjoyed it, I thought that it was a bit overrated. I would recommend it for someone who is really into trains.

It was frustrating to attempt taking pictures from a moving train. The train did make some very short stops for some scenic photo ops, but with the viewing platforms filled with platform hogs, it was hard to get out there to take pictures.

We are doing the car rental this time and can pick and choose when and where we stop.

Please take good care of the Pearl. We will be getting on when you get off.

Deb

If you're renting a car in Juneau - go see the Shrine of St. Therese - absolutely beautiful!!! When I lived there - that was one of my favorite places to go!

Also - someone posted pictures of the dailies in another thread - I converted them to PDF - if you would like a copy - shoot me an email at: michfish30@gmail.com.

10 weeks to go - I can hardly stand myself! The waiting is going to kill me!

We don't have excursions booked for Skagway and Juneau....have gotten some good ideas but wondered if there were cetain stores in either port that are must see's....I know a lot of the stores are strictly tourist types so wondered if there were local must see places.

We don't have excursions booked for Skagway and Juneau....have gotten some good ideas but wondered if there were cetain stores in either port that are must see's....I know a lot of the stores are strictly tourist types so wondered if there were local must see places.

Cheryl - hope you have a wonderful cruise. We take the Pearl right after you. Let me know if there was a favorie waiter/server...we'll be sure to ask for him/her.

Anyone else recently take the Pearl to Alaska and had a wonderful waiter/server they can recommend asking for?

• 2 weeks later...
Cheryl - hope you have a wonderful cruise. We take the Pearl right after you. Let me know if there was a favorie waiter/server...we'll be sure to ask for him/her.

Anyone else recently take the Pearl to Alaska and had a wonderful waiter/server they can recommend asking for?

I will be sure and let you know if we have a favorite as soon as I find one! We have 22 days and counting!

Archived