Torquay to TA from southampton - how?

We will be visiting in Torquay before going to Southampton for our TA on the Eclipse on Oct. 30th. I'm checking train schedules, and also heard of a potential Celebrity bus pick up. Any advice? Could anyone who has done it give us info?

Thanks!

Been to Torquay but from there to Stansted, and we had a rental car which we picked up at LHR- at the time there was no drop fee, but don't know about recent policies. Friends of ours took the train from London to meet us in Torquay- at worst you'd have to go to London from there and take a different train to Southampton.

It would be great if Celeb has a bus transfer from Torquay to Southampton, but that seems unlikely to me, unless @40 people from the area are on your sailing.

Perhaps there's someone on your roll call from Torquay who's driving to the pier and wouldn't mind having you along..Or what about the National Bus?

I suspect that one of our UK cruisers will have an exact answer for your dilemma!!!

We will be visiting in Torquay before going to Southampton for our TA on the Eclipse on Oct. 30th. I'm checking train schedules, and also heard of a potential Celebrity bus pick up. Any advice? Could anyone who has done it give us info?

Thanks!

Aunt Tina,

If I'm not mistaken, the National Rail website only shows rail service for up to 90 days in advance, so it will be a couple of months (give or take a few weeks) until you can see that actual timetables for October 30. In the meantime, you could put in a dummy date (any Sunday in August, for example) to get an idea of train times. (But for your purposes, the results aren't promising--I've just done a quick check.)

In any case, I would offer several caveats about this journey: 1) Torquay to Southampton is not a direct route; you would have to change trains twice (at either Newton Abbot or Exeter and again at Westbury). Apart from the inconvenience of this, any change of trains increases you chance of delay. If your first train is late, the "connecting" train won't wait for it. 2) Track work frequently is carried out on a Sunday, with the consequence that trains may be delayed or replaced with a bus service for all or part of a particular route, thereby increasing your overall travel time.

Assuming that a) you are taking the train from Torquay to Southampton and b) you need to check in at the Southampton cruise terminal no later than 2 or 3 pm (and probably earlier) on the day of your sailing (Oct. 30), I would strongly suggest that you arrive in Southampton the previous evening and stay there overnight.

For what it's worth, I very much doubt that Celebrity would offer a special coach (bus) transfer service to Southampton from Torquay. But perhaps they might offer such a service from Exeter?

BTW, I checked the National Express website, just for fun. The FASTEST National Express coach trip from Torquay to So'ton takes 6 hours 55 minutes and involves a 45-minute layover at Exeter, where you change to another coach.

Thanks for the info - now I will have to do more checking! It is possible for us to get a ride to Exeter - which may help. I will seriously think about staying overnight in Southhampton!

Chris

Fear not, Aunt Tina, there is an easy answer. By train. On that sunday. :)

As the Post-captain says, you can't access train timetables more than 12 weeks ahead, but the vast majority will be unchanged.

The Cap'n checked out trains from Torquay on a random sunday.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

and found that the earliest service on a sunday departs Torquay 11.05, change at Newton Abbot to the 11.16 London-bound train, change again at Westbury for the 13.00 train to Southampton, arrives So'ton 14.05.

Which is ok if there's no hold-ups or missed connections, but it's cutting things fine.

However, although train drivers in Torquay can't get out of bed on a sunday morning (its a local line), there is an earlier service if you take a taxi to Newtown Abbot (on the main line), only about a 20 minute drive.

So check out trains from Newton Abbot rather than Torquay & you'll find:

From Newton Abbot take the 09.20 to Westbury, arrives 10.55. From Westbury the 11.00 to Southampton, arrives Southampton 12.02.

Yes, I know, that's just 5 mins leeway at Westbury.

But if you miss the connection, there's another deps Westbury 12.03 arrives Southampton 13.06. And another deps Westbury 13.00 arrives Southampton 14.02

And its good value at £20 pp

Post-captain's quite right that there's often engineering work on the railways on a sunday. But it's pre-arranged scheduled work, and publicised on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.html

Subject to checking for timetable changes & engineering work in due course, I don't see a problem.

John Bull :)

Thanks to both Post Captain and John for this info - I feel better! I'd like to stay in Torquay overnight on Saturday - so this info from John gives lots of possibilities. Thank you both for taking the time to investigate this for me - I really appreciate it.

Chris

Fear not, Aunt Tina, there is an easy answer. By train. On that sunday. :)

As the Post-captain says, you can't access train timetables more than 12 weeks ahead, but the vast majority will be unchanged.

The Cap'n checked out trains from Torquay on a random sunday.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

and found that the earliest service on a sunday departs Torquay 11.05, change at Newton Abbot to the 11.16 London-bound train, change again at Westbury for the 13.00 train to Southampton, arrives So'ton 14.05. Yep, that's the one.

Which is ok if there's no hold-ups or missed connections, but it's cutting things fine. Very fine indeed, as in my mind those are pretty big ifs.

However, although train drivers in Torquay can't get out of bed on a sunday morning (its a local line), there is an earlier service if you take a taxi to Newtown Abbot (on the main line), only about a 20 minute drive. Excellent idea. Now why didn't I think of that?:D Eliminating the late-morning Torquay-Newton Abbot boneshaker leg of the trip and, instead, taking a car to NA to catch the 9:20 NA-Westbury train really solves the whole problem!

So check out trains from Newton Abbot rather than Torquay & you'll find:

From Newton Abbot take the 09.20 to Westbury, arrives 10.55. From Westbury the 11.00 to Southampton, arrives Southampton 12.02.

Yes, I know, that's just 5 mins leeway at Westbury. JB, an Amtrak train would never make that connection on time!:eek: But seriously--I do wonder, what percentage of the time do you think they actually make the connection? BTW, I would think that the Southampton train would come in on the same platform, but I'm not certain. There are three tracks at Westbury station, and two platforms. There's a possibility Aunt Tina might have to haul her luggage from one platform to another--in five minutes!

But if you miss the connection, there's another deps Westbury 12.03 arrives Southampton 13.06. And another deps Westbury 13.00 arrives Southampton 14.02 JB: Just out of curiosity, is there anything to do in Westbury, besides going to look at the White Horse? I would imagine the pubs in Westbury serve White Horse scotch whisky--but that's another subject altogether. (Mind you, I once was stuck in Axminster for several hours... Saw the entire town in a five-minute stroll, then settled into a pub for the duration until the bus to Lyme Regis ambled along.:))

And its good value at £20 pp Why, it's worth making the trip just to be able to say you did it for only £20!;)

Post-captain's quite right that there's often engineering work on the railways on a sunday. But it's pre-arranged scheduled work, and publicised on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.html

Subject to checking for timetable changes & engineering work in due course, I don't see a problem.

John Bull :)

Indeed, a very satisfactory and elegant solution. The Gordian knot untied!

Indeed, a very satisfactory and elegant solution. The Gordian knot untied!

At Westbury, train in from N.A. on platform 1, train out to So'ton on platform 3. Not exactly Grand Central Station, on google street-view there doesn't even seem to be a pedestrian bridge, it looks like you cross the track.

So if the train from NA is 4 mins late the OP will still catch the So'ton train, if its 6 mins late the OP will miss it, if its 5 mins late the OP will be under it :eek::D

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=westbury+wilts&aq=&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=9.791821,26.938477&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Westbury,+Wiltshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.267769,-2.19821&spn=0,0.026307&z=15&layer=c&cbll=51.26769,-2.198026&panoid=lFcFFZUQEuUfHdJk1UffBw&cbp=12,215.89,,1,7.42

Some trains are held for a few minutes to enable passengers to make a planned connection. That would be the case for the train from NA to Torquay, but mebbe not the other way round. Don't know about for the Westbury connection.

But most UK rail connections, I guess 95%, work out - from leading the world, railways in Britain declined to be a european joke but we're much much better now. And in a different league to Amtrak.

I don't know Westbury at all, but if you thought Axminster was a bit small ......;)

And the station's a mile out of town, so not worth leaving the station for an hour if a connection is missed.

BTW, the Gordian Knot never did get untied. The sneaky b..... sliced it with his sword :cool:

JB :)

OK - you are making me nervous! We are going on a two week transatlantic cruise - so we will each have a full suitcase and a carry-on. Two 'OLDER" ladies getting social security - and I'm under 5 feet tall - will probably not be able to muscle the big suitcases up and down the stairs!!!

Maybe we could stand next to the stairs and look needy!

Chris

OK - you are making me nervous! We are going on a two week transatlantic cruise - so we will each have a full suitcase and a carry-on. Two 'OLDER" ladies getting social security - and I'm under 5 feet tall - will probably not be able to muscle the big suitcases up and down the stairs!!!

Chris

To quote the redoubtable John Bull: "Fear not, Aunt Tina, there is an easy answer."

My research (see below) shows that the Westbury station has lifts (elevators) to convey your & your luggage up or down between the platforms and the subway (pedestrian tunnel under the tracks).:) No need to huff & puff your way up the stairs or dash across the tracks before an oncoming train flattens you & said luggage.

The National Rail website includes this extraordinarily detailed diagram of the Westbury railway station:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/WSB/plan.html?rtnloc=WSB

Not only that, but also run your cursor over various elements on the map, and you will see pop-up photos of the station and its facilities, with text descriptions. Great fun!:cool:

You certainly won't find that level of information on the Amtrak website.

Yes indeed, the British railway system has come a long way since British Rail. But I do miss the old "Travellers' Fare" railway catering, especially the ham & cheese sandwiches--a sliver-thin slice of ham & a sliver-thin slice of cheese nearly invisible between two extremely thin slices of white bread.:rolleyes: (Wot, no Branston Pickle?)

Yes indeed, the British railway system has come a long way since British Rail. But I do miss the old "Travellers' Fare" railway catering, especially the ham & cheese sandwiches--a sliver-thin slice of ham & a sliver-thin slice of cheese nearly invisible between two extremely thin slices of white bread.:rolleyes: (Wot, no Branston Pickle?)

Did you know that there used to be a special way of making these fine comestibles, folding the ham slice in such a way that, when cut, it looked like TWO slices? I actually work as a volunteer for a heritage railway whose ambiance is aimed at the 1950s and 60s, but fortunately we don't try and reproduce this particular facet of the operation.:D

Chris

Good job that the Cap'n has solved your problem. ;)

Your own solution would be impractical.

You'd need a super-short skirt and low-cut blouse - not ideal at the end of October :D

We will look for the lifts! I'll also check out the website!

Before coming to England, I only used Amtrak once, when my husband fell and broke his leg and needed to travel to Albany for a conference. It is not used much in upstate NY for passenger travel.

Chris

Aunt Tina

One word of warning about this line, it is subject to unexpected 'engineering works' so for parts of the route the train is replaced with a bus, or cancelled connecting trains. Particularly on Sundays.

A couple of years ago, we lived in Fareham (Nr Southampton)and our Daughter went to school in Teignmouth (nr Torbay) so she had to use this route frequently, many's the time she should have been safely back at school at 6.00pm on Sundays for us to get a call at 9.30pm lettings us know she was nearly there.

Our friends who have to travel this route still complain about how unreliable this route is. Yes you can get your tickets refunded but would hate for you to end up stranded, so take this into consideration with your timings

I called my aunt in Torquay to see if she could do some checking for us. However, if they are unexpected, unplanned delays we would definitely be in trouble. Since I haven't seen her in over 10 years, I was hoping to spend as much time as possible ( we arrive on Thursday!).

It sounds like this route is as much fun as our airlines! Buy a ticket and take a chance!

I called my aunt in Torquay to see if she could do some checking for us. However, if they are unexpected, unplanned delays we would definitely be in trouble. Since I haven't seen her in over 10 years, I was hoping to spend as much time as possible ( we arrive on Thursday!).

It sounds like this route is as much fun as our airlines! Buy a ticket and take a chance!

You have a minimum of 2 hours leeway on top of the scheduled 2hrs 40mins. Means the train has to be over 2hrs late getting to Westbury before you start panicking

That's good. :)

However unlikely, if the worst came to the worst:

- and the train from Westbury were totally screwed-up, a taxi would take only about 1hr 15mins (10 mins more than the train) to get you the 50 miles to Southampton.

- or if the train from Newton Abbot were totally screwed-up, a taxi would take under 90 mins to get you the 67 miles from N/Abbot to Dorchester (Dorchester South Rail Station). Train from there to Southampton every hour on the hour (train journey 1hr 23 mins, £20 pp, no changes, pretty scenery) A much more direct route along the coast, but unfortunately the railway on this route doesn't go further west than Dorchester.

Total journey time 2hrs 53mins (or 3hrs 52mins if you just missed a train)

That's good. :)

If you have a fat purse :D

No worries. :cool:

Where there's a will......

I see that First Class rail service is available on this route for £159. Can you tell me, is it worth paying that much? Is First Class more likely than "Standard Class" to arrive at the destination on time???:confused::confused::D:D;)

I see that First Class rail service is available on this route for £159. Can you tell me, is it worth paying that much? Is First Class more likely than "Standard Class" to arrive at the destination on time???:confused::D

Don't knock the first-classfare, Cap'n.

At £159 it's a truly first-class fare. Much classier than a £20 fare. A top-notch fare. A world-beating fare. A prince among fares. :D

As on aircraft, first-class is at the front of the train, so the first-class passenger does indeed arrive several milli-seconds before those in cattle-class.

But unlike on aircraft, the cattle do not have to pass through first-class when boarding or alighting, to drool over what they were missing.

Which is not a lot. ;)

Archived